The Remarkable Baobab by Thomas Pakenham

The Remarkable Baobab

by Thomas Pakenham

Photos worth the price of admission to this pretty little book priced in pounds sterling, not US dollars. We had to figure out the price. The cashier and owner ended up letting me have it for $12, because we were buying a bunch of books and magazines at an independent store.

Text repetitive and not that inspiring or broadly informative, but that's okay - I was breezing through the book looking at gorgeous photos of massive trees growing in lands I've never visited. I wish the people in the photos were better identified, at least in the captions - they would have made the text a little more interesting to me. However, I always give extra points for paintings and vintage imagery.

This will look nice shelved next to "Lives of the Trees" by Diana Wells, which is next to "Wicked Plants" by Amy Stewart.
  KaterinaBead | Aug 6, 2011 |
This is indeed a remarkable tree and lovely book.
  jon1lambert | Mar 27, 2010 |
Lovely pictures, but the accompanying text is completey mad. ( )
  scroeser | Jan 26, 2009 |

From the best-selling author of Remarkable Trees of the World, a celebration of the most extraordinary tree of them all.

Standing tall on the sunburned plains of Africa and Australia, baobabs may be the oldest life forms on the planet. Many of the specimens still standing today have been around for well over two thousand years. Tremendous in size and bizarre in appearance, they have provided food, medicine, and places of refuge and worship to countless peoples, even serving as prisons and tombs on occasion. Long before European explorers opened up the African continent, the news of these "gnarled upside-down giants" had astonished the world of science and stoked the imagination of naturalists everywhere. Thomas Pakenham chronicles his personal encounters with the baobabs of Africa, Australia, Madagascar, and America and shares the countless superstitions and myths, as well as the often-strange history, that surround these enigmatic trees. With 60 color photos and 144 pages with color throughout, The Remarkable Baobab will be a great, and reasonably priced, gift book for the Christmas season.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:39 -0400)

Tells the myths and legends as well as the curious histories of these remarkable trees.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,439,587 books! | Top bar: Always visible