It's Not You, It's Me by Kerry…

It's Not You, It's Me

by Kerry Cohen Hoffmann

This book, in my opinion, was terrific. I read it in one day, it's a quick read, and definitely worth it.

The main character, Zoe,is head over heels for her boyfriend Henry, and he breaks up with her. She's willing to go through anything to get him back. She goes through a numerous amount of changes, both on the outside and inside, and does some pretty crazy things.

The characters in this book are so memorable, I loved every one of them. This is an extremely relatable story, and it's funny while you also feel bad for Zoe. This book is great for anyone who just had a breakup, is trying to find themselves, or just for a quick read. I definitely recommend it! ( )
  indiaO | Nov 26, 2013 |
After six months and 218 kisses, Zoe is blindsided when boyfriend Henry tells her he wants out--he wants to focus on his band, he says, and not have a girlfriend right now. Zoe takes the news calmly, but she won't take it lying down. Zoe writes him poems and sneaks them into his locker, his pants pocket (while he's in gym class), even his bedroom window, in her efforts to win him back. Zoe's best friends Julia and Shannon discourage her and tell her she's acting crazy, but she can't help herself. In an effort to preserve what's left of Zoe's dignity, Shannon and Julia devise Plan B: make Henry jealous. It's a plan that works, but maybe doesn't work exactly as intended....

Zoe, by all accounts, has been completely wrapped up in Henry since hey started dating, to the exclusion of her own friends and interests, and now that he's extricated himself from her life, Zoe has trouble coping with this loss of identity. It's a common story and realistically told--one can't help but have sympathy for Zoe, despite her whining and desperate behavior. Her friends are one-dimensional and Zoe is the center of everyone's lives: Shannon offers advice on moving on, Julia encourages Zoe to get back to the things she enjoyed, and her friend Sam's support amounts to his suggestions that he would be an excellent boyfriend now that Zoe is single again. The use of the present tense in writing forces the story to be more immediate than the plot warrants, and while there's hope for Zoe a month post-breakup, the characters never really change or gain much perspective. Some grammatical, syntax, and punctuation errors distract from the writing, though these, hopefully, will be fixed before publication. An okay book, but not a necessary one. ( )
  librarybrandy | Mar 31, 2013 |
I've read two other books by Kerry Cohen that I enjoyed, and I can say the same about this book too, for sure. It follows the narrator, Zoe through the first 31 days after her first breakup and the crazy things she does to get her ex to notice her, all in hopes he'll want to get back together. And in the end, she finds herself again and what it means to stay true to the one person who means the most. A quick, short read, I definitely recommend this book. ( )
  kissmeimgone | Sep 6, 2012 |
Full review at http://yannabe.com/2010/01/28/review-its-not-you-its-me/

Summary: After 6 months of happiness, Zoe’s boyfriend Henry dumps her so he can focus on his band. But Zoe thinks—no, knows—he’s made a huge mistake, and she sets out to win him back.

Review: Jack Tumor was an impulse pick from the library that paid off. This impulse pick, not so much.

From the very start of the book, the main character was over-the-top psycho, with a capital CRAZY. She just could not function on even the most basic level.

How about an example, lest you think I’m being unfair? In the first chapter, Zoe calls her boyfriend Henry at their normal time of 9 pm. He doesn’t answer. So she calls one of her friends, then another, to discuss what might be going on. Here’s a snippet of her second conversation, with her friend Shannon:

“I know you,” Shannon continues. “You’ve already turned this into Something Meaningful. Nothing’s happened. He didn’t answer his phone, that’s it.”

“But in six months?” Zoe can hear the whine in her voice. “In six months we haven’t missed a nine p.m. phone call.”

“Zoe.” Shannon only uses Zoe’s full name when she means business. “I’m not saying things look good, but you have no proof that things are bad either.”

“Maybe I can get proof,” Zoe says in a measured voice.

“Zoe.”

“I could go over there, just happen to be walking by.”

“Zoe!”

“Or I could quickly peek in the windows. I’d only have to see Henry to know what he’s feeling.”

This is on page 4. Her obsession only ramps up from there. Later, she does “just happen to” walk by. And worse.

We’ve all experienced a touch of the crazy in our dating lives. But this is extreme. And the way that it’s presented, I often had the feeling I was supposed to be laughing at Zoe’s ridiculousness. That didn’t exactly help me empathize and connect with her. Zoe is a caricature, not a character.

The mechanics of the writing were fine. I just didn’t care about the main character. The only reason I finished reading it is because I got caught holding a napping toddler without another book to switch to. ( )
  snozzberry | Jan 27, 2010 |
Zoe loves Henry. They've been dating for six months, a time when she has counted his kisses and devoted herself entirely to supporting Henry and his band. Which makes it all the more devastating when Henry breaks up with her. Zoe pretends to be fine with it, but only because she is sure she can win Henry back. Despite warnings from her friends and family, Zoe dives headlong into obsession; she writes Henry poems and creates photo-collages; she sneaks them into his bedroom and his school locker while stealing pens and smelling his clothing. Her two best friends do what they can to stop Zoe and then finally give in, helping her try to win him back by making him jealous. Over the course of a month, we see Zoe's life after D-Day, Dumping Day, and how she overreacts, obsesses, and embarrasses herself, finally realizing that giving herself up to be with Henry was a mistake.

This book tends to hit you over the message to stay true to yourself. Zoe moves into stalker territory fairly quickly and you'll find yourself cringing at her poems and her addiction to Henry. However, teens may find a lot to relate to in Zoe's story. Hoffmann captures the pain of having to see an ex at school every day and listen to the rumors fly, adding in humor to lighten the mood. Some of the characters are stereotypes - there's the boy that Zoe obviously should be dating, the inattentive parents, and the well-meaning-but-goofy teacher. The ending also wraps up too quickly, with Zoe's big embarrassing moment passing in a blur and her sudden realization that she needs to let Henry go. This is a meh book, not bad, but not one you must have. ( )
  tiamatq | Dec 3, 2009 |

Funny and touching—this is a heartfelt breakup story.

Zoe loves Henry.

Henry dumps Zoe.

Zoe wants Henry back—at any cost.

Zoe’s two best friends come up with a plan to help Zoe get what she thinks she wants. The plan: make Henry jealous.

But the plan takes a surprising turn. . . .

Spanning thirty-one days in the cycle of a breakup, Kerry Cohen Hoffmann’s humorous and poignant novel depicts a girl whose single-minded focus on her ex-boyfriend has pulled her far from the person she most needs to win back—herself.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:42 -0400)

Follows sixteen-year-old Zo?e through the first thirty-one days after Henry, her boyfriend of six months, breaks up with her, as she moves from being obsessed with getting back together to finding herself again.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,778,655 books! | Top bar: Always visible