The Passage: A Novel by Justin Cronin

The Passage: A Novel (original 2010; edition 2011)

by Justin Cronin

Info:Ballantine Books (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 800 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:Science Fiction, Thriller

The Passage by Justin Cronin (2010)

The Stand by Stephen King (Jacey25, drweb, smiteme)
    The Strain by Guillermo del Toro (kraaivrouw, smiteme, questionablepotato)
    kraaivrouw: Similar intentions and a lot more fun.
    Swan Song by Robert McCammon (Scottneumann)
    World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks (divinenanny)
    The Road by Cormac McCarthy (Anonymous user)
    Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood (divinenanny)
    divinenanny: Post apocalyptic dystopia
    Under The Dome by Stephen King (jlparent)
    jlparent: The Passage reminded me greatly of "Under the Dome", with its intense look at how people cope in a 'new' world. Obviously it's also is hugely reminiscent of "The Stand" as already recommended.
    The Green Mile by Stephen King (Thomas.Taylor)
    Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: Both books are inventive dystopian novels of a future after a pandemic collapses civilization.
    The Reapers Are the Angels by Alden Bell (BeckyJG)
    The Walking Dead: Compendium One by Robert Kirkman (Jacey25)
    A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller Jr. (readaholic12)
    readaholic12: post-apocalyptic multi-generational science fiction, cyclic history, human caused crisis
    Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons (Scottneumann)
    Pure by Julianna Baggott (Suhani)
    Earth Abides by George R. Stewart (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: This classic dystopian novel explores the world after an unspecified apocalypse. Like The Passage, Earth Abides involves both the scavenging of the remains of civilization rather than production and a journey to see how others have coped. No vampires, though.… (more)
    The Chrysalids by John Wyndham (kw50197)
    The Twelve by Justin Cronin (sturlington)
    sturlington: Well, you have to read the sequel!
    Rot and Ruin by Jonathan Maberry (Scottneumann)
    The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan (ahstrick)
    The Keeper by Sarah Langan (bnbookgirl)

English (467)  Dutch (7)  German (3)  Swedish (3)  Danish (1)  French (1)  All languages (482)
Cronin tries to rewrite The Stand? But with vampires? It's got that same big sprawling feel, and I really was enjoying it quite well to begin with, but then it dropped all the characters I cared about, jumped some 90 odd years into the future, and introduced a bunch of really unlikeable, unsympathetic people who I just didn't give a crap if they lived and died. Decent enough, but I just didn't like most of the characters. And it's another one I didn't realise was part of a series, so the ending left me utterly non-plussed. In fact, I was recently reading a blog post from a traditionally published author bemoaning the fact that despite her fighting for it, the publisher removed any mention of her book being part of a series from the cover and blurbs - this is one area where indies and self-pubs do a lot better, and I rarely have this problem. Will probably pick up the sequel (now that I realise there is one, or two in fact) from the library if they ever turn up there. And I would be interested in more by Cronin, he does a decent impersonation of Stephen King's easy, readable, early style and sharp observations of people, for the first half or so of the book. ( )
  krazykiwi | Aug 22, 2016 |
This book represents, in my opinion, a triumph of execution over concept. It reads like literary fiction. The physical descriptions are beautiful, or stark, or horrifying, exactly as required. The psychological depth of the characters is amazing. Yet the core of the plot is straight out of a B movie: a viral-borne “vampire” plague. And a thousand-year-old telepathic girl is the key to saving the world. I can easily imagine tellings of this story that would come off as completely hokey. Cronin’s telling is far too intelligent and thoughtful for that, and I found it completely captivating.

The genre is a bit hard to pin down: Fantasy, perhaps, although there is a bit too much science injected into the explanation of the virus to make that classification entirely comfortable. On the other hand, the effects of virus are too fantastic to make plausible science, beyond the B movie grade. And of course there are the psychic phenomena: the telepathy and also what appears to be precognition - not to mention the ambiguous suggestions that God may be involved. At the same time, there’s not enough creepiness for horror.

There is a great deal of very gruesome violence, although Cronin doesn’t exploit it. He gives us no more than what is needed to convey the shock and horror of what has occurred – or the relentless repetition of these horrors. It is a terribly dangerous world that Cronin has created. The book is not for the faint of heart, not just because of the violence it contains, but because Cronin makes you care about the characters, their struggling humanity. He evokes your sympathy even for minor character with serious flaws, and then as often as not, he kills them before they have a chance to find their way to resolution or redemption, or to more than barely taste the happiness they deserve. This is no more than realistic, of course, given the extravagant hazards of Cronin’s post-apocalyptic world. I just personally find it hard to watch.

“The Passage” (the reason for the title is not made clear) is the first book of a trilogy. The second, “The Twelve” (a title that makes perfect sense upon reading book 1) is already out, and the third is promised to appear soon, as I write this. Cronin writes with such assurance, and shows such a depth of perception, that I can’t doubt that these other two books are as brilliant as the first. The first one left me so emotionally drained, however, that I don’t believe I have the stamina to read more, although a part of me regrets that. The promise is out there that the world will ultimately be saved and that is enough for me, for now, without having to see in detail how it is achieved. ( )
  Carol_W | Aug 17, 2016 |
My full review is here:

In brief, some first-rate prose and world-building, some compelling characters, a nice return to vampires as actual monsters, but ultimately felt like a 766 page shaggy dog story. I'm not eagerly awaiting the inevitable (potential dozen!) sequels or the equally inevitable film adaptation. ( )
  KateSherrod | Aug 1, 2016 |
I sure hope there is more to come. There are still a lot of things I want to know. ( )
  Vinculus | Jul 20, 2016 |
This is a different type of dystopia America. The government has created some kind of virus that they are testing on inmates to use the newly created “creatures” as weapons to take to the Middle East. The book doesn’t really say when in time it is but you get a sense that it is somewhere around 2140. The creatures get loose and kill people. These creatures are like vampires but only worse. You don’t want to be out at night. This book is creepy in the sense that I can see a few crazy people thinking this is a good idea and the idiots they are, they can’t contain/control it. So all hell breaks loose and the America as we know it is destroyed. This book is long. I opted to get the large print from the library which was almost 1,200 pages. It seems like a lot of information being given. Don’t know if it all needed to drag out like it does in the book, especially since this is the first of a trilogy. But also I can see how a base needs to be established for the next two books. Still, it’s a little long. There are unanswered questions throughout the book, and there are a few times I felt the description was slightly confusing for me to follow what was going at that time. Other than that it is well written and I could visualize what was happening with the characters really well. If you like this type of story, then I recommend picking it up. ( )
  MHanover10 | Jul 10, 2016 |
I turned The Passage's pages feverishly to find out what happened next.
added by simon_carr | editThe Observer, Alice Fisher (Jul 18, 2010)

Cronin leaps back and forth in time, sprinkling his narrative with diaries, ­e-mail messages, maps, newspaper articles and legal documents. Sustaining such a long book is a tough endeavor, and every so often his prose slackens into inert phrases (“his mind would be tumbling like a dryer”). For the most part, though, he artfully unspools his plot’s complexities, and seemingly superfluous details come to connect in remarkable ways.

added by mks27 | editThe New York Times, Mike Peed (Jun 25, 2010)

When all's said and done, The Passage is a wonderful idea for a book that – like too many American TV series – knows how good it is and therefore outstays its welcome. There are enough human themes (hope, love, survival, friendship, the power of dreams) to raise it well above the average horror, but its internal battle between the literary and the schlock will, I

T MAY already have the Stephen King stamp of approval and the Ridley Scott movie-script treatment but American author Justin Cronin's 800-page blockbuster The Passage comes from humble beginnings.

"Every book starts somewhere and this came from a dare of a nine-year-old child," he says of his daughter Iris, who wanted a story where a young girl saves the world.

Justin Croninprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brick, ScottNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lanceniece, LigitaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schroderus, ArtoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
When I have seen by Time's fell hand defac'd
the rich proud cost of outworn buried age;
When sometimes lofty towers I see down-raz'd,
And brass eternal slave to mortal rage;
When I have seen the hungry ocean gain
Advantage on the kingdom of the shore,
And the firm soil win of the watery main,
Increasing store with loss, and loss with store;
When I have seen such interchange of state,
Or state itself confounded to decay;
Ruin hath taught me thus to ruminate
That Time will come and take my love away.

-William Shakespeare, Sonnet 64
For my children, No bad dreams.
Before she became the Girl from Nowhere- the One Who Walked In, the First and Last and Only, who lived a thousand years- she was just a little girl in Iowa, named Amy.
He stepped into the stars.

It's called Project NOAH: a secret government experiment designed to weaponize the human body. But this experiment goes horribly awry when twelve test subjects escape, spreading a virus that turns human beings into something else-something hungrier, deadlier, and seemingly undestructible. The thirteenth test subject, a six-year-old girl named Amy, is rescued by an FBI agent. Together they flee to the mountains of Oregon, cut off from civilization as the disastrous repercussions of Project NOAH are unleashed upon the world. The Passage creates an all-too-believable world dominated by fear and the need to survive, and introduces the strange and silent girl who may hold in her hands the fate of the human race.

A security breach at a secret U.S. government facility unleashes the monstrous product of a chilling military experiment that only six-year-old orphan Amy Harper Bellafonte can stop.

Cemetery Dance

An edition of this book was published by Cemetery Dance.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Passage by Justin Cronin was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,512,278 books! | Top bar: Always visible