The Passage by Justin Cronin

The Passage (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Justin Cronin

5,921475705 (3.9)1 / 458
Member:shequiltz
Title:The Passage
Authors:Justin Cronin
Info:Ballantine Books (2010), Edition: First Edition, First Printing, Hardcover, 784 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Rating:****1/2

The Passage by Justin Cronin (2010)

The Stand by Stephen King (Jacey25, drweb, smiteme)
    The Strain by Guillermo del Toro (kraaivrouw, smiteme, questionablepotato)
    kraaivrouw: Similar intentions and a lot more fun.
    Swan Song by Robert McCammon (Scottneumann)
    World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks (divinenanny)
    The Road by Cormac McCarthy (Anonymous user)
    Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood (divinenanny)
    divinenanny: Post apocalyptic dystopia
    Under The Dome by Stephen King (jlparent)
    jlparent: The Passage reminded me greatly of "Under the Dome", with its intense look at how people cope in a 'new' world. Obviously it's also is hugely reminiscent of "The Stand" as already recommended.
    The Green Mile by Stephen King (Thomas.Taylor)
    Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: Both books are inventive dystopian novels of a future after a pandemic collapses civilization.
    The Reapers Are the Angels by Alden Bell (BeckyJG)
    The Walking Dead: Compendium One by Robert Kirkman (Jacey25)
    A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller Jr. (readaholic12)
    readaholic12: post-apocalyptic multi-generational science fiction, cyclic history, human caused crisis
    Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons (Scottneumann)
    Pure by Julianna Baggott (Suhani)
    Earth Abides by George R. Stewart (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: This classic dystopian novel explores the world after an unspecified apocalypse. Like The Passage, Earth Abides involves both the scavenging of the remains of civilization rather than production and a journey to see how others have coped. No vampires, though.… (more)
    The Chrysalids by John Wyndham (kw50197)
    The Twelve by Justin Cronin (sturlington)
    sturlington: Well, you have to read the sequel!
    Rot and Ruin by Jonathan Maberry (Scottneumann)
    The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan (ahstrick)
    The Keeper by Sarah Langan (bnbookgirl)

English (464)  Dutch (7)  German (3)  Swedish (3)  Danish (1)  French (1)  All languages (479)
First Reading
June 24 to July 06, 2010
I'm not really sure what to say about this book. It was a slow start, but once I got into it, I didn't want the sections to end.
I was confused.
I was interested.
I wanted to know more.

And to Cronin's credit, I didn't even really get that it was a vampire story until well into the book. They weren't the bloodsuckers you see on TV or in a plethora of other books ... they were something new and different. Something un-vampire-like. And I appreciated that.

I thought I knew what happened, but when I read the last few lines it dawned on me that I obviously had no idea. Now I just need to wait for another turn to read this 700 page monster. ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
Amazing! ( )
  mtlkch | Jun 21, 2016 |
This is my review.
  valeriep | Jun 14, 2016 |
was ok - the story was well set up, but not really enough about the fall once the virus was released, or why the twelve behave the way they do... ( )
  jkdavies | Jun 14, 2016 |
I am a complete sucker for post-apocalyptic tales and this is an excellent one. My jaw remained dropped for most of the book. Where is the sequel and where is the movie? I can't wait for them. ( )
  Caitlin70433 | Jun 6, 2016 |
I turned The Passage's pages feverishly to find out what happened next.
added by simon_carr | editThe Observer, Alice Fisher (Jul 18, 2010)

Cronin leaps back and forth in time, sprinkling his narrative with diaries, ­e-mail messages, maps, newspaper articles and legal documents. Sustaining such a long book is a tough endeavor, and every so often his prose slackens into inert phrases (“his mind would be tumbling like a dryer”). For the most part, though, he artfully unspools his plot’s complexities, and seemingly superfluous details come to connect in remarkable ways.

added by mks27 | editThe New York Times, Mike Peed (Jun 25, 2010)

When all's said and done, The Passage is a wonderful idea for a book that – like too many American TV series – knows how good it is and therefore outstays its welcome. There are enough human themes (hope, love, survival, friendship, the power of dreams) to raise it well above the average horror, but its internal battle between the literary and the schlock will, I

T MAY already have the Stephen King stamp of approval and the Ridley Scott movie-script treatment but American author Justin Cronin's 800-page blockbuster The Passage comes from humble beginnings.

"Every book starts somewhere and this came from a dare of a nine-year-old child," he says of his daughter Iris, who wanted a story where a young girl saves the world.

Justin Croninprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brick, ScottNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lanceniece, LigitaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schroderus, ArtoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
When I have seen by Time's fell hand defac'd
the rich proud cost of outworn buried age;
When sometimes lofty towers I see down-raz'd,
And brass eternal slave to mortal rage;
When I have seen the hungry ocean gain
Advantage on the kingdom of the shore,
And the firm soil win of the watery main,
Increasing store with loss, and loss with store;
When I have seen such interchange of state,
Or state itself confounded to decay;
Ruin hath taught me thus to ruminate
That Time will come and take my love away.

-William Shakespeare, Sonnet 64
For my children, No bad dreams.
Before she became the Girl from Nowhere- the One Who Walked In, the First and Last and Only, who lived a thousand years- she was just a little girl in Iowa, named Amy.
He stepped into the stars.

It's called Project NOAH: a secret government experiment designed to weaponize the human body. But this experiment goes horribly awry when twelve test subjects escape, spreading a virus that turns human beings into something else-something hungrier, deadlier, and seemingly undestructible. The thirteenth test subject, a six-year-old girl named Amy, is rescued by an FBI agent. Together they flee to the mountains of Oregon, cut off from civilization as the disastrous repercussions of Project NOAH are unleashed upon the world. The Passage creates an all-too-believable world dominated by fear and the need to survive, and introduces the strange and silent girl who may hold in her hands the fate of the human race.

A security breach at a secret U.S. government facility unleashes the monstrous product of a chilling military experiment that only six-year-old orphan Amy Harper Bellafonte can stop.

Cemetery Dance

An edition of this book was published by Cemetery Dance.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Passage by Justin Cronin was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,733,959 books! | Top bar: Always visible