The Passage: A Novel by Justin Cronin

The Passage: A Novel (edition 2012)

by Justin Cronin

Info:Ballantine Books (2012), Mass Market Paperback, 912 pages
Rating:***
Tags:dystopia

The Passage by Justin Cronin

Recently added byLalena, gaizkar, Maelys73, corocoton, private library, KellyAndris, MidnightFae, setherfan91, rooddo
    The Stand: The Complete and Uncut Edition by Stephen King (Jacey25, drweb, smiteme)
    The Strain by Guillermo Del Toro (kraaivrouw, smiteme, questionablepotato)
    kraaivrouw: Similar intentions and a lot more fun.
    Swan Song by Robert McCammon (Scottneumann)
    Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood (divinenanny)
    divinenanny: Post apocalyptic dystopia
    World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks (divinenanny)
    The Road by Cormac McCarthy (Anonymous user)
    Under the Dome by Stephen King (jlparent)
    jlparent: The Passage reminded me greatly of "Under the Dome", with its intense look at how people cope in a 'new' world. Obviously it's also is hugely reminiscent of "The Stand" as already recommended.
    The Green Mile by Stephen King (Thomas.Taylor)
    The Walking Dead: Compendium One by Robert Kirkman (Jacey25)
    The Reapers Are the Angels by Alden Bell (BeckyJG)
    Rot and Ruin by Jonathan Maberry (Scottneumann)
    I Am Legend by Richard Matheson (sturlington)
    Pure by Julianna Baggott (Suhani)
    A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller, Jr. (readaholic12)
    readaholic12: post-apocalyptic multi-generational science fiction, cyclic history, human caused crisis
    The Keeper by Sarah Langan (bnbookgirl)
    Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons (Scottneumann)
    The Chrysalids by John Wyndham (kw50197)
    The Hunt by Andrew Fukuda (aliklein)
    Parasite by Mira Grant (4leschats)
    4leschats: Similar themes of science/medicine gone wrong and a female protagonist
    The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan (ahstrick)

English (406)  Dutch (6)  German (3)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (417)
wonderful! Complex and straightforward at the same time. ( )
  AKmary | Aug 19, 2014 |
First of all,I wanted to give this book a 4.5 but since there is no chance for that I gave it 5 stars.
I admit it that I was drawn into this book because it has vampires in it.I am in totally love with vampire stories and the book got mostly good reviews.So I decided to read it.But after reading the first few chapters I realized it was not the kind of vampire stories I read before.It was a science fiction after all.I couldn't expect the normal vampire romance kind of thing.
Here the vampires were not some mythical creatures but some man-made monsters who were affected by a virus during a military experiment.That military experiment went horribly wrong and all hell broke loose.The first part of the story,the pre-apocalyptic part,was well paced and exciting.There was mystery at every corner and I found myself almost holding my breath to know what would happen next.A lot of characters and events were introduced in the span of few pages but with the advancing of the story every parts and events were weaved perfectly to form the main storyline.
The second part was post apocalyptic where the world was in ruins because of the virals(the affected ones with the virus and the ones they bit).The main focus was on the first colony which was guarded by lights and walls from the outside virals attack.In this part the pace of the story was a bit slow.Author introduced a lot of characters here and the surroundings and the events of the colony.It was slow but not boring.Those details of the characters were necessary to understand them better in the later part of the novel.So I am not complaining much.
The main events began when Amy,the girl given the final stage of the virus,came to the colony after 100 years of the main catastrophe.Through Amy they became aware of the others existing outside the walls and began their quest to find them.The pace of the story never became slow again.
I loved every bit of it.The concept,the charcters,the surroundings all were perfect.I liked how the characters matured throughout the whole story.For example Peter,he was at first doubtful,then eager and then determined.The character of Amy was a bit weird but I liked it nevertheless.She was like a walking mystery,a vessel between the two world.There were small things about the characters which were so nice and touchy,like the General Vorhees.He drew pictures of his family to remeber them.That was so touchy.
And about the Dracula movie,I felt sad when Peter couldn't find out the ending of the movie and thought Meena was gonna be killed.But at the end of the story he found out and I was relieved.I don't know why it bothered me in the first place.It was totally my personal feelings but I was glad at his finding out.
So overall a wonderful read.A little slow pacing at the middle doesn't really matter.The rest of the story will certainly make it up for that. ( )
  sreeparna | Jul 27, 2014 |
Sometimes tedious, sometimes exciting. The characters are well developed, and the invented, post-apocalyptic world has integrity in its detail. Well researched. Should appeal to the paranoid, but not so much the Twilight fans. These ain't your "Edward-ain" vampires. ( )
  KRoan | Jul 25, 2014 |
I am a total sucker for postapocalyptic stories, and this one brings the dysfunction in spades. I can't wait to see how it ends!

Caveat: I wish I had known going in that this is the first book in a planned trilogy---the pacing and ending would have made more sense. The book does do very well at creating a sense of impending doom, and the immediate aftermath is portrayed well. It's just a bit uneven, and then it just stops, rather than ends. Now I'll have to read the trilogy to judge this one fairly. Oh, darn. ( )
  Pat_F. | Jul 25, 2014 |
Best post -apocalyptic epic since Steven King's "The Stand." Fast paced,moving, well written, it has that rare "non-put downable" quality to it. BTW, avoid the audio book, ruined by the world's worst ham, Scott Brick. ( )
  HenryKrinkle | Jul 23, 2014 |
I turned The Passage's pages feverishly to find out what happened next.
added by simon_carr | editThe Observer, Alice Fisher (Jul 18, 2010)

Cronin leaps back and forth in time, sprinkling his narrative with diaries, ­e-mail messages, maps, newspaper articles and legal documents. Sustaining such a long book is a tough endeavor, and every so often his prose slackens into inert phrases (“his mind would be tumbling like a dryer”). For the most part, though, he artfully unspools his plot’s complexities, and seemingly superfluous details come to connect in remarkable ways.

added by mks27 | editThe New York Times, Mike Peed (Jun 25, 2010)

When all's said and done, The Passage is a wonderful idea for a book that – like too many American TV series – knows how good it is and therefore outstays its welcome. There are enough human themes (hope, love, survival, friendship, the power of dreams) to raise it well above the average horror, but its internal battle between the literary and the schlock will, I

T MAY already have the Stephen King stamp of approval and the Ridley Scott movie-script treatment but American author Justin Cronin's 800-page blockbuster The Passage comes from humble beginnings.

"Every book starts somewhere and this came from a dare of a nine-year-old child," he says of his daughter Iris, who wanted a story where a young girl saves the world.

Justin Croninprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brick, ScottNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schroderus, ArtoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
When I have seen by Time's fell hand defac'd
the rich proud cost of outworn buried age;
When sometimes lofty towers I see down-raz'd,
And brass eternal slave to mortal rage;
When I have seen the hungry ocean gain
Advantage on the kingdom of the shore,
And the firm soil win of the watery main,
Increasing store with loss, and loss with store;
When I have seen such interchange of state,
Or state itself confounded to decay;
Ruin hath taught me thus to ruminate
That Time will come and take my love away.

-William Shakespeare, Sonnet 64
For my children, No bad dreams.
Before she became the Girl from Nowhere- the One Who Walked In, the First and Last and Only, who lived a thousand years- she was just a little girl in Iowa, named Amy.
He stepped into the stars.

It's called Project NOAH: a secret government experiment designed to weaponize the human body. But this experiment goes horribly awry when twelve test subjects escape, spreading a virus that turns human beings into something else-something hungrier, deadlier, and seemingly undestructible. The thirteenth test subject, a six-year-old girl named Amy, is rescued by an FBI agent. Together they flee to the mountains of Oregon, cut off from civilization as the disastrous repercussions of Project NOAH are unleashed upon the world. The Passage creates an all-too-believable world dominated by fear and the need to survive, and introduces the strange and silent girl who may hold in her hands the fate of the human race.

A security breach at a secret U.S. government facility unleashes the monstrous product of a chilling military experiment that only six-year-old orphan Amy Harper Bellafonte can stop.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Cemetery Dance

An edition of this book was published by Cemetery Dance.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Passage by Justin Cronin was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,347,742 books! | Top bar: Always visible