Tempo Change by Barbara Hall

Tempo Change

by Barbara Hall

I think the cover is beautiful. I think if it hadn't had the cover it does, I wouldn't have liked the book. I know, don't judge a book by its cover! ;) It wasn't a very intriguing story but it was decent.

Innuendo: The main character's mom sleeps with her boyfriend. There is a mention of the two neighbor ladies that are married.

Violence: none

Swearing: I don't think there is any

Drinking, Drugs, or Smoking: The mom goes to AA.

Age Appropriate: Probably 14 and up. ( )
  I_recommend | Oct 20, 2009 |
Reviewed by LadyJay for TeensReadToo.com

"There was so much to say......Now I had someone to say it to."

Blanche Kelly knows good music. She knows music because of her father, Duncan Kelly. He was a musical genius, in his prime.

But most of the people at Laurel Hall Academy (fondly referred to as LaHa by its students) don't know this detail of her life. She tries to keep his influence hidden, but it's always there - the guitar he left with her mother; the music column that she writes for the school newspaper; the snippets of lyrics that Blanche begins to pen.

It all culminates with the creation of The Fringers, an all-female rock band, sprung from the mind of Blanche Kelly herself. Blanche does not necessarily want to start a band, but her over-bearing guidance counselor feels that it would be best if Blanche "stretch" herself artistically. So, The Fringers are born, and a journey begins.

Blanche learns much about herself as a musician, as a daughter, and as a person. Her journey is surreal, yet surprising and profound.

TEMPO CHANGE is an excellent novel. It reminded me a lot of the film Almost Famous. William Miller and Blanche Kelly are very similar characters. Both are thrust into the music industry and must find their way without losing any integrity. Even if you are not familiar with Almost Famous, the book still resonates.

If you are passionate about something, anything, read this. ( )
  GeniusJen | Oct 13, 2009 |
tempo Change, in retrospect, did not have a lot going on - at least, anything major that sticks out in my mind as I type this review. It was basically about a girl who starts a band and hopes that this will entice her father to come back into her life. Nothing too deep or mind-boggling, but I still found it rather charming. A nice story to fill in that small gap of free time right before I completely zonk out from exhaustion.

I suppose, after reading about loud-mouth, rebellious girls, Blanche seems a little quiet in her rebel ways. Let's face it, the girl on the cover doesn't seem very "rebel" material either - more "nice girl" aura. Not a lot of time was spent on the other characters, save one, but even then it was but a blink of an eye. Which sometimes works in books if the main character has quite the presence, but I think it might have made the story more interesting if the other characters had more page time.

Like I said earlier, tempo Change is like a love child from this lullaby and I Wanna Be Your Joey Ramone, but the main character does not have as much spunk and the story is not as compelling. ( )
  theepicrat | Aug 8, 2009 |
I really liked the main character, Blanche's voice. She's spunky, sarcastic and she speaks her mind. She is what she is and she seems fine with it. She has a unique perspective.

One of my favorite things about this book was Blanche's journey to Coachella and meeting her father again. In the form of creating a band called the Fringers from girls she plucked from different parts of her life (her friend, a girl with a wonderful voice in her choir class, and a girl she works with but never really knew). She brings them together and creates what looks a really awesome band. I love the whole scene that they get thrust into and how they bond as a group and become friends and what it helps Blanche learn about herself.

My other favorite thing was Blanche's family. Her and her mother trying to cope with her father leaving when she was six, why did he leave, would he ever come back? And also Blanche trying to get used to a new man in her mother's life, one that also might have some insight to offer her.
I thought Blanche's reunion with her father was an interesting one, I found it rather honest.

About half way through the book there is a strange twist that sort of takes the attention away from Blanche. I'm not really sure how I feel about it. It was interesting but at the same time I think I could have done without it and spent a little bit more time with Blanche just being Blanche. So there's that.

Overall I found this book to be pretty unique and enjoyable! ( )
  mint910 | Jul 5, 2009 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 038573607X, Hardcover)

It’s tough enough defining your identity—imagine if your father was a rock legend.

Blanche Kelly's dad is a famous indie rock icon, but not many people at the private school she attends on scholarship know this. Her father left when she was in the first grade, and she can’t quite forgive her mom for not understanding that an artist like her dad needs the time and space to connect to his muse.

When Blanche creates an all-girl rock band, their sound captures a wide audience and the band is invited to compete at the Coachella Music Festival. Blanche feels this could be the perfect time for a reunion with her father. Won’t he be proud to hear her band? Won’t he be happy to get to know his only daughter?

Author Barbara Hall sensitively explores the expectations between parents and teens, as well as the value of learning about your past to make your own future.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:05:23 -0400)

Sixteen-year-old Blanche forms a band that wins a spot at Coachella, a southern California music festival, where she hopes to reconnect with her father, a famous but reclusive musician who left when she was six years old.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,352,902 books! | Top bar: Always visible