The Passage: A Novel by Justin Cronin

The Passage: A Novel (edition 2011)

by Justin Cronin

Info:Ballantine Books (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 800 pages
Collections:Huntingdon County Library, Your library
Tags:Fiction

The Passage by Justin Cronin

The Stand: The Complete and Uncut Edition by Stephen King (Jacey25, drweb, smiteme)
    The Strain by Guillermo Del Toro (kraaivrouw, smiteme, questionablepotato)
    kraaivrouw: Similar intentions and a lot more fun.
    Swan Song by Robert McCammon (Scottneumann)
    World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks (divinenanny)
    Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood (divinenanny)
    divinenanny: Post apocalyptic dystopia
    The Road by Cormac McCarthy (Anonymous user)
    Under the Dome: A Novel by Stephen King (jlparent)
    jlparent: The Passage reminded me greatly of "Under the Dome", with its intense look at how people cope in a 'new' world. Obviously it's also is hugely reminiscent of "The Stand" as already recommended.
    The Green Mile by Stephen King (Thomas.Taylor)
    The Walking Dead: Compendium One by Robert Kirkman (Jacey25)
    A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller Jr. (readaholic12)
    readaholic12: post-apocalyptic multi-generational science fiction, cyclic history, human caused crisis
    Pure by Julianna Baggott (Suhani)
    The Reapers Are the Angels by Alden Bell (BeckyJG)
    Rot and Ruin by Jonathan Maberry (Scottneumann)
    Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons (Scottneumann)
    The Chrysalids by John Wyndham (kw50197)
    Earth Abides by George R. Stewart (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: This classic dystopian novel explores the world after an unspecified apocalypse. Like The Passage, Earth Abides involves both the scavenging of the remains of civilization rather than production and a journey to see how others have coped. No vampires, though.… (more)
    I Am Legend by Richard Matheson (sturlington)
    The Twelve (Book Two of The Passage Trilogy): A Novel by Justin Cronin (sturlington)
    sturlington: Well, you have to read the sequel!
    The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan (ahstrick)
    The Keeper by Sarah Langan (bnbookgirl)

English (425)  Dutch (6)  German (3)  Swedish (2)  Danish (1)  French (1)  All languages (438)
People are the reason for the end of the world as we know it. And that seems much more likely than flood or crashing meteorites. The sad thing is - in The Passage the world ended because someone tried to save it by developing a cure for aging.

I knew I'd love this book when reading the first chapter. Then I started hating the constant introduction of new characters - it was not easy to keep changing my focus. Especially, in the second part, where for chapters and chapters there wasn't any mention of the characters Before, and I couldn't wait to read about Amy again. When she finally appeared, the story still seemed kind of purposeless - I got that the world ended, I got there were survivors who tried to live as best and safe as they could, but so what? Of course it all changed soon enough, and there appeared a plan, a purpose, a trip, an adventure. Oh and the home of Babock with human sacrifices every full moon was the best and the freakiest of it! And Amy just used her please and thank yous to ask the crazy killer to please not kill her friend. Amy, by the way, was amazing from the first chapters and I missed reading her point of view.

The book can be characterized in one word - unputdownable. Never in my life 800 pages felt like ten times less. Thank God I don't have to wait to read the second part. Though I doubt I'll be able to wait for the third. ( )
  v_allery | Apr 19, 2015 |
I didn't really know anything about the book when I picked it up at an airport looking for something easy to read on the plane. It was a good job because I wouldn't have selected it had I known it was post-apocalyptic horror! Not my usual fare. However, it was gripping, imaginative and the characters were well written and developed. A real page turner and I am keen to read the sequel. Not recommended for the squeamish. ( )
  hep | Apr 16, 2015 |
An introduction that could have been maybe two paragraphs was approximately 100 pages long. Too long, without really saying anything. Some woman had a kid by some bloke she met in the cafè she worked at, because she was too stupid to say no. Then her dad died (sob) and the man comes back, but turns out he is actually a dickhead (sob) and then she had to become a prostitute (sob) because that's the only viable option ever (sob). But then she kills some client who took her to a house full of his friends to gang rape her (sob) but luckily she bought a gun (yey but sob as well) and kills him (sob) then leave her kid with a nun (yey and sob) and just leaves (sob). And then some emails that are just two white blokes being dickheads. And then some vampire bats that are actual vampires (sob?) And then, whatever. Apocalypse. Mysterious nun-orphaned girl. Sob. Guns. Presumably some wooden stakes for the vampires? More sob. More guns. More dickheads. Sob. ( )
  Xleptodactylous | Apr 7, 2015 |
This is the first installment in a post-apocalyptic epic. After a genetic experiment goes horribly wrong, a new predator is unleashed upon the world. Parallel to this vampiric terror is the disease they carry in their bite. Between the plague and the monsters, the world falls into darkness.

Ninety year later, an isolated village of survivors in the California desert discover something unusual - a walker. A girl who appears to be sixteen walks into the camp. She is badly injured by the guards but miraculously recovers. Even more miraculous, a small transmitter is recovered from her neck. It contains coordinates to a location in the mountains of Colorado. Peter, a young man who is drawn to the stranger wants to see where these coordinates lead. With the town's battery power failing, this might be their last chance to contact the military and receive aid. But just who is this strange, strong girl with old eyes? And does she know a secret that will save them all?

I don't usually like post-apocalyptic novels. They are so bleak, grey, and frankly boring. This one really tries hard though. The characters are all well-developed and the author really invests time in making them memorable. ( )
  Juva | Apr 6, 2015 |
I loved this book and can't wait to start the 2nd book in the trilogy, [b:The Twelve|13281368|The Twelve (The Passage, #2)|Justin Cronin|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1331230956s/13281368.jpg|14373498]. It's long, but I used WhisperSync and both listened and read the book, depending where I was. Makes me want to read Stephen King's [b:The Stand|149267|The Stand|Stephen King|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1213131305s/149267.jpg|1742269] next! ( )
  sandra.k.heinzman | Apr 2, 2015 |
I turned The Passage's pages feverishly to find out what happened next.
added by simon_carr | editThe Observer, Alice Fisher (Jul 18, 2010)

Cronin leaps back and forth in time, sprinkling his narrative with diaries, ­e-mail messages, maps, newspaper articles and legal documents. Sustaining such a long book is a tough endeavor, and every so often his prose slackens into inert phrases (“his mind would be tumbling like a dryer”). For the most part, though, he artfully unspools his plot’s complexities, and seemingly superfluous details come to connect in remarkable ways.

added by mks27 | editThe New York Times, Mike Peed (Jun 25, 2010)

When all's said and done, The Passage is a wonderful idea for a book that – like too many American TV series – knows how good it is and therefore outstays its welcome. There are enough human themes (hope, love, survival, friendship, the power of dreams) to raise it well above the average horror, but its internal battle between the literary and the schlock will, I

T MAY already have the Stephen King stamp of approval and the Ridley Scott movie-script treatment but American author Justin Cronin's 800-page blockbuster The Passage comes from humble beginnings.

"Every book starts somewhere and this came from a dare of a nine-year-old child," he says of his daughter Iris, who wanted a story where a young girl saves the world.

Justin Croninprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brick, ScottNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schroderus, ArtoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
When I have seen by Time's fell hand defac'd
the rich proud cost of outworn buried age;
When sometimes lofty towers I see down-raz'd,
And brass eternal slave to mortal rage;
When I have seen the hungry ocean gain
Advantage on the kingdom of the shore,
And the firm soil win of the watery main,
Increasing store with loss, and loss with store;
When I have seen such interchange of state,
Or state itself confounded to decay;
Ruin hath taught me thus to ruminate
That Time will come and take my love away.

-William Shakespeare, Sonnet 64
For my children, No bad dreams.
Before she became the Girl from Nowhere- the One Who Walked In, the First and Last and Only, who lived a thousand years- she was just a little girl in Iowa, named Amy.
He stepped into the stars.

It's called Project NOAH: a secret government experiment designed to weaponize the human body. But this experiment goes horribly awry when twelve test subjects escape, spreading a virus that turns human beings into something else-something hungrier, deadlier, and seemingly undestructible. The thirteenth test subject, a six-year-old girl named Amy, is rescued by an FBI agent. Together they flee to the mountains of Oregon, cut off from civilization as the disastrous repercussions of Project NOAH are unleashed upon the world. The Passage creates an all-too-believable world dominated by fear and the need to survive, and introduces the strange and silent girl who may hold in her hands the fate of the human race.

A security breach at a secret U.S. government facility unleashes the monstrous product of a chilling military experiment that only six-year-old orphan Amy Harper Bellafonte can stop.

Cemetery Dance

An edition of this book was published by Cemetery Dance.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Passage by Justin Cronin was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,723,401 books! | Top bar: Always visible