The Year of the Flood: A Novel by Margaret…

The Year of the Flood: A Novel (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Margaret Atwood

4,1872451,196 ()526
Member:katekari
Title:The Year of the Flood: A Novel
Authors:Margaret Atwood
Info:Nan A. Talese (2009), Edition: First Printing, Hardcover, 448 pages

The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood (2009)

English (231)  Catalan (6)  Finnish (3)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (242)
This book is the second in the MaddAddam trilogy. Rather than picking up where Oryx and Crake left off the timeframe is roughly parallel to the first novel, and we are introduced to two new protagonists: Ren and Toby. In a similar style as Oryx and Crake (flashbacks), we begin to understand that the pandemic, and everything leading up to it, is much bigger than the events that took place in the first book - bigger than Crake's vision and Jimmy's world. We also learn more about God's Gardeners and MaddAddam. The book ends around the time where Oryx and Crake left off, although from a different perspective.

I was a little hesitant going into this one, since others seemed to like it less than the first. I do think I liked Oryx and Crake a little more - however, I think the characters in The Year of the Flood are more likeable, and the plot itself is great. Atwood does a great job weaving in little details that tie things to the first novel - details that only the attentive reader would pick up. Although you could probably read The Year of the Flood before Oryx and Crake (and some people have), I personally wouldn't recommend it. Although the plot lines themselves are not dependent on each other, there is information gleaned from the second book that can only be truly understood by those readers with a fundamental understanding of the world, the characters, and what happened in the first. And, honestly, I wouldn't give up those "Ah-ha!" moments I had while reading The Year of the Flood.

This book is more focused on religion than science, although not necessarily "religion" as we know it. Rather than worshiping a central God figure, the Gardeners see God in all life - plant, animal, insects. I admit that I did skim through Adam One's sermons/hymns (present in the beginning of each title section of the book, about a page and a half). I understand what Atwood was accomplishing by including this, but for me, it wasn't really necessary.

Some people may find this book a frustrating sequel, as it's linear nature provides no conclusion for the first book - but personally, this didn't bother me at all.

It just so happened I was at the right place at the right time - the third and final book of the series, MaddAddam, was on sale at my library for $2 on Saturday! Perfect timing. Looking forward to reading it next! ( )
  skrouhan | Feb 16, 2015 |
I enjoyed this book a great deal more than Oryx and Crake, primarily because Toby and Ren were so much more palatable to take as protagonists than Jimmy and Glenn were in the first book. Also there just seemed to be a good deal more humanity all around in this sequel than in the original. ( )
  poingu | Jan 29, 2015 |
I do love Margaret Atwood's imagination and creativity, she was writing dystopia before it became a thing and she does it very well. She clearly has a complete view of her world and how characters will function within it. I think it's her particular style that I don't like so much, so much of the story seems to be exposition. And there are times when a whole scene is in past tense. I said this, he said that, then i said, then he said, I said, then she said. It's clunky and irritating because Atwood writes scenes really well, and those are my favourites. The ones of Toby figuring out how to best the pigs that are messing her garden, Ren and Amanda trying to survive on their own. That action, that now story, is the best part, the rest of the story is backstory of how the characters came to be where they are. While scenes are interspersed in the narrative, there is far too much explaining going on, I'd rather just be in the now story. We could have started the story with Ren as an 11 year old winding up in the cult, not seeing her 10 years later and then get flashbacks of her at 11 years old.

I may have missed it, because each chapter seems to begin with a sermon and hymn from Adam One and they're a little tedious, but I didn't see the point when the waterless flood began. I'm guessing its a pandemic because that's mentioned later, but there's really no climactic moment of the flood hitting. But like I said, I may have missed it.

I did still enjoy the story, and I do admire and love Atwood, I just prefer backstory sprinkled through now story and not dumped on me in one hit. ( )
  littleton_pace | Dec 21, 2014 |
One of the best sci-fi-y/dystopian novels I've ever read. Atwood crafts an awe-inspiring, terrifying world, and fills it with characters that are incredibly engaging, flawed yet inspiring. ( )
1 vote Thomper | Nov 21, 2014 |
This was really intense, such great detail! I love the versions of the future Atwood comes up with! ( )
1 vote trayceetee | Nov 15, 2014 |
Om Margaret Atwoods ”Syndaflodens år” kommer att räknas till de stora framtidsskildringarna går inte att säga ännu, men potentialen finns.

That it's funnier and less gruelling than The Handmaid's Tale owes much to Lorelei King's honey-coated reading and the enchantingly old-fashioned hymns from the God's Gardeners' Oral Hymn Book, sung by the equally honey-voiced Orville Stoeber. Now that's something you could never get from the printed page.
added by peterbrown | editThe Guardian, Sue Arnold (Oct 31, 2009)

In Hieronymus Bosch–like detail, Atwood renders this civilization and these two lives within it with tenderness and insight, a healthy dread, and a guarded humor.

"The Year of the Flood" is a slap-happy romp through the end times. Stuffed with cornball hymns, genetic mutations worthy of Thomas Pynchon (such as the rakuunk, a combined skunk and raccoon) and a pharmaceutical company run amok, it reads like dystopia verging on satire. She may be imagining a world in flames, but she's doing it with a dark cackle.

Personally, though, I prefer Atwood in a retro mood. I’d easily take “Alias Grace” or “The Blind Assassin” over the lucid nightmares of “The Handmaid’s Tale” or “Oryx and Crake.” But fans of those novels should grab a biohazard suit, crawl into a hermetically sealed fallout shelter, and dive right in.

Margaret Atwoodprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bramhall, MarkReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Drews, KristiinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
THE GARDEN

Who is it tends the Garden,
The Garden oh so green?

’Twas once the finest Garden
That ever has been seen.

And in it God’s dear Creatures
Did swim and fly and play;

But then came greedy Spoilers,
And killed them all away.

And all the Trees that flourished
And gave us wholesome fruit,

By waves of sand are buried,
Both leaf and branch and root.

And all the shining Water
Is turned to slime and mire,

And all the feathered Birds so bright
Have ceased their joyful choir.

Oh Garden, oh my Garden
I’ll mourn forevermore
Until the Gardeners arise,
And you to Life restore.

From The God’s Gardeners Oral Hymnbook
For Graeme and Jess
In the early morning Toby climbs up to the rooftop to watch the sunrise.
Maybe sadness was a kind of hunger, she thought. Maybe the two went together.

The times and species have been changing at a rapid rate, and the social compact is wearing as thin as environmental stability. Adam One, the kindly leader of the God's Gardeners--a religion devoted to the melding of science and religion, as well as the preservation of all plant and animal life--has long predicted a natural disaster that will alter Earth as we know it. Now it has occurred, obliterating most human life. Two women have survived: Ren, a young trapeze dancer locked inside the high-end sex club Scales and Tails, and Toby, a God's Gardener barricaded inside a luxurious spa where many of the treatments are edible. The long-awaited new novel from Margaret Atwood. The Year of the Flood is a dystopic masterpiece and a testament to her visionary power.

Have others survived? Ren's bioartist friend Amanda? Zeb, her eco-fighter stepfather? Her onetime lover, Jimmy? Or the murderous Painballers, survivors of the mutual-elimination Painball prison? Not to mention the shadowy, corrupt policing force of the ruling powers...

Meanwhile, gene-spliced life forms are proliferating: the lion/lamb blends, the Mo'hair sheep with human hair, the pigs with human brain tissue. As Adam One and his intrepid hemp-clad band make their way through this strange new world, Ren and Toby will have to decide on their next move. They can't stay locked away...

From Amazon.com

From the Publisher: The times and species have been changing at a rapid rate, and the social compact is wearing as thin as environmental stability. Adam One, the kindly leader of the God's Gardeners-a religion devoted to the melding of science and religion, as well as the preservation of all plant and animal life-has long predicted a natural disaster that will alter Earth as we know it. Now it has occurred, obliterating most human life. Two women have survived: Ren, a young trapeze dancer locked inside the high-end sex club Scales and Tails, and Toby, a God's Gardener barricaded inside a luxurious spa where many of the treatments are edible. Have others survived? Ren's bioartist friend Amanda? Zeb, her eco-fighter stepfather? Her onetime lover, Jimmy? Or the murderous Painballers, survivors of the mutual-elimination Painball prison? Not to mention the shadowy, corrupt policing force of the ruling powers. Meanwhile, gene-spliced life forms are proliferating: the lion/lamb blends, the Mo'hair sheep with human hair, the pigs with human brain tissue. As Adam One and his intrepid hemp-clad band make their way through this strange new world, Ren and Toby will have to decide on their next move, but they can't stay locked away. By turns dark, tender, violent, thoughtful, and uneasily hilarious, The Year of the Flood is Atwood at her most brilliant and inventive.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

L'any del diluvi by Margaret Atwood was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,705,177 books! | Top bar: Always visible