The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood

The Year of the Flood (original 2009; edition 2010)

by Margaret Atwood

Member:srbr1212
Title:The Year of the Flood
Authors:Margaret Atwood
Info:Anchor (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 448 pages
Rating:***1/2

The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood (2009)

English (238)  Catalan (6)  Finnish (3)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (249)
Wow this book is weird but beautiful. Set in a futuristic world rife with cults and all-powerful mega-corporations. The main characters are all members of an apocalyptic cult called "the Gardeners". This cult combines the weirdest parts of Christianity with the most annoying parts of hippie philosophy to create a religion that manages to be extremely conservative and idiotically nicey-nice at the same time. Unfortunately, the Gardeners are right and a "waterless flood" is coming - a plague that will wipe out most of the population. Who will survive in this crazy new world? ( )
  Juva | Mar 30, 2015 |
the view of the world from Oryx and Crake was bleak and sterile with everything neatly contained and packaged for consumption reminiscent of Logan's Run or Gattaca. there was also an underlying feeling of being off-center, i think, because it was told from Jimmy's point of view. Year of the Flood let's us out of the corporate compounds (ie Jimmy's ruminations) and into the less orderly "pleeblands" where life more resembles what we're used to.

Atwood weaves together a view of a post-plague world from several characters's personal stories; an ensemble cast is used this time to deepen our understanding and change our perspective. as always, she seldom comes right out of tells us anything, she leaves it up to the reader to glean certain facts as the story unfolds, just as we would if we were living in it.

questions are again asked of the reader: what is life worth with no one else in it? will the new spliced species of human creation wipe out all humans? what does it mean when a species is superseded by another species of its own making? what does having the power to wipe out all of humanity mean? is it right to utilize that power? et al.

religion and science are dealt with pragmatically, as social constructs that the characters use; she does not make conclusions about their worth or validity- vignettes are displayed and the reader gets to make up his or her mind about them.

the book represents well-written science fiction. again, nothing too new but her handling of characters and slowly revealing pieces and parts of the tale she's telling makes this top-notch sci-fi. ( )
  keebrook | Mar 10, 2015 |
I am on a binge reading MaddAddam marathon and while this is typically not my genre of choice, I am so caught up in the trilogy, I am literally going from one book to the next. I read The Year of the Flood when it first came out, not realizing it was part of a trilogy, so I reread it after the first book, Oryx and Crake, and I am now on the final book MaddAddam. Margaret Atwood has quite a gift when it comes to storytelling and it is not only easy to be swept away into the various story lines, but also impossible not to care about the people and long to know about them before the waterless flood as well as after. Again, this is not a genre I typically enjoy, which to me proves just how gifted a writer Margaret Atwood is. Now back to MaddAddam. ( )
  knittingmomof3 | Feb 26, 2015 |
I was held up by sickness (sinus pain= not good for reading) but I finally finished this novel and was quite pleased with it. I am about to begin Oryx & Crake (yes I know it came first) and am excited to compare. ( )
  walksaloneatnight | Feb 24, 2015 |
  walksaloneatnight | Feb 24, 2015 |
Om Margaret Atwoods ”Syndaflodens år” kommer att räknas till de stora framtidsskildringarna går inte att säga ännu, men potentialen finns.

That it's funnier and less gruelling than The Handmaid's Tale owes much to Lorelei King's honey-coated reading and the enchantingly old-fashioned hymns from the God's Gardeners' Oral Hymn Book, sung by the equally honey-voiced Orville Stoeber. Now that's something you could never get from the printed page.
added by peterbrown | editThe Guardian, Sue Arnold (Oct 31, 2009)

In Hieronymus Bosch–like detail, Atwood renders this civilization and these two lives within it with tenderness and insight, a healthy dread, and a guarded humor.

"The Year of the Flood" is a slap-happy romp through the end times. Stuffed with cornball hymns, genetic mutations worthy of Thomas Pynchon (such as the rakuunk, a combined skunk and raccoon) and a pharmaceutical company run amok, it reads like dystopia verging on satire. She may be imagining a world in flames, but she's doing it with a dark cackle.

Personally, though, I prefer Atwood in a retro mood. I’d easily take “Alias Grace” or “The Blind Assassin” over the lucid nightmares of “The Handmaid’s Tale” or “Oryx and Crake.” But fans of those novels should grab a biohazard suit, crawl into a hermetically sealed fallout shelter, and dive right in.

Margaret Atwoodprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bramhall, MarkReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Drews, KristiinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
THE GARDEN

Who is it tends the Garden,
The Garden oh so green?

’Twas once the finest Garden
That ever has been seen.

And in it God’s dear Creatures
Did swim and fly and play;

But then came greedy Spoilers,
And killed them all away.

And all the Trees that flourished
And gave us wholesome fruit,

By waves of sand are buried,
Both leaf and branch and root.

And all the shining Water
Is turned to slime and mire,

And all the feathered Birds so bright
Have ceased their joyful choir.

Oh Garden, oh my Garden
I’ll mourn forevermore
Until the Gardeners arise,
And you to Life restore.

From The God’s Gardeners Oral Hymnbook
For Graeme and Jess
In the early morning Toby climbs up to the rooftop to watch the sunrise.
Maybe sadness was a kind of hunger, she thought. Maybe the two went together.

The times and species have been changing at a rapid rate, and the social compact is wearing as thin as environmental stability. Adam One, the kindly leader of the God's Gardeners--a religion devoted to the melding of science and religion, as well as the preservation of all plant and animal life--has long predicted a natural disaster that will alter Earth as we know it. Now it has occurred, obliterating most human life. Two women have survived: Ren, a young trapeze dancer locked inside the high-end sex club Scales and Tails, and Toby, a God's Gardener barricaded inside a luxurious spa where many of the treatments are edible. The long-awaited new novel from Margaret Atwood. The Year of the Flood is a dystopic masterpiece and a testament to her visionary power.

Have others survived? Ren's bioartist friend Amanda? Zeb, her eco-fighter stepfather? Her onetime lover, Jimmy? Or the murderous Painballers, survivors of the mutual-elimination Painball prison? Not to mention the shadowy, corrupt policing force of the ruling powers...

Meanwhile, gene-spliced life forms are proliferating: the lion/lamb blends, the Mo'hair sheep with human hair, the pigs with human brain tissue. As Adam One and his intrepid hemp-clad band make their way through this strange new world, Ren and Toby will have to decide on their next move. They can't stay locked away...

From Amazon.com

From the Publisher: The times and species have been changing at a rapid rate, and the social compact is wearing as thin as environmental stability. Adam One, the kindly leader of the God's Gardeners-a religion devoted to the melding of science and religion, as well as the preservation of all plant and animal life-has long predicted a natural disaster that will alter Earth as we know it. Now it has occurred, obliterating most human life. Two women have survived: Ren, a young trapeze dancer locked inside the high-end sex club Scales and Tails, and Toby, a God's Gardener barricaded inside a luxurious spa where many of the treatments are edible. Have others survived? Ren's bioartist friend Amanda? Zeb, her eco-fighter stepfather? Her onetime lover, Jimmy? Or the murderous Painballers, survivors of the mutual-elimination Painball prison? Not to mention the shadowy, corrupt policing force of the ruling powers. Meanwhile, gene-spliced life forms are proliferating: the lion/lamb blends, the Mo'hair sheep with human hair, the pigs with human brain tissue. As Adam One and his intrepid hemp-clad band make their way through this strange new world, Ren and Toby will have to decide on their next move, but they can't stay locked away. By turns dark, tender, violent, thoughtful, and uneasily hilarious, The Year of the Flood is Atwood at her most brilliant and inventive.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

L'any del diluvi by Margaret Atwood was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,566,284 books! | Top bar: Always visible