Ultraviolet (Puffin Fiction) by Lesley…

Ultraviolet (Puffin Fiction)

by Lesley Howarth

OK, so reading the blurb made this book sound quite exciting 'How was anyone to know that one day the sun would just burn up their lives?' ect ect.. Basically, there's too much radiation to go outside but violet Niles is a slightly adventurous teen who breaks all the rules and goes outside!
The setting of this book is very imaginative. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with a bit of imagination but it was so confusing and unrealistic (as were most of the aspects of this book) that I ended up reading a lot of pages twice.
I don't think I got this book at all, it took me forever to read and I still don't think I know the whole storyline.
It was very confusing how the storyline would go slowly for long periods of time and then everything would go so fast.
I never really connected to the characters because the background of them wasn't very detailed. I don't mean to be offensive but I'm not in any rush to read any more of her books. The only good point was the futuristic world she was living in. It's a unique and interesting thought that the world one day in hundreds of years might be similar.
Overall, I wouldn't recommend this book. ( )
  kathy_chiff | Sep 29, 2013 |
The ozone layer is disappearing, causing exposure to the sun to be too dangerous for at least nine months of the year, nothing will grow, land has become desert and people stay indoors or travel through tunnels. Most interact through virtual computer games. Yet there are people who want the choice of being able to live outside and will risk their lives to achieve this, becoming "Leakers".

There is also BluShield which would enable gardens to grow, helping alleviate the food shortages. It would allow people protection from the ever increasing radiation, if it was available. Unfortunately BluShield is not, except for the very fortunate few.

Violet Niles is a rebellious teenager. Trying to live with the breakdown of normal life due to alcoholism, divorce, work and Questing. She also has an unhealthy desire to be outside for as long as she wants, not just for the three months starting from Winter Solstice or "Solly".

The book was easy to read although my complete understanding took a little longer due to the disjointed nature of the story telling. Not having read the author before I realise it could be a personal writing trait, but, I think it had more to do with the depiction of the blending of reality with the virtual, not knowing where one ends and the other begins. If this is the case then the whole experience of reading the story falls into place and is a good writing ploy.

I enjoyed it though I didn't really like the characters very much and there didn't seem to be enough background. The characters seemed somewhat lifeless and more could have been done to give them personalities. Overall though, the plot was sound and I'd recommend this to perhaps ages 12 or 13 plus. ( )
  JacInABook | Jul 11, 2010 |

Radiation has made it impossible to go outside for eight months of the year. Alternative strategies for living and growing food have been adopted, and houses and towns are linked by undergound tunnels. Teenagers create an imaginative 'outdoors' via computers and some only meet in cyberspace. Some long to reclaim the outside world despite the dangers of radiation, and of being caught and kept indoors under a confining order. Violet is chief of the rebels and creates the avidly read 'horrorscopes'. She has an uncanny ability to catch glimpses of the future, but even she is unprepared for what happens when a little group visits the Undercliff, whose shade shelters the only real wild place left.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:09 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,425,103 books! | Top bar: Always visible