The Passage: A Novel by Justin Cronin

The Passage: A Novel (original 2010; edition 2012)

by Justin Cronin

6,815514823 (3.91)1 / 526
Member:amybclarke
Title:The Passage: A Novel
Authors:Justin Cronin
Info:Ballantine Books (2012), Mass Market Paperback, 912 pages

The Passage by Justin Cronin (2010)

The Stand: The Complete and Uncut Edition by Stephen King (Jacey25, drweb, smiteme)
    The Strain by Guillermo del Toro (kraaivrouw, smiteme, questionablepotato)
    kraaivrouw: Similar intentions and a lot more fun.
    Swan Song by Robert McCammon (Scottneumann)
    World War Z by Max Brooks (divinenanny)
    The Road by Cormac McCarthy (Anonymous user)
    Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood (divinenanny)
    divinenanny: Post apocalyptic dystopia
    Under The Dome by Stephen King (jlparent)
    jlparent: The Passage reminded me greatly of "Under the Dome", with its intense look at how people cope in a 'new' world. Obviously it's also is hugely reminiscent of "The Stand" as already recommended.
    The Green Mile by Stephen King (Thomas.Taylor)
    Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: Both books are inventive dystopian novels of a future after a pandemic collapses civilization.
    The Reapers Are the Angels by Alden Bell (BeckyJG)
    A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller Jr. (readaholic12)
    readaholic12: post-apocalyptic multi-generational science fiction, cyclic history, human caused crisis
    Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons (Scottneumann)
    The Walking Dead: Compendium One by Robert Kirkman (Jacey25)
    Earth Abides by George R. Stewart (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: This classic dystopian novel explores the world after an unspecified apocalypse. Like The Passage, Earth Abides involves both the scavenging of the remains of civilization rather than production and a journey to see how others have coped. No vampires, though.… (more)
    The Chrysalids by John Wyndham (kw50197)
    Rot and Ruin by Jonathan Maberry (Scottneumann)
    The Twelve by Justin Cronin (sturlington)
    sturlington: Well, you have to read the sequel!
    The Keeper by Sarah Langan (bnbookgirl)
    Pure by Julianna Baggott (Suhani)
    The Hunt by Andrew Fukuda (aliklein)

English (505)  Dutch (7)  German (3)  Swedish (3)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  French (1)  All languages (521)
Listened to this on audiobook, really enjoyed the book but wasn't thrilled about how it ended. ( )
  Inkdrunnergirl | Sep 4, 2018 |
This book was featured on OverDrive.com recently, and I'm going to echo the sentiment regarding the hype machine, even if I'm six years late.

The first section of the book definitely had a much more tense, gripping and ominous feeling than the latter parts, which were mostly about struggle, dwindling hopes and survival. Same goes with the characters. Whereas as even the bit players in the "modern day" period felt well fleshed out, there were major characters in the second part which felt lacking, including Alicia and Amy. I mean for gosh sake, where was the explanation for the bizarre zoo scene that was a result of Amy's "powers"?
  Eternal.Optimist | Aug 22, 2018 |
Slow start, it took me 100 pages to get into the story, however, once it took off, it was amazing.
  Rdra1962 | Aug 1, 2018 |
A security breach at a secret U.S. government facility unleashes the monstrous product of a chilling military experiment. ( )
  jrthebutler | Jul 29, 2018 |
For those of you who haven't read this fantastic book yet, I'm going to review this very carefully so I don't give away any spoilers. I usually read thrillers but also enjoy books by Stephen King and the Odd Thomas series by Dean Koontz.

The Passage blew me away. I've never been so engrossed in a book that I've missed my bus stop on the way home. You'll start to read this, wonder where it's going and then at about a quarter of the way in, it grabs you and won't let go.

Definitely my favourite book that I've read in 2011 and highly recommended.

Rachel Amphlett
Author of White Gold
www.rachelamphlett.com ( )
  RachelAmphlett | Jul 23, 2018 |
I turned The Passage's pages feverishly to find out what happened next.
added by simon_carr | editThe Observer, Alice Fisher (Jul 18, 2010)

Cronin leaps back and forth in time, sprinkling his narrative with diaries, ­e-mail messages, maps, newspaper articles and legal documents. Sustaining such a long book is a tough endeavor, and every so often his prose slackens into inert phrases (“his mind would be tumbling like a dryer”). For the most part, though, he artfully unspools his plot’s complexities, and seemingly superfluous details come to connect in remarkable ways.

added by mks27 | editThe New York Times, Mike Peed (Jun 25, 2010)

When all's said and done, The Passage is a wonderful idea for a book that – like too many American TV series – knows how good it is and therefore outstays its welcome. There are enough human themes (hope, love, survival, friendship, the power of dreams) to raise it well above the average horror, but its internal battle between the literary and the schlock will, I

T MAY already have the Stephen King stamp of approval and the Ridley Scott movie-script treatment but American author Justin Cronin's 800-page blockbuster The Passage comes from humble beginnings.

"Every book starts somewhere and this came from a dare of a nine-year-old child," he says of his daughter Iris, who wanted a story where a young girl saves the world.

Justin Croninprimary authorall editionscalculated
Brick, ScottNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lanceniece, LigitaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schroderus, ArtoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
When I have seen by Time's fell hand defac'd
the rich proud cost of outworn buried age;
When sometimes lofty towers I see down-raz'd,
And brass eternal slave to mortal rage;
When I have seen the hungry ocean gain
Advantage on the kingdom of the shore,
And the firm soil win of the watery main,
Increasing store with loss, and loss with store;
When I have seen such interchange of state,
Or state itself confounded to decay;
Ruin hath taught me thus to ruminate
That Time will come and take my love away.

-William Shakespeare, Sonnet 64
For my children, No bad dreams.
Before she became the Girl from Nowhere- the One Who Walked In, the First and Last and Only, who lived a thousand years- she was just a little girl in Iowa, named Amy.
He stepped into the stars.

It's called Project NOAH: a secret government experiment designed to weaponize the human body. But this experiment goes horribly awry when twelve test subjects escape, spreading a virus that turns human beings into something else-something hungrier, deadlier, and seemingly undestructible. The thirteenth test subject, a six-year-old girl named Amy, is rescued by an FBI agent. Together they flee to the mountains of Oregon, cut off from civilization as the disastrous repercussions of Project NOAH are unleashed upon the world. The Passage creates an all-too-believable world dominated by fear and the need to survive, and introduces the strange and silent girl who may hold in her hands the fate of the human race.
Experiments run
On hardened criminals; what
could ever go wrong?
(cerebrumhabeo)

A security breach at a secret U.S. government facility unleashes the monstrous product of a chilling military experiment that only six-year-old orphan Amy Harper Bellafonte can stop.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Justin Cronin's book The Passage was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Cemetery Dance

An edition of this book was published by Cemetery Dance.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,836,369 books! | Top bar: Always visible