The Passage by Justin Cronin

The Passage (edition 2010)

by Justin Cronin

5,706458745 (3.9)1 / 438
Member:JoEllen1503
Title:The Passage
Authors:Justin Cronin
Info:Ballantine Books (2010), Edition: First Edition, First Printing, Hardcover, 784 pages
Tags:post-apocalyptic

The Passage by Justin Cronin

The Stand by Stephen King (Jacey25, drweb, smiteme)
    The Strain by Guillermo del Toro (kraaivrouw, smiteme, questionablepotato)
    kraaivrouw: Similar intentions and a lot more fun.
    Swan Song by Robert McCammon (Scottneumann)
    World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks (divinenanny)
    Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood (divinenanny)
    divinenanny: Post apocalyptic dystopia
    The Road by Cormac McCarthy (Anonymous user)
    Under The Dome by Stephen King (jlparent)
    jlparent: The Passage reminded me greatly of "Under the Dome", with its intense look at how people cope in a 'new' world. Obviously it's also is hugely reminiscent of "The Stand" as already recommended.
    The Green Mile by Stephen King (Thomas.Taylor)
    The Walking Dead: Compendium One by Robert Kirkman (Jacey25)
    A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller Jr. (readaholic12)
    readaholic12: post-apocalyptic multi-generational science fiction, cyclic history, human caused crisis
    Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: Both books are inventive dystopian novels of a future after a pandemic collapses civilization.
    The Reapers Are the Angels by Alden Bell (BeckyJG)
    Rot and Ruin by Jonathan Maberry (Scottneumann)
    Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons (Scottneumann)
    Earth Abides by George R. Stewart (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: This classic dystopian novel explores the world after an unspecified apocalypse. Like The Passage, Earth Abides involves both the scavenging of the remains of civilization rather than production and a journey to see how others have coped. No vampires, though.… (more)
    Pure by Julianna Baggott (Suhani)
    The Chrysalids by John Wyndham (kw50197)
    The Twelve by Justin Cronin (sturlington)
    sturlington: Well, you have to read the sequel!
    The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan (ahstrick)
    The Dead Lands by Benjamin Percy (4leschats)
    4leschats: Both this books and the 2 in The Passage Trilogy (The Passage and The Twelve)address alterations in the natural universe brought on by post-apocalyptic changes.

English (446)  Dutch (7)  German (3)  Swedish (3)  Danish (1)  French (1)  All languages (461)
Stephen King fans will love this book.
I don't know if he's doing it on purpose, but Cronin's writing is very similar to King's. I feel like his characters and situations are similar; there's the same balance of "ordinary life" and the mundane changed by collision with the horrific.
Cronin also has King's extreme lengthiness.
(This book went on FOREVER.) I often love long books, but when I got to the end of this book, I felt like I'd spent far too long with these characters. It ends on a cliffhanger - but I don't feel the urge to rush out and get the sequel; I feel like I've had enough for the foreseeable future.
Part of this was that, while I felt that the novel was creditably well-written, the ideas and events weren't particularly original or fascinating. Maybe I've just read too many post-apocalyptic novels at this point (NO! Never enough!) - but this just has such familiar scenarios... the experiment that gets out of hand, the zombie apocalypse, the vampire plague... (The monsters here are vampires that are created by a military experiment, in a very Walking-Dead-esque milieu.)
The packaging/marketing for this book is surprisingly sedate. The book itself is much more lurid. It's an odd decision on the part of the publisher, I felt. But I guess it's worked... big bestseller! Maybe people just don't like carrying around lurid covers on the subway these days. But if you're wondering what the book's actually like, I feel that this cover would have more accurately indicated the contents: http://www.fantasticliterature.com/resources/home/FN12.356.jpg
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
I received this book for free through a Goodreads First Reads giveaway.

For me the 1st few chapters left me scratching my head wondering where this story was going but I was determined to finish reading this book to the end. Don't get me wrong it's well written yet, this book for me was full of disappointment and frustration. I was disappointed because I ended up with more questions than answers. I frustrated because it seem to jump from one point to another. Which at times made the plot very hard to follow but later those jumps actually seem to make a little sense. Overall, it truly is worth the read but make sure you have the time to really sit down and enjoy it or you just might miss something important. ( )
  tianicolle | Jan 27, 2016 |
I received this book for free through a Goodreads First Reads giveaway.

tianicolle | Jan 27, 2016 |
Began with so much promise -- didn't want to put it down. However, it felt about 300 pages too long; I kept thinking "Ok, time to wrap this up..." and then it had an incredibly unsatisfying, pointless ending. I agree with some other reviewers that it certainly felt like it was written in hopes that it would become a movie -- I made that comment to my husband while reading it in the first stages where I actually loved it. I think the author certainly has talent; it just wasn't a good fit for me. However, I guess it says something that I'll likely read the next one to see where things go, even though I give it a "one-star" for the feeling it left me with: extreme disappointment. Maybe I have a hope for redemption in the second one... ( )
  SaraMSLIS | Jan 26, 2016 |
If this author were a tour guide, he would plan a trip from Brooklyn to Manhattan by way of San Francisco. And you might discover points of interest along the way, but mostly you’d be asking, “Why did we come this way?” The novel was quite interesting – at the beginning. Unfortunately it bogs down even before you reach the halfway point. Long before the conclusion, I just wanted it to end! This book should have been divided into a trilogy, it was so long and disjointed, but it is indeed, only the first book IN a trilogy! The length would have been acceptable had the entire book lived up to the quality of the first few chapters. It doesn’t. The characters who are interesting are killed off, the plot meanders all over the place, and the dialogue leaves much to be desired. Too many characters, too much going on, and a loss of focus made this novel a chore to read. ( )
  Maydacat | Jan 24, 2016 |
I turned The Passage's pages feverishly to find out what happened next.
added by simon_carr | editThe Observer, Alice Fisher (Jul 18, 2010)

Cronin leaps back and forth in time, sprinkling his narrative with diaries, ­e-mail messages, maps, newspaper articles and legal documents. Sustaining such a long book is a tough endeavor, and every so often his prose slackens into inert phrases (“his mind would be tumbling like a dryer”). For the most part, though, he artfully unspools his plot’s complexities, and seemingly superfluous details come to connect in remarkable ways.

added by mks27 | editThe New York Times, Mike Peed (Jun 25, 2010)

When all's said and done, The Passage is a wonderful idea for a book that – like too many American TV series – knows how good it is and therefore outstays its welcome. There are enough human themes (hope, love, survival, friendship, the power of dreams) to raise it well above the average horror, but its internal battle between the literary and the schlock will, I

T MAY already have the Stephen King stamp of approval and the Ridley Scott movie-script treatment but American author Justin Cronin's 800-page blockbuster The Passage comes from humble beginnings.

"Every book starts somewhere and this came from a dare of a nine-year-old child," he says of his daughter Iris, who wanted a story where a young girl saves the world.

Justin Croninprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brick, ScottNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lanceniece, LigitaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schroderus, ArtoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
When I have seen by Time's fell hand defac'd
the rich proud cost of outworn buried age;
When sometimes lofty towers I see down-raz'd,
And brass eternal slave to mortal rage;
When I have seen the hungry ocean gain
Advantage on the kingdom of the shore,
And the firm soil win of the watery main,
Increasing store with loss, and loss with store;
When I have seen such interchange of state,
Or state itself confounded to decay;
Ruin hath taught me thus to ruminate
That Time will come and take my love away.

-William Shakespeare, Sonnet 64
For my children, No bad dreams.
Before she became the Girl from Nowhere- the One Who Walked In, the First and Last and Only, who lived a thousand years- she was just a little girl in Iowa, named Amy.
He stepped into the stars.

It's called Project NOAH: a secret government experiment designed to weaponize the human body. But this experiment goes horribly awry when twelve test subjects escape, spreading a virus that turns human beings into something else-something hungrier, deadlier, and seemingly undestructible. The thirteenth test subject, a six-year-old girl named Amy, is rescued by an FBI agent. Together they flee to the mountains of Oregon, cut off from civilization as the disastrous repercussions of Project NOAH are unleashed upon the world. The Passage creates an all-too-believable world dominated by fear and the need to survive, and introduces the strange and silent girl who may hold in her hands the fate of the human race.

A security breach at a secret U.S. government facility unleashes the monstrous product of a chilling military experiment that only six-year-old orphan Amy Harper Bellafonte can stop.

Cemetery Dance

An edition of this book was published by Cemetery Dance.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Passage by Justin Cronin was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,200,174 books! | Top bar: Always visible