Flickan från ingenstans by Justin Cronin

Flickan från ingenstans (original 2010; edition 2011)

by Justin Cronin

Info:Norstedt, 2011.
Collections:Lästa, Read but unowned, Favorites
Rating:*****
Tags:Postapokalyps, Monster, Vampyrer, Läst2012

The Passage by Justin Cronin (2010)

The Stand: The Complete and Uncut Edition by Stephen King (Jacey25, drweb, smiteme)
    The Strain by Guillermo del Toro (kraaivrouw, smiteme, questionablepotato)
    kraaivrouw: Similar intentions and a lot more fun.
    Swan Song by Robert McCammon (Scottneumann)
    World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks (divinenanny)
    Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood (divinenanny)
    divinenanny: Post apocalyptic dystopia
    The Road by Cormac McCarthy (Anonymous user)
    Under The Dome by Stephen King (jlparent)
    jlparent: The Passage reminded me greatly of "Under the Dome", with its intense look at how people cope in a 'new' world. Obviously it's also is hugely reminiscent of "The Stand" as already recommended.
    The Green Mile by Stephen King (Thomas.Taylor)
    The Walking Dead: Compendium One by Robert Kirkman (Jacey25)
    Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: Both books are inventive dystopian novels of a future after a pandemic collapses civilization.
    Pure by Julianna Baggott (Suhani)
    A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller Jr. (readaholic12)
    readaholic12: post-apocalyptic multi-generational science fiction, cyclic history, human caused crisis
    Rot and Ruin by Jonathan Maberry (Scottneumann)
    Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons (Scottneumann)
    The Reapers Are the Angels by Alden Bell (BeckyJG)
    Earth Abides by George R. Stewart (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: This classic dystopian novel explores the world after an unspecified apocalypse. Like The Passage, Earth Abides involves both the scavenging of the remains of civilization rather than production and a journey to see how others have coped. No vampires, though.… (more)
    The Chrysalids by John Wyndham (kw50197)
    The Keeper by Sarah Langan (bnbookgirl)
    The Twelve by Justin Cronin (sturlington)
    sturlington: Well, you have to read the sequel!
    The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan (ahstrick)

English (482)  Dutch (7)  German (3)  Swedish (3)  Danish (1)  French (1)  All (497)
Although I'm not giving this story 5 stars, I think the author has awesome skills. My favorite reads make me feel. I didn't tear up, laugh, get angry, fall in love or quiver in fear. It was like reading a report, amazing details without many emotions.

The reader has to constantly figure things out and keep up with different time periods and groups of people. Some parts were super interesting to me, and some parts made me feel a little lost. I think this is a great novel, but I read it at a time that it didn't all click right with my mood or something.

I would love to see it in film (which I think is happening) or tv, but with all the multiple plots, just this first book could be a couple of seasons of a tv show. I'm sure I'll read the next book at some point.
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |

ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
It's so funny; when I found the first book in this series, I'd not heard of Justin Cronin nor The Passage Trilogy. I actually got the book from Dollar Tree (everybody knows Dollar Tree!) So with my book that cost me one buck, I happened to see, about three weeks later, that there was a third book being released. I was panicked- I had a book that belonged in a series and I didn't know the title of book two! So I set out and purchased book two (Cost me $20!) and signed up to possibly win book three. Well guess what...

I lucked out and ended up with all three, paying a whopping $22 for three huge novels, and let me tell you: They're amazing. Justin Cronin is amazing. You should have these books in your library!

​ All three of these books are one enormous story that spans well over a millennia. The world has fallen and its only hope to carry on any semblance of humanity stems from a single girl. Amy Harper Bellafonte. In The Passage, an FBI agent and his partner are called to pick up a girl for a special, government project, along with other malefactors. She doesn't belong, she doesn't fit but she and Agent Brad Walgast form a bond that causes him to go against the grain and hide her away. And it's good that he does! There's a viral infection that sweeps the nation, killing over 7 billion people.

Anyone who comes into contact with Amy seems to benefit from her special gifts, and she is very special. But with all the good Amy unusually shares, the world can not be saved. Those infected change. They become something horrific and they eat people. Before you know it, civilization, as we know it is gone. But there are survivors...

The Passage Trilogy
Justin Cronin
Ballantine Books & Wheeler Publishing
June 8, 2010 ( )
1 vote AReneeHunt | Jan 2, 2017 |
I've always been a fan of apocalypse fiction. I enjoyed this book a great deal. It's not life changing but it's a good story. It covers a lot of ground as it's 766 page length might suggest and it manages to convey some small idea of hope that some goodness might live through the end of the world. ( )
  NicolaCT | Jan 2, 2017 |
Justin Cronin's "The Passage" reads like one story by three authors. Three entirely different authors. The story begins with an army bio-experiment going horribly wrong, eventually leading to widespread devastation. In the first part, you saw the grittiness of jail and felt the oppressive Texas summer heat. This can almost be a Cormac McCarthy novel or the first True Detective. Elements of magical realism are brought in with Sister Lacey and are used sparingly throughout the story. This story completely cuts off and another picks up quite a ways into the future. In the second portion, the story becomes a dystopian science-fiction tale with humanity's declining remnant living on and among the last civilization's debris. Mad Max with hordes of zombie Predators as the villains.This portion can be viewed as dry by some without much action, but I found the world-building elements interesting and well-imagined. THEN we have the third part.

The third part.

In the third part we have a Young Adult series grafted on to move the story forward with considerable action. Some of the original characters are brought back in and the loop is closed. While nowhere near as maudlin as other YA series like the Hunger Games or Twilight, and far better written, the Third Part doesn't have the same intensity as the first part despite containing most of the action. It should make a fine TV series, though. Part of my cynical nature says the book was written with either movie or TV in mind. Portions end a little too cleanly and Cronin becomes less likely to kill off or disappear any major characters.

I enjoyed reading this and will likely continue on to the next in the series. ( )
1 vote Hae-Yu | Dec 18, 2016 |
I turned The Passage's pages feverishly to find out what happened next.
added by simon_carr | editThe Observer, Alice Fisher (Jul 18, 2010)

Cronin leaps back and forth in time, sprinkling his narrative with diaries, ­e-mail messages, maps, newspaper articles and legal documents. Sustaining such a long book is a tough endeavor, and every so often his prose slackens into inert phrases (“his mind would be tumbling like a dryer”). For the most part, though, he artfully unspools his plot’s complexities, and seemingly superfluous details come to connect in remarkable ways.

added by mks27 | editThe New York Times, Mike Peed (Jun 25, 2010)

When all's said and done, The Passage is a wonderful idea for a book that – like too many American TV series – knows how good it is and therefore outstays its welcome. There are enough human themes (hope, love, survival, friendship, the power of dreams) to raise it well above the average horror, but its internal battle between the literary and the schlock will, I

T MAY already have the Stephen King stamp of approval and the Ridley Scott movie-script treatment but American author Justin Cronin's 800-page blockbuster The Passage comes from humble beginnings.

"Every book starts somewhere and this came from a dare of a nine-year-old child," he says of his daughter Iris, who wanted a story where a young girl saves the world.

Justin Croninprimary authorall editionscalculated
Brick, ScottNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lanceniece, LigitaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schroderus, ArtoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
When I have seen by Time's fell hand defac'd
the rich proud cost of outworn buried age;
When sometimes lofty towers I see down-raz'd,
And brass eternal slave to mortal rage;
When I have seen the hungry ocean gain
Advantage on the kingdom of the shore,
And the firm soil win of the watery main,
Increasing store with loss, and loss with store;
When I have seen such interchange of state,
Or state itself confounded to decay;
Ruin hath taught me thus to ruminate
That Time will come and take my love away.

-William Shakespeare, Sonnet 64
For my children, No bad dreams.
Before she became the Girl from Nowhere- the One Who Walked In, the First and Last and Only, who lived a thousand years- she was just a little girl in Iowa, named Amy.
He stepped into the stars.

It's called Project NOAH: a secret government experiment designed to weaponize the human body. But this experiment goes horribly awry when twelve test subjects escape, spreading a virus that turns human beings into something else-something hungrier, deadlier, and seemingly undestructible. The thirteenth test subject, a six-year-old girl named Amy, is rescued by an FBI agent. Together they flee to the mountains of Oregon, cut off from civilization as the disastrous repercussions of Project NOAH are unleashed upon the world. The Passage creates an all-too-believable world dominated by fear and the need to survive, and introduces the strange and silent girl who may hold in her hands the fate of the human race.

A security breach at a secret U.S. government facility unleashes the monstrous product of a chilling military experiment that only six-year-old orphan Amy Harper Bellafonte can stop.

Cemetery Dance

An edition of this book was published by Cemetery Dance.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Passage by Justin Cronin was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,542,419 books! | Top bar: Always visible