The golden mean : in which the extraordinary…

The golden mean : in which the extraordinary correspondence of Griffin &… (original 1993; edition 1993)

by Nick Bantock

1,820233,842 (4.05)31
Member:crthomson
Title:The golden mean : in which the extraordinary correspondence of Griffin & Sabine concludes
Authors:Nick Bantock
Info:Chippendale, [N.S.W.] : Macmillan Australia, 1993.

The Golden Mean: In Which the Extraordinary Correspondence of Griffin & Sabine Concludes by Nick Bantock (1993)

English (22)  Dutch (1)  All (23)
The series ends on a creepy set of circumstances. As far as I could tell, despite trying to meet up 'on middle ground', Sabine doesn't ever connect with Griffin. The plot is somewhat derailed by the introduction of the sinister Victor Frolatti. ( )
  SandyAMcPherson | Jun 24, 2017 |
Well....fascinating. Just fascinating. A discussion group on this series should be lively. Oh the possibilities! Anyone can read this series in a day. For some, the story and its myriad facets will remain for a long time. What really did happen?

I would like to recommend these books to everyone, but they aren't for everyone. Some won't appreciate the quirky, odd, meaningful art. Most would like the format, I'd guess. Some won't like the unknowns, but I find them delicious. Food for the mind. And the details. If you read it, pay attention to all the details on every page. Just notice them. ( )
  Rascalstar | Jan 21, 2017 |
Failing to meet up in the previous book Griffin and Sabine chalk up their inability to meet face to face to belonging to separate dimensions. Which I suppose might seem romantic to some people. To me it sounded like "woo" justification for being completely incapable of arranging a simple rendevous, despite their ostensible desire for eachother.

In any case this allows Bantock to maintain his old epistolary format, once again restricting his characters' action to the page. To balance the inevitable inertia he introduces a new correspondant, one Frolatti. He is a villain! He threatens Sabine! He coerces Griffin! He is apparently dangerously obsessed with the would be lovers! Unfortunately he's clearly a plot device hastily wrapped up in what's meant to be some sort of uncanny existential threat. That or Griffin and Sabine are just bonkers as they confide their belief that he is sinister flocks of birds and the like.

Conveniently at the end of the book they pull some random bit of wishful mysticism out of their butts and are suddenly convinced that it is the one and only magical doorway that will connect their worlds! Just as they believe Frolatti is closing in on them of course.

I liked this story better when the mystery was in it's openness to interpretation, not mystical wankery. ( )
  fundevogel | Jun 20, 2016 |
My blog post about this book is at this link. ( )
  SuziQoregon | May 27, 2016 |
"The Golden Mean," the third book in Nick Bantock's first Griffin and Sabine trilogy comes to a somewhat dissatisfying end.... (without getting into spoilers, I think I "get" it but I still have lots of questions.)

The ending aside, this book remains fun to read for the same reason the earlier books were -- I love the idea of reading someone else's mail as the premise of a book and this is just so effectively done with the actual postcards and letters.

I will probably carry on reading the second trilogy since I remember very little of it (much less than this original set.) ( )
  amerynth | Oct 19, 2015 |
A vast image...troubles my sight
To Annie Barrows
Sabine, I was sure I understood.

Sabine -- I was sure I understood. Yet you were not here when I returned and there was no sign that you ever had been here.... Today comes your card saying you were in this house for three days after my return. I am bewildered. I need you badly. -- Griffin

In this final volume of the phenomenal, best-selling trilogy begun with Griffin & Sabine and continued in Sabine's Notebook, the mystery of the two artists deepens, their questions grow more urgent. New obstacles (including a sinister intruder) test the tenacity of their passion, and in each letter or postcard, painting and prose are even more richly intertwined. Destined to be the most sought after novel of the year, The Golden Mean builds toward a powerful conclusion that will satisfy the millions of readers already entranced by the spirited, imaginative, enigmatic union of Griffin and Sabine.

With over 50 weeks on the New York Times bestseller list and one million copies in print, the first two volumes of this unique trilogy have captured the imagination of readers and reviewers across the country.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:34 -0400)

The Griffin & Sabine and continued in Sabine's Notebook concludes as the mystery of the two artists deepens and the content of each letter or postcard ultimately reveals the secrets behind their spirited, imaginative union.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,237,680 books! | Top bar: Always visible