The Passage: A Novel by Justin Cronin

The Passage: A Novel (edition 2011)

by Justin Cronin

Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:Science Fiction, Thriller

The Passage by Justin Cronin

2010 (81) apocalypse (84) apocalyptic (45) ARC (24) dystopia (124) dystopian (38) ebook (71) fantasy (86) fiction (487) future (27) horror (287) Kindle (62) novel (37) own (28) post-apocalypse (29) post-apocalyptic (205) read (64) read in 2010 (65) read in 2011 (27) science fiction (293) series (29) sf (32) signed (29) survival (47) suspense (30) thriller (84) to-read (156) USA (24) vampires (394) virus (75)

English (401)  Dutch (5)  German (3)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (411)
I take in book related podcasts, spend a lot of time on GoodReads.com and browse the web for upcoming releases that are setting the book industry ON FIRE. Therefore, I'm bound to be sucked into the hype machine that can surround some big releases. This year, I took in the first Stieg Larsson book, The Girl With [b:The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo|2429135|The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1)|Stieg Larsson|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1275608878s/2429135.jpg|1708725] and loved it; the hype was worth it. I thought to myself, "Hey, maybe hype isn't all that bad." I haven't read nearly enough books to consider myself any kind of "book snob" but I wanted to curb those tendencies before they developed.

Therefore, on a recommendation by [a:Stephen King|3389|Stephen King|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1261866457p2/3389.jpg], I decided I should check out Justin Cronin's [b:The Passage|6690798|The Passage|Justin Cronin|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1275610576s/6690798.jpg|2802546].

To sum it up, Cronin jumps on the vampire popularity train that has been chugging along for the last 2-3 years. In what is explained as a ridiculous move by the U.S. government in an attempt to end the war on terror, they attempt to develop a serum of sorts that will enable humans to recover quicker from physical damage and essentially live longer. Like 900 years longer. However, we wouldn't have much of a novel if this experiment was successful now would we?

The first 1/3 of this book follows two government agents as they attempt to round up the final two subjects in the first round of testing. We get some background into who these subjects are; 12 death row inmates and 1 particularly strange little girl, as well as the moral dilemma that follows when one agent develops a soft spot for the girl; the daughter that he never had.

Something goes drastically wrong with the trials and the test subjects develop characteristics similar to vampires. They have an insatiable love for blood as well as the ability to leap, almost fly, long distances. They're also sensitive to light and seem to become almost invincible, aside from a strike to "the sweet spot" - an area somewhere in the center of their chest.

Without spoiling a lot of the events that unfold, know that the book drastically changes about 1/3 of the way in - fast-forwarding 92 years to a post-apocalyptic United States. The book then shifts to follow a small colony of human survivors as they fend off "the virals" - which now outnumber the amount of survivors.

That's pretty much all I'm going to say on the plot; I think it's better if you have a fair bit of ignorance going into it - as with any book.

Let me say that I LOVED the first 1/3 of this book. The origin story that establishes the fall of modern civilization, while not unique, is structured in such a way that it seems possible - which is frightening. I've always been known to be scared of a potential "super-bug" that would wipe out the human race; yes, this is coming from the guy who refused to take the "swine flu" vaccine because he heard it was not fully tested. I was positive the zombie apocalypse was imminent!

However, when the book switches - we're forced to once again invest in a new group of characters which involves a TON of individual back story that really bogs down the progression of the story. Yes, I understand that it's a trilogy in the making and that all of this is needed but I found myself just not caring; I wanted to read more about the characters from the first chunk of the book!

Granted, there were times in the when the action scenes were well paced and edge-of-your-seat intense, which saved the overall score but unfortunately could not bring me to rate it above 3 stars. Some of the dialog was a little hokey - hopefully Cronin works on that just a little before the next book is released.

That being said, the ending left me intrigued enough to seek out the 2nd book when it's released in 2 years. I have faith in Stephen King; with his firm recommendation on the back of this novel, he must see something in the author that I do not. Like most, I'll give Cronin the benefit of the doubt, hopefully he's headed somewhere fantastic. ( )
1 vote branimal | Apr 1, 2014 |
Yes, I started reading this book during the vampire craze but it was so unlike the young adult novels that started the frenzy. I never thought I'd become so invested in a 900 page novel while also terrified some nights by the narrative that I waited to finish chapters for daylight. The 3rd book in the trilogy is supposed to come out this year (2014) and I will add it to my small collection of books I own because this is one of those books that I have to hold in my hands to experience. A kindle download just won't do. ( )
  mbbassdrlib | Mar 23, 2014 |
an epic... reminds me of the stand, with the firestarter and i am legend all mixed into one. can't wait for the next one! ( )
  lloyd1175 | Mar 22, 2014 |
A good read. It's not 'The Stand' or anything, but it's a good time. When vampires meet the apocalypse meets a post apocalyptic society... it's gotta at least be readable. Gets a little 'churchy' towards the end, but maybe that's just me.. ( )
  steadfastreader | Mar 18, 2014 |
What took me so long to read this book? I have had it on my Kindle for quite awhile and finally started it. And I could NOT put it down. The story was riveting. I had every emotion while reading...happy, sad, angry. We learn a lot about the characters but there is still so much more to learn. I can't wait to read the next book in the trilogy, "The Twelve". The third book in the trilogy, "The City of Mirrors" will be out next year. I'll be pre-ordering it as soon as it becames available! ( )
  RosanneE | Mar 14, 2014 |
I turned The Passage's pages feverishly to find out what happened next.
added by simon_carr | editThe Observer, Alice Fisher (Jul 18, 2010)

Cronin leaps back and forth in time, sprinkling his narrative with diaries, ­e-mail messages, maps, newspaper articles and legal documents. Sustaining such a long book is a tough endeavor, and every so often his prose slackens into inert phrases (“his mind would be tumbling like a dryer”). For the most part, though, he artfully unspools his plot’s complexities, and seemingly superfluous details come to connect in remarkable ways.

added by mks27 | editThe New York Times, Mike Peed (Jun 25, 2010)

When all's said and done, The Passage is a wonderful idea for a book that – like too many American TV series – knows how good it is and therefore outstays its welcome. There are enough human themes (hope, love, survival, friendship, the power of dreams) to raise it well above the average horror, but its internal battle between the literary and the schlock will, I

T MAY already have the Stephen King stamp of approval and the Ridley Scott movie-script treatment but American author Justin Cronin's 800-page blockbuster The Passage comes from humble beginnings.

"Every book starts somewhere and this came from a dare of a nine-year-old child," he says of his daughter Iris, who wanted a story where a young girl saves the world.

Justin Croninprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brick, ScottNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schroderus, ArtoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
When I have seen by Time's fell hand defac'd
the rich proud cost of outworn buried age;
When sometimes lofty towers I see down-raz'd,
And brass eternal slave to mortal rage;
When I have seen the hungry ocean gain
Advantage on the kingdom of the shore,
And the firm soil win of the watery main,
Increasing store with loss, and loss with store;
When I have seen such interchange of state,
Or state itself confounded to decay;
Ruin hath taught me thus to ruminate
That Time will come and take my love away.

-William Shakespeare, Sonnet 64
For my children, No bad dreams.
Before she became the Girl from Nowhere- the One Who Walked In, the First and Last and Only, who lived a thousand years- she was just a little girl in Iowa, named Amy.
He stepped into the stars.

It's called Project NOAH: a secret government experiment designed to weaponize the human body. But this experiment goes horribly awry when twelve test subjects escape, spreading a virus that turns human beings into something else-something hungrier, deadlier, and seemingly undestructible. The thirteenth test subject, a six-year-old girl named Amy, is rescued by an FBI agent. Together they flee to the mountains of Oregon, cut off from civilization as the disastrous repercussions of Project NOAH are unleashed upon the world. The Passage creates an all-too-believable world dominated by fear and the need to survive, and introduces the strange and silent girl who may hold in her hands the fate of the human race.

A security breach at a secret U.S. government facility unleashes the monstrous product of a chilling military experiment that only six-year-old orphan Amy Harper Bellafonte can stop.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Cemetery Dance

An edition of this book was published by Cemetery Dance.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Passage by Justin Cronin was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,411,487 books! | Top bar: Always visible