The Passage by Justin Cronin

The Passage (edition 2010)

by Justin Cronin

5,210415858 (3.91)1 / 407
Member:linsleo
Title:The Passage
Authors:Justin Cronin
Info:Ballantine Books (2010), Hardcover, 784 pages
Tags:Fiction, Thriller

The Passage by Justin Cronin

The Stand by Stephen King (Jacey25, drweb, smiteme)
    The Strain by Guillermo Del Toro (kraaivrouw, smiteme, questionablepotato)
    kraaivrouw: Similar intentions and a lot more fun.
    Swan Song by Robert McCammon (Scottneumann)
    World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks (divinenanny)
    Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood (divinenanny)
    divinenanny: Post apocalyptic dystopia
    The Road by Cormac McCarthy (Anonymous user)
    Under the Dome by Stephen King (jlparent)
    jlparent: The Passage reminded me greatly of "Under the Dome", with its intense look at how people cope in a 'new' world. Obviously it's also is hugely reminiscent of "The Stand" as already recommended.
    The Green Mile by Stephen King (Thomas.Taylor)
    The Walking Dead: Compendium One by Robert Kirkman (Jacey25)
    Rot and Ruin by Jonathan Maberry (Scottneumann)
    The Reapers Are the Angels by Alden Bell (BeckyJG)
    Pure by Julianna Baggott (Suhani)
    A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller Jr. (readaholic12)
    readaholic12: post-apocalyptic multi-generational science fiction, cyclic history, human caused crisis
    The Keeper by Sarah Langan (bnbookgirl)
    Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons (Scottneumann)
    The Chrysalids by John Wyndham (kw50197)
    I Am Legend by Richard Matheson (sturlington)
    Parasite by Mira Grant (4leschats)
    4leschats: Similar themes of science/medicine gone wrong and a female protagonist
    The Hunt by Andrew Fukuda (aliklein)
    The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan (ahstrick)

English (407)  Dutch (6)  German (3)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (418)
I am going to have to read this book again just to get everything to sink in, especially since I skim-read some of it. ( )
  Tarklovishki | Oct 31, 2014 |
This is a very readable book, but there is just too much! Many characters, a plot that goes on for a century. But good light reading. UI wonder if I will read the sequels. ( )
  sberson | Oct 22, 2014 |
Holy cow this was a long read. It felt like I was reading three books in a series, rather than just one book. ( )
  piersanti | Sep 28, 2014 |
I finally had to put this book down because it became unbelievably boring. First third of the book was great. 2/3 of it is just a soap opera. ( )
  inasrullah64 | Sep 26, 2014 |
READ IN DUTCH

The US army has a wonderful plan to solve problems like ageing (and gaining control over the World). Use extracts of the thymus of vampires to give their (the American) soldiers a very long life. This sounds like a plan that cannot possibly go wrong, right?

Of course it does go wrong. The serum is tested on 12 death-row prisoners (great plan, if I was turning people into vampires I would definitely start with the ones who felt like killing even before being transformed) and - for story's sake - a little girl.

As was not really unexpected, the vampires escape and terrorize the world by killing almost everyone they encounter (and turning one-tenth of them into new vampires). Needless to say at this point I think, we're not talking about Twilight vampires. They don't sparkle.

After this cosy, heart warming tale, we skip forward about 100 years to a special build colony that has somehow resisted the vampire (they're called virals) attacks. And this is were the story gets a bit boring. The first part is action packed, 'I'm going to check my room just to make sure there are no virals'-thrilling, the second part is more people coping with living in this colony while planning to kill all the virals (we're talking about millions of them) after the young girl reappears.

Is this the end, you ask? No, of course not. This (in Dutch version) 960(!) pages long novel is just the first of a trilogy of which The Twelve is the second part. I haven't read The Twelve yet, but it's high on my TBR. ( )
  Floratina | Sep 25, 2014 |
I turned The Passage's pages feverishly to find out what happened next.
added by simon_carr | editThe Observer, Alice Fisher (Jul 18, 2010)

Cronin leaps back and forth in time, sprinkling his narrative with diaries, ­e-mail messages, maps, newspaper articles and legal documents. Sustaining such a long book is a tough endeavor, and every so often his prose slackens into inert phrases (“his mind would be tumbling like a dryer”). For the most part, though, he artfully unspools his plot’s complexities, and seemingly superfluous details come to connect in remarkable ways.

added by mks27 | editThe New York Times, Mike Peed (Jun 25, 2010)

When all's said and done, The Passage is a wonderful idea for a book that – like too many American TV series – knows how good it is and therefore outstays its welcome. There are enough human themes (hope, love, survival, friendship, the power of dreams) to raise it well above the average horror, but its internal battle between the literary and the schlock will, I

T MAY already have the Stephen King stamp of approval and the Ridley Scott movie-script treatment but American author Justin Cronin's 800-page blockbuster The Passage comes from humble beginnings.

"Every book starts somewhere and this came from a dare of a nine-year-old child," he says of his daughter Iris, who wanted a story where a young girl saves the world.

Justin Croninprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brick, ScottNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schroderus, ArtoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
When I have seen by Time's fell hand defac'd
the rich proud cost of outworn buried age;
When sometimes lofty towers I see down-raz'd,
And brass eternal slave to mortal rage;
When I have seen the hungry ocean gain
Advantage on the kingdom of the shore,
And the firm soil win of the watery main,
Increasing store with loss, and loss with store;
When I have seen such interchange of state,
Or state itself confounded to decay;
Ruin hath taught me thus to ruminate
That Time will come and take my love away.

-William Shakespeare, Sonnet 64
For my children, No bad dreams.
Before she became the Girl from Nowhere- the One Who Walked In, the First and Last and Only, who lived a thousand years- she was just a little girl in Iowa, named Amy.
He stepped into the stars.

It's called Project NOAH: a secret government experiment designed to weaponize the human body. But this experiment goes horribly awry when twelve test subjects escape, spreading a virus that turns human beings into something else-something hungrier, deadlier, and seemingly undestructible. The thirteenth test subject, a six-year-old girl named Amy, is rescued by an FBI agent. Together they flee to the mountains of Oregon, cut off from civilization as the disastrous repercussions of Project NOAH are unleashed upon the world. The Passage creates an all-too-believable world dominated by fear and the need to survive, and introduces the strange and silent girl who may hold in her hands the fate of the human race.

A security breach at a secret U.S. government facility unleashes the monstrous product of a chilling military experiment that only six-year-old orphan Amy Harper Bellafonte can stop.

Cemetery Dance

An edition of this book was published by Cemetery Dance.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Passage by Justin Cronin was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,342,761 books! | Top bar: Always visible