: RIME OF THE ANCIENT MARINER by Coleridge:

: RIME OF THE ANCIENT MARINER (original 1798; edition 1994)

by Coleridge:

Member:Virion
Title:: RIME OF THE ANCIENT MARINER
Authors:Coleridge:
Info:FOLIO SOCIETY (1994), Edition: First Edition Thus, Hardcover, 50 pages

The Rime of the Ancient Mariner by Samuel Taylor Coleridge (1798)

English (24)  Dutch (1)  All languages (25)
Already having an edition of The Rime of the Ancient Mariner illustrated by Gustave Doré, I bought this one for the illustrations by my favourite book illustrator, Mervyn Peake.

Where Doré beautifully catches the gothic mood of Coleridge's verse, Peake catches the macabre, tenebrous quality of the Mariner's feverish nightmare. In her introduction, Marina Warner tells of how Peake's commissioning editor found his illustration of the Night-mare Life-in-Death too horrifying for its intended 1940s British readership and her portrait was dropped from the first edition, though much reprinted since and included here.

Much as I love Peake's work, I wish for an edition printed on better quality paper to present them in the fashion they deserve.

As for the poem, what can I say that hasn't been said before and more eloquently? ( )
  Michael.Rimmer | Aug 13, 2016 |
need to upload corretc cover
  jkdavies | Jun 14, 2016 |
Beautiful illustrations accompany this re-telling of Coleridge's classic poem. The large pages, white space and column notes make this more accessible to a younger audience, although, sometimes the column notes are as complicated as the 1800's text of the ballad. ( )
  GReader28 | Feb 21, 2016 |
1898 edition
  billheath | Jul 24, 2015 |
Omg! Awesome, awesome, amazingly awesome. I wish all poetry were like this.

Read this (grab a good dictionary), then recite this, and then go listen to the Iron Maiden's song based on it with a new appreciation (or for the first time if you haven't before) and sing and cry along while you do it, then rejoice and go to sleep(exactly what I did, but I guess there is no need to go to sleep afterwards, well not immediately at least :P).

http://youtu.be/D0Ayu_Y1DKE ---> Iron Song.

It is such an amazing story, such a beautiful metre, and the imagery so goddam evocative. From the start, even before the Wedding Guest you are enthralled by the Mariner's tale...

He holds him with his glittering eye —
The Wedding–Guest stood still,
And listens like a three years child:
The Mariner hath his will.

...for while he was entranced by the 'glittering eye' I was caught at

"It is an ancient Mariner,
And he stoppeth one of three."
-I guess that that was me - ----> Haha! I can rime! Was it good?

It is epic, creepy, even terrifying at times, during most of it you feel like you are reading at the edge of your sit and by the end your sigh of relief is akin to that which you would make after a scary movie, a roller coaster ride or an episode of 'the shield'(lol, no idea why I brought 'the shield' into it), What I really mean to say is that it is breathtaking, heartbreaking, awe inspiring, and terrifying.

Nowadays, or even better since then, our world culture has been riddled with references to it, not only in poetry, - for example Brazilian Poet Castro Alves’ Epic 1869 Poem ‘O Navio Negreiro’ (which I must point out, is also great)drank heavily from it – but across all other media from Frankenstein to Iron Maiden, Silent Hill, Watchman and Firefly it is really everywhere.

Surely, there are many ways to interpret this work; the one I particularly favor is one of the less metaphysical ones (in comparison to the others I can think of), it is about humankind turning against Nature and the consequences thereof. In this sense, we have the Albatross representing the Natural World and the Mariner Humankind. As soon as the Mariner turns himself against Nature, so Nature turns itself against the Mariner, we are shown that by a series of natural events that illustrate the curse, the wind stopping, the ocean becoming corrupted, the heat of the sun becoming more unbearable and so forth. These things will only recede when the Mariner makes peace with ‘The Natural’ therefore starting the process that culminates with the curse being lifted. It makes for a very interesting, and nowadays ever more relevant, cautionary tale about the dangers of screwing with Mother Nature, I guess it also makes Coleridge one of the first advocates for the environment that I have notice :P

Lastly, I must not forget to mention Gustave Dore's illustrations, terrific is the most apt word to describe them, for they are at the same time beautiful and frightening. I count myself lucky that I was already acquainted with his work, on the account that Lovecraft, who greatly admired it, mentions it more than once. In the Father of Horror's own words:

“I began to have nightmares of the most hideous description, peopled with things which I called ‘night-gaunts’—a compound word of my own coinage. I used to draw them after waking (perhaps the idea of these figures came from an edition de luxe of Paradise Lost with illustrations by Doré, which I discovered one day in the east parlour).” H.P. Lovecraft

So, do yourself another favor and grab an edition with Dore's Illustrations!

Good fun!

Lowes, John LivingstonIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rooney, AnneIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Warner, MarinaIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It is an ancient Mariner,
And he stoppeth one of three.
Do not combine with abridged editions such as Phoenix 60p etc.

Doré's engravings for The Rime are considered by many to be his greatest work. The terrifying space of the open sea, the storms and whirlpools of an unknown ocean, the hot equatorial seas swarming with monsters, the ice of Antarctica, more — are all rendered in a powerful manner. Full text and 38 plates.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:15 -0400)

Coleridge's 'The Rime of the Ancient Mariner' has never been out of print. This edition comes with the renowned Dore illustrations and an introduction from English literature scholar Anne Rooney.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,325,525 books! | Top bar: Always visible