The Passage by Justin Cronin

The Passage (edition 2010)

by Justin Cronin

Collections:Your library, To read
Rating:***
Tags:Fiction, Horror

The Passage by Justin Cronin

The Stand: The Complete and Uncut Edition by Stephen King (Jacey25, drweb, smiteme)
    The Strain: Book One of The Strain Trilogy by Guillermo Del Toro (kraaivrouw, smiteme, questionablepotato)
    kraaivrouw: Similar intentions and a lot more fun.
    Swan Song by Robert McCammon (Scottneumann)
    World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks (divinenanny)
    Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood (divinenanny)
    divinenanny: Post apocalyptic dystopia
    The Road by Cormac McCarthy (Anonymous user)
    Under the Dome by Stephen King (jlparent)
    jlparent: The Passage reminded me greatly of "Under the Dome", with its intense look at how people cope in a 'new' world. Obviously it's also is hugely reminiscent of "The Stand" as already recommended.
    The Green Mile by Stephen King (Thomas.Taylor)
    The Walking Dead: Compendium One by Robert Kirkman (Jacey25)
    A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller Jr. (readaholic12)
    readaholic12: post-apocalyptic multi-generational science fiction, cyclic history, human caused crisis
    Pure by Julianna Baggott (Suhani)
    The Reapers Are the Angels by Alden Bell (BeckyJG)
    Rot and Ruin by Jonathan Maberry (Scottneumann)
    Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons (Scottneumann)
    The Chrysalids by John Wyndham (kw50197)
    Earth Abides by George R. Stewart (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: This classic dystopian novel explores the world after an unspecified apocalypse. Like The Passage, Earth Abides involves both the scavenging of the remains of civilization rather than production and a journey to see how others have coped. No vampires, though.… (more)
    I Am Legend by Richard Matheson (sturlington)
    The Twelve (Book Two of The Passage Trilogy): A Novel by Justin Cronin (sturlington)
    sturlington: Well, you have to read the sequel!
    The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan (ahstrick)
    The Keeper by Sarah Langan (bnbookgirl)

English (428)  Dutch (6)  German (3)  Swedish (3)  Danish (1)  French (1)  All languages (442)
I love post-apocalyptic novels, but I'm struggling with this one. I don't understand the hype associated with this book...maybe I just can't get into a long paragraph describing a man lying on a bunk smoking a cigarette, thinking about nothing. I also don't like it when I get involved (finally!) with a character and they are killed off in the next paragraph. I've finished the first third of this book and started the second part, but it doesn't look much more promising.

Okay. I decided life is too short to waste any more time on a book I really don't like....There are too many books out there that are better fitted to my tastes. ( )
  Stembie3 | Jun 14, 2015 |
I was working in the library when this book came out, and I picked it up, read the inside flap, and put it back down about sixty times, it seemed like. It’s a vampire book. I’ve never been a vampire fan, and the few great vampire books I’ve read have pretty much exhausted me of the genre, anyway.

But after much wishy‐washing about ‘The Passage,’ it was recommended to me in glowing terms, so I finally took it home. And you know what? It’s freaking awesome.

My full review is here, on Hot Stuff for Cool People. ( )
  hotforcool | May 31, 2015 |
Wonderful book. Best I've read in over 6 months. I simply devoured the 1000 pages in less than a week. The only thing that annoyed me, is that at the end it turned out that The Passage is only the first book in what is - hopefully - to become a series... and the second book isn't published yet!

I bought The Passage to try out the horror genre, but it turned out to be more of an epic story, combined with horror-elements. It absolutely worked for me. Highly recommended! ( )
  bbbart | May 30, 2015 |
[Cross-posted to Knite Writes]

So, this 900 page monster took me about three weeks to read, and for the first time in a long time, I didn’t actually mind the length. This book was epic on so many dimensions there’s no way I can describe them in a single review, so I’m just going to summarize some key points as best I can.

The world-building — By far the strongest element of the book. 900 pages doesn’t seem that long when every page describes a rich, vibrant world. Beginning with a spot-on depiction of an alternate 2014 where things have slipped slightly farther toward a true dystopia and moving into a post-apocalyptic community with an expertly constructed culture based on the remnants of the world that came before, Cronin nails the world-building in this book.

The characters — Going hand in hand with the world-building, the characters in this book were excellent. From the minor characters to the main protagonists, every personality was well thought out, every backstory was interesting; there wasn’t a single character I thought could have been cut or reworked in any way.

The plot — Yet another strong aspect of the story. The plot isn’t totally original in terms of its premise or execution, but Cronin pulls it off far better than most. There are no noticeable holes, no leaps of logic, and nothing appears to be missing. It’s a well-written, deep, and introspective story that offers a fairly fresh take on the vampire apocalypse genre.

The only sore point in this book for me was a event that took place near the end that irritated me quite a bit. The book spent a great deal of time leading into a certain conclusion, and then that conclusion, which I expected to open up A LOT of new doors, ended up being literally thrown away a few pages later. I was let down by that, because I really wanted to see what it would lead to.

Other than that, though, this book made for a pretty epic read, and at some point in the future, I will read the sequel. ( )
  TherinKnite | Apr 28, 2015 |
People are the reason for the end of the world as we know it. And that seems much more likely than flood or crashing meteorites. The sad thing is - in The Passage the world ended because someone tried to save it by developing a cure for aging.

I knew I'd love this book when reading the first chapter. Then I started hating the constant introduction of new characters - it was not easy to keep changing my focus. Especially, in the second part, where for chapters and chapters there wasn't any mention of the characters Before, and I couldn't wait to read about Amy again. When she finally appeared, the story still seemed kind of purposeless - I got that the world ended, I got there were survivors who tried to live as best and safe as they could, but so what? Of course it all changed soon enough, and there appeared a plan, a purpose, a trip, an adventure. Oh and the home of Babock with human sacrifices every full moon was the best and the freakiest of it! And Amy just used her please and thank yous to ask the crazy killer to please not kill her friend. Amy, by the way, was amazing from the first chapters and I missed reading her point of view.

The book can be characterized in one word - unputdownable. Never in my life 800 pages felt like ten times less. Thank God I don't have to wait to read the second part. Though I doubt I'll be able to wait for the third. ( )
  v_allery | Apr 19, 2015 |
I turned The Passage's pages feverishly to find out what happened next.
added by simon_carr | editThe Observer, Alice Fisher (Jul 18, 2010)

Cronin leaps back and forth in time, sprinkling his narrative with diaries, ­e-mail messages, maps, newspaper articles and legal documents. Sustaining such a long book is a tough endeavor, and every so often his prose slackens into inert phrases (“his mind would be tumbling like a dryer”). For the most part, though, he artfully unspools his plot’s complexities, and seemingly superfluous details come to connect in remarkable ways.

added by mks27 | editThe New York Times, Mike Peed (Jun 25, 2010)

When all's said and done, The Passage is a wonderful idea for a book that – like too many American TV series – knows how good it is and therefore outstays its welcome. There are enough human themes (hope, love, survival, friendship, the power of dreams) to raise it well above the average horror, but its internal battle between the literary and the schlock will, I

T MAY already have the Stephen King stamp of approval and the Ridley Scott movie-script treatment but American author Justin Cronin's 800-page blockbuster The Passage comes from humble beginnings.

"Every book starts somewhere and this came from a dare of a nine-year-old child," he says of his daughter Iris, who wanted a story where a young girl saves the world.

Justin Croninprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brick, ScottNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schroderus, ArtoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
When I have seen by Time's fell hand defac'd
the rich proud cost of outworn buried age;
When sometimes lofty towers I see down-raz'd,
And brass eternal slave to mortal rage;
When I have seen the hungry ocean gain
Advantage on the kingdom of the shore,
And the firm soil win of the watery main,
Increasing store with loss, and loss with store;
When I have seen such interchange of state,
Or state itself confounded to decay;
Ruin hath taught me thus to ruminate
That Time will come and take my love away.

-William Shakespeare, Sonnet 64
For my children, No bad dreams.
Before she became the Girl from Nowhere- the One Who Walked In, the First and Last and Only, who lived a thousand years- she was just a little girl in Iowa, named Amy.
He stepped into the stars.

It's called Project NOAH: a secret government experiment designed to weaponize the human body. But this experiment goes horribly awry when twelve test subjects escape, spreading a virus that turns human beings into something else-something hungrier, deadlier, and seemingly undestructible. The thirteenth test subject, a six-year-old girl named Amy, is rescued by an FBI agent. Together they flee to the mountains of Oregon, cut off from civilization as the disastrous repercussions of Project NOAH are unleashed upon the world. The Passage creates an all-too-believable world dominated by fear and the need to survive, and introduces the strange and silent girl who may hold in her hands the fate of the human race.

A security breach at a secret U.S. government facility unleashes the monstrous product of a chilling military experiment that only six-year-old orphan Amy Harper Bellafonte can stop.

Cemetery Dance

An edition of this book was published by Cemetery Dance.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Passage by Justin Cronin was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,856,973 books! | Top bar: Always visible