Walking the Choctaw Road: Stories From Red…

Walking the Choctaw Road: Stories From Red People Memory

by Tim Tingle

These tales were fascinating to listen to. Tingle's voice truly captivates his audience and immerses them into his stories.
  kali.joy | Sep 28, 2015 |
I loved Tim Tingle's collection of stories about the Red People and his works make me want to hear more about the hardships, culture and daily life of these great people. Tingle touches on the injustices and cruelty done to the Choctaw (and other tribes) by white settlers and the US government, but he does it gently, weaving it into the story, without bitterness or blame. ( )
  lildrafire | Dec 30, 2009 |
Walking the Choctaw Road is a book filled with tales told from tongue to tongue, and heard generation after generation. Oral history and the beauty of a culture that makes the time to pass on wisdom, dreams, legends through communication, in person communication. Tingle grasps ancient tribal memories, supernatural events, and historical accounts to further the heritage of the present day Choctaw people. Walking the Choctaw Road contains eleven stories that give a glimpse into the core of the strength and desire to endure of the Choctaw people.

Tim Tingle doesn't leave out the horrors, the sadness or the tale of the journey, he embraces the devastation just as much as the victory as all being of equal importance to the generations to come. In a world of immediate gratification, I see the value in learning to wait, being patient, and not getting everything you want exactly when you first want it.

There is something magical in hearing words passed on which have endured generation after generation. I hope to someday have a chance to sit in on a storytelling, but for now I am satisfied with Tim Tingle and reading Walking the Choctaw Road. I enjoyed reading the stories, it holds and as I read I could imagine myself sitting listening to a master storyteller, with a deep voice and pacing slightly. This was a great read!

For more of my reviews: http://exlibrisbb.blogspot.com ( )
  Bbexlibris | Mar 27, 2009 |

In Walking the Choctaw Road, Tingle reaches far back into tribal memory to offer this deeply personal collection of stories woven from the supernatural, mythical, historical and oral accounts of Choctaw people living today. Native American storyteller Joe Bruchac says, “For a good many years now, Tim Tingle has been one of my favorite American story-tellers. Walking the Choctaw Road . . . will stay with you and lend you some of its strength. Cross the river with these stories—they’ll give you safe passage.”

Tim Tingle lives in Canyon Lake, Texas. His appearances throughout the nation push book sales. The cloth edition of this book sold out in little more than a year and is now in its second printing.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:37 -0400)

A collection of twelve stories of the Choctaw people, including traditional lore arising from beliefs and myths, historical tales passed down through generations, and personal stories of contemporary life.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,012,610 books! | Top bar: Always visible