Victoria by Knut Hamsun

Victoria (1898)

by Knut Hamsun

English (7)  Dutch (2)  Norwegian (1)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (12)
The story was just okay and though I can't complain about the writing, having not read it in its originally written language, I did not take to the translation done by Sverre Lyngstad. There was a sort of insincerity that came off while I was reading, however, to be fair, since this is the first time I've read Hamsun, what I did not like could just as well have been Hamsun's style, which the translator tried to capture or did capture. Anyway, I didn’t like it, but to my surprise, now and then it seemed something shone through the writing that drew me in to continue to read. Something about Hamsun's characters, their helplessness in the face of their self-made societal restraints upon their natural human selves - the essence of that comes through in slight glimmers of light.

I would read Hamsun again, though I think I'll try a different translator the next time just to see if it's translation or Hamsun writing itself that didn't appeal to me.
  s.kaosar | Jan 14, 2011 |
This is like an inferior version of Pan. Thankfully, it's short. And probably it's better than I give it credit for--but it's just hard not to compare it to his other masterpieces. This story of unrequited love doesn't say anything about obsession, delirium, or irrationality that Pan doesn't say much better and with much more humor. It does, however, touch on some class issues, but that in itself makes me want to yawn a great big yawn. ( )
  JimmyChanga | Aug 22, 2010 |
120-leheküljeline taskuformaadis ja kõvas köites romaan

armastusest
  ellekas01 | May 6, 2010 |
  Rose-Marie | Sep 22, 2008 |
Norwegian Classic
  Budzul | May 31, 2008 |
The miller's son was thinking as he walked.

When it first appeared in 1898, this fourth novel by celebrated Norwegian writer Knut Hamsun captured instant acclaim for its poetic, psychologically intense portrayal of love’s predicament in a class-bound society. Set in a coastal village of late nineteenth-century Norway, Victoria follows two doomed lovers through their thwarted lifelong romance. Johannes, the son of a miller, finds inspiration for his writing in his passionate devotion to Victoria, an impoverished aristocrat constrained by family loyalty. Separated by class barriers and social pressure, the fated pair parts ways, only to realize—too late—the grave misfortune of their lost opportunity. Elegantly rendered in this brand-new translation by Sverre Lyngstad, Victoria’s haunting lyricism and emotional depth remain as timeless as ever.

First time in Penguin Classics

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:22 -0400)

"First published in 1898, this novel by Norwegian writer Knut Hamsun has endured as a classic portrayal of love's predicament in a class-bound society. Set in a coastal village of late nineteenth-century Norway, Victoria follows two lovers whose yearnings are as powerful as the circumstances that conspire to thwart their romance. Johannes, a miller's son turned poet, finds inspiration for his writing in his passionate devotion to Victoria, a daughter of the impoverished lord of the manor, who feels constrained by family loyalty to accept the wealthy young man of her father's choice. Separated by class barriers and social pressure, the fated duo hurt and enthrall each other by turns as they move toward an emotional doom that neither will recognize until it is too late."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,975,512 books! | Top bar: Always visible