The Passage by Justin Cronin

The Passage (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Justin Cronin

6,083483677 (3.9)1 / 484
Title:The Passage
Authors:Justin Cronin
Info:Ballantine Books (2010), Edition: First Edition, First Printing, Hardcover, 784 pages

The Passage by Justin Cronin (2010)

The Stand by Stephen King (Jacey25, drweb, smiteme)
    The Strain by Guillermo del Toro (kraaivrouw, smiteme, questionablepotato)
    kraaivrouw: Similar intentions and a lot more fun.
    Swan Song by Robert McCammon (Scottneumann)
    World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks (divinenanny)
    Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood (divinenanny)
    divinenanny: Post apocalyptic dystopia
    The Road by Cormac McCarthy (Anonymous user)
    Under The Dome by Stephen King (jlparent)
    jlparent: The Passage reminded me greatly of "Under the Dome", with its intense look at how people cope in a 'new' world. Obviously it's also is hugely reminiscent of "The Stand" as already recommended.
    The Green Mile by Stephen King (Thomas.Taylor)
    The Walking Dead: Compendium One by Robert Kirkman (Jacey25)
    Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: Both books are inventive dystopian novels of a future after a pandemic collapses civilization.
    Pure by Julianna Baggott (Suhani)
    A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller Jr. (readaholic12)
    readaholic12: post-apocalyptic multi-generational science fiction, cyclic history, human caused crisis
    Rot and Ruin by Jonathan Maberry (Scottneumann)
    Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons (Scottneumann)
    The Reapers Are the Angels by Alden Bell (BeckyJG)
    Earth Abides by George R. Stewart (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: This classic dystopian novel explores the world after an unspecified apocalypse. Like The Passage, Earth Abides involves both the scavenging of the remains of civilization rather than production and a journey to see how others have coped. No vampires, though.… (more)
    The Chrysalids by John Wyndham (kw50197)
    The Keeper by Sarah Langan (bnbookgirl)
    The Twelve by Justin Cronin (sturlington)
    sturlington: Well, you have to read the sequel!
    The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan (ahstrick)

English (472)  Dutch (7)  German (3)  Swedish (3)  Danish (1)  French (1)  All languages (487)

Originally posted here

Flyers, what an amazing story. I am going to be honest here and admit that I picked The Passage up solely based upon the cover as the edition in my local library had a creepy black and white picture of a girls face; it was October after all and I was in the mood for some creepy books. I am beyond happy I picked up this behemoth.

Wow, just wow. It's time for me to wax lyrical about how amazing the reading experience was. The Passage is without doubt one of my stand out favourites of the year. It is mainly a post-apocalyptic sci-fi blended with horror, very reminiscent in parts of so many other great things namely: Stranger Things (TV show), The Last of Us (video game), The Village (film) and The Walking Dead (comic/TV show). Chances are if, (like me) you loved any of those then The Passage is for you! Seriously. I urge everyone to read this awesome book.

The basic premise of this story is of a shady government experiment which results in repercussions for the whole world or at least the continent of America. It's very hard for me to comment specifically on certain characters or plot points as I don't want to give any spoilers but I will say I ADORED Michael, Sara and Caleb. The monsters were terrifying and Justin Cronin has this talent of describing things in such disgusting, gory detail that allows me to picture the scene and the accompanying sounds perfectly; which promptly then makes me feel sick and scared. There are many chilling moments in this story.

The world building was fantastic, almost all completely shown and not told, so no hand-holding whatsoever. I just know that I will get so much more out of a second reading that I didn't understand or didn't notice the first time around. There was a superb balance of character focused growth and backstory as well as keeping momentum going with the plot. At first glance, it may seem intimidating as the paperback clocks in at over 1000 pages, but it honestly did not feel long enough. I feel supremely lucky that I discovered this hidden gem when the trilogy had been completed. Marathon time methinks.

One of my new favourites, cannot recommend highly enough. ( )
  4everfanatical | Oct 19, 2016 |
The US Army infects twelve condemned prisoners with a virus that produces a vampire-like condition in its victims. The resulting monstrosities then inevitably escape their confinement and go on a murderous rampage, resulting in the rapid end of human civilization (at least in the United States, and probably everywhere else as well). But the last experimental subject, a six-year-old girl, has a very different reaction to the infection; she is changed, but still human. She wanders off into the mountains in the wake of the massacre... and then, nearly a hundred years later, into a small colony of survivors' descendants.

This isn't a bad book, but I'd hesitate to call it a good one, either. I do like the concept behind the creatures, which includes some clever nods to traditional vampire lore. But the story and the characters never really engaged me all that much, on any kind of emotional level. Cronin goes into great detail about his characters' lives and backstories and relationships and emotions, and so forth and so on, but he seldom makes me actually feel for any of them, and the post-apocalyptic world-building seemss a little flat and not always entirely convincing. Again, it's never really bad, but nearly 800 pages is a long time to spend with something that's decent, but just not really grabbing you. It did get more interesting, I think, in the last 300 pages or so, but by that point I was already feeling ready to be done with it. Although I'm still not, of course, as there are two more volumes and another 1,100 pages or so yet to go. I am intending to read the rest of the series, both because I already have all of it, and because the ending of this one was surprisingly effective in making me want to know what happens next. But I'm not sure I'm going to be in much of a hurry to get to them. Plowing my way through this one has kind of tired me out. ( )
  bragan | Oct 10, 2016 |
Loved it. Justin Cronin is such a talented and brilliant writer. He's managed to create not only a page-turning post-apocalyptic adventure, but also a commentary on human character and the search for the voice of God. ( )
  trwm | Oct 6, 2016 |
Captures your interest from the first page and keeps it until the very end. Despite the vampire lore being a bit overexploited it is greatly executed by the author. Would happily read again.
  Margta | Sep 11, 2016 |
reminiscent of the book swan song (which i loved) Really enoyed the read. glad i can go straight to book 2 ( )
  mystic506 | Sep 3, 2016 |
I turned The Passage's pages feverishly to find out what happened next.
added by simon_carr | editThe Observer, Alice Fisher (Jul 18, 2010)
Cronin leaps back and forth in time, sprinkling his narrative with diaries, ­e-mail messages, maps, newspaper articles and legal documents. Sustaining such a long book is a tough endeavor, and every so often his prose slackens into inert phrases (“his mind would be tumbling like a dryer”). For the most part, though, he artfully unspools his plot’s complexities, and seemingly superfluous details come to connect in remarkable ways.

added by mks27 | editThe New York Times, Mike Peed (Jun 25, 2010)
When all's said and done, The Passage is a wonderful idea for a book that – like too many American TV series – knows how good it is and therefore outstays its welcome. There are enough human themes (hope, love, survival, friendship, the power of dreams) to raise it well above the average horror, but its internal battle between the literary and the schlock will, I
T MAY already have the Stephen King stamp of approval and the Ridley Scott movie-script treatment but American author Justin Cronin's 800-page blockbuster The Passage comes from humble beginnings.

"Every book starts somewhere and this came from a dare of a nine-year-old child," he says of his daughter Iris, who wanted a story where a young girl saves the world.

Justin Croninprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brick, ScottNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lanceniece, LigitaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schroderus, ArtoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
When I have seen by Time's fell hand defac'd
the rich proud cost of outworn buried age;
When sometimes lofty towers I see down-raz'd,
And brass eternal slave to mortal rage;
When I have seen the hungry ocean gain
Advantage on the kingdom of the shore,
And the firm soil win of the watery main,
Increasing store with loss, and loss with store;
When I have seen such interchange of state,
Or state itself confounded to decay;
Ruin hath taught me thus to ruminate
That Time will come and take my love away.

-William Shakespeare, Sonnet 64
For my children, No bad dreams.
Before she became the Girl from Nowhere- the One Who Walked In, the First and Last and Only, who lived a thousand years- she was just a little girl in Iowa, named Amy.
He stepped into the stars.

It's called Project NOAH: a secret government experiment designed to weaponize the human body. But this experiment goes horribly awry when twelve test subjects escape, spreading a virus that turns human beings into something else-something hungrier, deadlier, and seemingly undestructible. The thirteenth test subject, a six-year-old girl named Amy, is rescued by an FBI agent. Together they flee to the mountains of Oregon, cut off from civilization as the disastrous repercussions of Project NOAH are unleashed upon the world. The Passage creates an all-too-believable world dominated by fear and the need to survive, and introduces the strange and silent girl who may hold in her hands the fate of the human race.

A security breach at a secret U.S. government facility unleashes the monstrous product of a chilling military experiment that only six-year-old orphan Amy Harper Bellafonte can stop.

Cemetery Dance

An edition of this book was published by Cemetery Dance.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Passage by Justin Cronin was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,744,240 books! | Top bar: Always visible