The Wild Rose by Jennifer Donnelly

The Wild Rose (2011)

by Jennifer Donnelly

Series: Rose (3)

English (26)  German (2)  All (28)
I didn't find this #3 book in the series quite as gripping as #2, The Winter Rose. And I've yet to read the #1 book in the series. I'm just a rebel about the order of things sometimes. On the up side, it's a lovely story with solid character stories and continuation of the plot from #2. Just as well-written and well done. ( )
  TheBibliophage | Mar 20, 2018 |
Book 3 of the Trilogy. The Finnegan's story continues with Fiona and Joe back in London - Joe becoming an MP fighting on the rights of the poor; We get to know Fiona's little brother Shamus, all grown up and Willa Alden. The War with Germany breaks out. Espionage is within the circle of trusted friends and family. A lot goes on in this book to keep you guessing; but it comes down to being a love story, of course. I enjoyed it, getting to know all the family members and new cast of characters but what I really did not enjoy is the disregard for Jenny for a happy ending at the expense of innocents. Sorry to see the end but ready to move on to something else!. ( )
  booklovers2 | Nov 29, 2016 |
I hate to say it, but I couldn't bring myself to fall in love with this as I had with The Tea Rose and The Winter Rode. Fiona and India's were told so delicately, but it wasn't as easy to love Willa. There were so many characters, and I had grown tired of the same plot line with star-crossed lovers. Three-quarters of the way through, I read the epilogue and decided that I couldn't bring myself to finish this trilogy the way it deserved. While I gave the first two 4 stars, The Wild Rose only received 3. ( )
  cemagoc | Aug 8, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Although I wasn’t too keen on the first two books in this trilogy—The Tea Rose and The Winter Rose—I picked this one up hoping my mind had changed. Each book in the story offers a different perspective on one family at the turn of the century; this book begins just before WWI and focuses on Seamie and Willa. I think the story is meant to be fast-paced and give the reader a good overview of early 20th century history, but the story lines were so unrealistic and predictable that I had a hard time finishing the book. There were so many characters and coincidences that the book got pretty convoluted after a while. The characters’ dialogue also didn’t seem era-appropriate. This might be a good book if you’re looking for a period romance, but be prepared to suspend disbelief at the plot and characters. ( )
  Kasthu | Jan 7, 2015 |
In this last book of the Rose trilogy, Donnelly doesn't disappoint. Along with sharing more news on the characters we grew to love in books 1 and 2, she embellishes on the lives of Willa and Seamus. These star-crossed lovers from book 2 find more than they'd bargained for when their paths cross once more in "The Wild Rose." When World War I breaks out, we're treated to scandal, spies, murder, and adventures that leave readers on the edge of their seats. "The Wild Rose" is a final tribute to the Finnegan family, and weaves all the pieces from the series into one satisfying conclusion. ( )
  ShouldIReadIt | Sep 26, 2014 |
It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves. - Sir Edmund Hillary
For Simon Lipskar and Maja Nikolic
Did all English girls make love like a man? Or was it only this one?
This is the third story in the series. Its prequels are Tea Rose and Winter Rose.

In 1914, with World War I approaching, polar explorer Seamus Finnegan tries to forget Willa, a passionate mountain climber, as he marries a beautiful young woman back home in England.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Jennifer Donnelly's book The Wild Rose was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Hyperion and Voice

An edition of this book was published by Hyperion and Voice.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,422,016 books! | Top bar: Always visible