This Is All: The Pillow Book of Cordelia…

This Is All: The Pillow Book of Cordelia Kenn (2005)

by Aidan Chambers

English (19)  Dutch (2)  All (21)
I remember really liking this book when I read it back in '08 (I think). The story was wonderful, the voice defined and distinguished from the rest. However, I can't remember a whole lot of it, so I will possibly be doing a re-read at one point or another. ( )
  Aly_Locatelli | Jan 26, 2015 |
I'm becoming a Chambers groupie. Damn, but this man can write. This is a huge, sprawling book that chronicles the inner and outer life of Cordelia Kenn from the age of about 15 to 20. Chambers inhabits Cordelia completely, and this book consistently rewards the reader. Complex, infuriating, and achingly real. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
En av mina favoritböcker. Vi följer Cordelia via hennes dagboksanteckningar från femton års ålder fram till nitton. Hon skriver till sin ofödda dotter. Som vanligt ställer författaren höga krav på sina läsare och experimenterar med formen. Någonstans inne i boken får berättelsen två parallella spår där vi måste göra ett val hur vi läser. Själva handlingen först och sedan funderingar kring musik, poesi, filosofi. Eller följa de två spåren samtidigt. En bok som ger en mycket att tänka på och en värld att finnas i. ( )
  LottaDB | Sep 9, 2012 |
To know Cordelia Kenn is to love Cordelia Kenn.I thought this book provided an excellent, albeit, long distration for life. The plot was fairly decent and it was nice to reminicse about high school for awhile. However, parts of the book were rather tedious, such as when Cordelia writes an essay for the reader on the difference between poetry and prose. Perhaps with some fine tuning this could have been a five star book, but alas it is good diversion reading if you have a soft spot for YA literature about British girls and boys who are a tiny bit extraordinary intellectually. ( )
  booksandwine | Oct 7, 2010 |
This is quite possibly one of the greatest books I've read in a long time. Even though it was very long, it was engaging and so well-written. I loved every minute of it.
I highly recommend this book to anyone who loves to write, loves to read, or loves thinking about people in an analytical way.

Awesome awesome awesome. ( )
  Esquiress | Mar 16, 2010 |

From the winner of the Michael L. Printz Award and the Carnegie Medal, a work of astonishing intimacy and depth

Using a pillow book as her form, nineteen-year-old Cordelia Kenn sets out to write out her life for her unborn daughter. What emerges is a portrait of an extraordinary girl, who writes frankly of love, sex, poetry, nature, faith, and of herself in the world. Her thoughts range widely: on Shakespeare and breasts, periods and piano playing, friendship and trees, consciousness and sleep, and much more besides. As she writes of William Blacklin, the boy she chooses as her first lover, or Julie, the teacher who encourages her spiritual life, Cordelia maddens, fascinates, and ultimately seduces the reader. This is a character never to be forgotten from a writer at the height of his powers.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:47 -0400)

Cordelia Kenn recounts her life from age fifteen to twenty in a series of formats, such as letters, diaries, poems, and short stories, to be read in the future by her daughter.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,730,822 books! | Top bar: Always visible