The Passage (The Passage Trilogy) by Justin…

The Passage (The Passage Trilogy) (edition 2010)

by Justin Cronin

5,325424826 (3.91)1 / 423
Member:doctorsquale
Title:The Passage (The Passage Trilogy)
Authors:Justin Cronin
Info:Orion (2010), Kindle Edition, 785 pages
Rating:***
Tags:2013, fiction, english, sf

The Passage by Justin Cronin

Recently added byculturion, private library, donnijo, dschnell, zootramp, Verkruissen, paupersgrave, minus
    The Stand by Stephen King (Jacey25, drweb, smiteme)
    The Strain by Guillermo Del Toro (kraaivrouw, smiteme, questionablepotato)
    kraaivrouw: Similar intentions and a lot more fun.
    Swan Song by Robert McCammon (Scottneumann)
    World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks (divinenanny)
    Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood (divinenanny)
    divinenanny: Post apocalyptic dystopia
    The Road by Cormac McCarthy (Anonymous user)
    Under the Dome by Stephen King (jlparent)
    jlparent: The Passage reminded me greatly of "Under the Dome", with its intense look at how people cope in a 'new' world. Obviously it's also is hugely reminiscent of "The Stand" as already recommended.
    The Green Mile by Stephen King (Thomas.Taylor)
    The Walking Dead: Compendium One by Robert Kirkman (Jacey25)
    A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller Jr. (readaholic12)
    readaholic12: post-apocalyptic multi-generational science fiction, cyclic history, human caused crisis
    Pure by Julianna Baggott (Suhani)
    The Reapers Are the Angels by Alden Bell (BeckyJG)
    Rot and Ruin by Jonathan Maberry (Scottneumann)
    Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons (Scottneumann)
    The Chrysalids by John Wyndham (kw50197)
    Earth Abides by George R. Stewart (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: This classic dystopian novel explores the world after an unspecified apocalypse. Like The Passage, Earth Abides involves both the scavenging of the remains of civilization rather than production and a journey to see how others have coped. No vampires, though.… (more)
    I Am Legend by Richard Matheson (sturlington)
    The Twelve by Justin Cronin (sturlington)
    sturlington: Well, you have to read the sequel!
    The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan (ahstrick)
    The Keeper by Sarah Langan (bnbookgirl)

English (413)  Dutch (6)  German (3)  Swedish (2)  Danish (1)  French (1)  All languages (426)
What a great story. I loved the character build of and the detail. ( )
  jaddington | Feb 16, 2015 |
What a great story. I loved the character build of and the detail. ( )
  jaddington | Feb 16, 2015 |
A virus changes people into vampires instead of the strong military men that the experiment proposed.Vampires without any redeeming qualities. Very dark and scary. Similar to Stephen King. Sucks you in. ( )
  jenzbaker | Jan 13, 2015 |
READ IN DUTCH

The US army has a wonderful plan to solve problems like ageing (and gaining control over the World). Use extracts of the thymus of vampires to give their (the American) soldiers a very long life. This sounds like a plan that cannot possibly go wrong, right?

Of course it does go wrong. The serum is tested on 12 death-row prisoners (great plan, if I was turning people into vampires I would definitely start with the ones who felt like killing even before being transformed) and - for story's sake - a little girl.

As was not really unexpected, the vampires escape and terrorize the world by killing almost everyone they encounter (and turning one-tenth of them into new vampires). Needless to say at this point I think, we're not talking about Twilight vampires. They don't sparkle.

After this cosy, heart warming tale, we skip forward about 100 years to a special build colony that has somehow resisted the vampire (they're called virals) attacks. And this is were the story gets a bit boring. The first part is action packed, 'I'm going to check my room just to make sure there are no virals'-thrilling, the second part is more people coping with living in this colony while planning to kill all the virals (we're talking about millions of them) after the young girl reappears.

Is this the end, you ask? No, of course not. This (in Dutch version) 960(!) pages long novel is just the first of a trilogy of which The Twelve is the second part. I haven't read The Twelve yet, but it's high on my TBR. ( )
  Floratina | Jan 4, 2015 |
I'm sorry but 600 pages in, I'm giving up. I may finish this at some point, but the only characters I liked died (maybe...) within the first two hundred pages. The novel starts off promisingly enough. The beginning is genuinely creepy, with the virals infiltrating dreams. Then, BAM! Time skip. Which would be fine because the novel has some interesting things to say about time, but if there's going to be a shift, can we at least get some likable characters? Even the dang book-jacket tricked me (the summary saying that the novel follows Amy and Wolgast).

I really did try to give Peter Jaxon and company a chance, but after the first four hundred pages, I still didn't care what happened to any of them. There are just too many people in this fellowship and none of them have any personality. I think Cronin was trying to imagine some postracial society with the survivors, but my impression of our protagonists are white, white, white (some of them have Chinese and Indian names, but then other characters are blonde girls--huh?? i thought everyone would have been mixed-race by now.

Cronin is a good writer but it's just too Hollywood that only the hot young people get to survive. I mean, all the best fighters end up leaving the colony to go on this fool's mission, leaving the colony undefended! None of it makes any sense.

I'm sure this will make a decent movie trilogy starring. If you can watch that, there's no reason to slog through this book.
  megantron | Jan 2, 2015 |
I turned The Passage's pages feverishly to find out what happened next.
added by simon_carr | editThe Observer, Alice Fisher (Jul 18, 2010)

Cronin leaps back and forth in time, sprinkling his narrative with diaries, ­e-mail messages, maps, newspaper articles and legal documents. Sustaining such a long book is a tough endeavor, and every so often his prose slackens into inert phrases (“his mind would be tumbling like a dryer”). For the most part, though, he artfully unspools his plot’s complexities, and seemingly superfluous details come to connect in remarkable ways.

added by mks27 | editThe New York Times, Mike Peed (Jun 25, 2010)

When all's said and done, The Passage is a wonderful idea for a book that – like too many American TV series – knows how good it is and therefore outstays its welcome. There are enough human themes (hope, love, survival, friendship, the power of dreams) to raise it well above the average horror, but its internal battle between the literary and the schlock will, I

T MAY already have the Stephen King stamp of approval and the Ridley Scott movie-script treatment but American author Justin Cronin's 800-page blockbuster The Passage comes from humble beginnings.

"Every book starts somewhere and this came from a dare of a nine-year-old child," he says of his daughter Iris, who wanted a story where a young girl saves the world.

Justin Croninprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brick, ScottNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schroderus, ArtoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
When I have seen by Time's fell hand defac'd
the rich proud cost of outworn buried age;
When sometimes lofty towers I see down-raz'd,
And brass eternal slave to mortal rage;
When I have seen the hungry ocean gain
Advantage on the kingdom of the shore,
And the firm soil win of the watery main,
Increasing store with loss, and loss with store;
When I have seen such interchange of state,
Or state itself confounded to decay;
Ruin hath taught me thus to ruminate
That Time will come and take my love away.

-William Shakespeare, Sonnet 64
For my children, No bad dreams.
Before she became the Girl from Nowhere- the One Who Walked In, the First and Last and Only, who lived a thousand years- she was just a little girl in Iowa, named Amy.
He stepped into the stars.

It's called Project NOAH: a secret government experiment designed to weaponize the human body. But this experiment goes horribly awry when twelve test subjects escape, spreading a virus that turns human beings into something else-something hungrier, deadlier, and seemingly undestructible. The thirteenth test subject, a six-year-old girl named Amy, is rescued by an FBI agent. Together they flee to the mountains of Oregon, cut off from civilization as the disastrous repercussions of Project NOAH are unleashed upon the world. The Passage creates an all-too-believable world dominated by fear and the need to survive, and introduces the strange and silent girl who may hold in her hands the fate of the human race.

A security breach at a secret U.S. government facility unleashes the monstrous product of a chilling military experiment that only six-year-old orphan Amy Harper Bellafonte can stop.

Cemetery Dance

An edition of this book was published by Cemetery Dance.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Passage by Justin Cronin was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,244,803 books! | Top bar: Always visible