Foreigner by C. J. Cherryh

Foreigner

by C. J. Cherryh

Series: Foreigner (1)

1,796515,624 (3.95)2 / 343
    Invader by C. J. Cherryh (reading_fox)
    reading_fox: Obvious really, it's the sequel.
    Ancillary Justice (Imperial Radch) by Ann Leckie (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: Leckie has said that Cherryh's Foreigner books were a big influence on Ancillary Justice and sequels
    Embassytown by China Miéville (electronicmemory)
    Ambassador 1: Seeing Red by Patty Jansen (Jarandel)
    Jarandel: Ambassadors to aliens
    The Course of Empire by Eric Flint (Jarandel)
    Jarandel: Diplomats exploring alien mindsets.
    Blindsight by Peter Watts (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Two books that push the boundaries on our understanding of what constitutes alien cultures and intelligences.
    Barrayar by Lois McMaster Bujold (reading_fox)
    reading_fox: Both character driven social SF rather than technologically focused.

Well-written but could have used editing. The first two chapters do nothing but delay the story proper and misrepresent the eventual pace and plot; jettison them. The novel then unfolds rather slowly--I felt it could have been cinched in easily by a third if not half--and features one of the most passive protagonists I have yet encountered.

I'll see what book #2 holds ... hopefully the author will have learned from her earlier endeavour. ( )
  ashleytylerjohn | Sep 19, 2018 |
This was a fantastic (albeit surprising) science fiction novel. Generally I'm not a fan of the whole new worlds, alien creatures type of scifi-a lot of times I feel inundated with extraneous technical information, which bores me, frankly. However, Cherryh has done an outstanding job of creating a believable "new" world, while keeping the techy stuff to a minimum. What I loved most, apart from her created language, was the obvious tension and conflict felt between the atevi and human races. Bren Cameron, a sort of human diplomat to the atevi race, simply CANNOT make himself understood and in turn has an impossible time coming to terms with the motivations of this alien race. It was an incredibly fascinating read, and I can't wait to continue the trilogy (story arc? here's another reason I don't normally like books like this-it branches off into different story arcs and simply confuses me). ( )
  gossamerchild88 | Mar 30, 2018 |
There is a great book in here somewhere but honestly I thought the book could have been half as long. The narrator was a little repetitive. I found myself wishing e story would move forward. I loved the ending and wished the whole book had been paced that way. Might give the second book a shot but I haven't decided. ( )
  CSDaley | Mar 28, 2018 |
At another time, maybe I would have enjoyed this more, but the truth is that it just didn't quite keep my attention, to the extent that I really ended up losing track of the plot. Since the focus was placed on plot more so than character, that essentially led to my having a harder and harder time keeping track of the narrative and remaining interested. There were spots where it sucked me in, but I have to admit I didn't particularly enjoy this. ( )
  whitewavedarling | Mar 25, 2018 |
I really liked this but I'm not surprised as I'm a Cherryh fan (Downbelow Station is a favorite of mine). It did take me a bit to get into the atevi words and read them in seamless flow but I liked the challenge. I think it helped give me an appreciation of the characters and setting as they were still trying to get to know one another and relate. It made for a slower go initially but I liked the story and definitely intend on continuing with the series. ( )
  anissaannalise | Feb 28, 2018 |

Cherryh, C. J.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Long, MilesCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
May, Daniel ThomasNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It was the deep dark, unexplored except for robotic visitors.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0756402514, Mass Market Paperback)

The first book in C.J.Cherryh's eponymous series, Foreigner begins an epic tale of the survivors of a lost spacecraft who crash-land on a planet inhabited by a hostile, sentient alien race.  From its beginnings as a human-alien story of first contact, the Foreigner series has become a true science fiction odyssey, following a civilization from the age of steam through early space flight to confrontations with other alien species in distant sectors of space. It is the masterwork of a truly remarkable author.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:51 -0400)

The groundbreaking novel that launched Cherryh's epic series on first contact and its consequences is back in this special anniversary edition featuring a brand-new introduction by the author.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,982,998 books! | Top bar: Always visible