Raphael and the Noble Task by Catherine…

Raphael and the Noble Task

by Catherine Salton

273402,159 (4)1

Cute and weird. It reminds me of St. Patrick's Gargoyle, and makes me want to read Pillars of the Earth - which has been recommended and now I have a copy. Living gargoyles are fun, I want to read about the real thing... ( )
  jjmcgaffey | May 16, 2008 |
I had to buy this children's book which opens with a quote from Julian of Norwich! Raphael and the Noble Task is set among the gargoyles, chimere's, effigies, and other inhabitants of a great cathedral. Raphael is a dragon chimere who finds himself searching for a noble task. Most chimeres are satisfied with their tasks of protection but Raphael yearns for more. He feels his motives are muddled but he seeks aid from his coworkers and those who are aware of history and the writings.

A series of events lead Raphael to decide that caring for an abandoned infant is his "Noble Deed". Accepting his calling, the other creatures work to help him feed, clean, and care for the baby. This is a calling, as most mothers will tell you, but a greater deed is asked of Raphael when he must fly from the castle to right a great wrong. As Raphael plummets towards the ground from the roof of the cathedral, he puts all his faith in "doing right".

The illustrations by David Weitzman incorporate glorious realistic details and fanciful imaginings. They double the pleasure of this book.

I've recommended this book to a wide swathe of people I know from child to adult from student to seminary student but I'm keeping this copy for myself.
  sara_k | Oct 4, 2007 |
Saga om schimären Raphael som räddar ett hittebarn och får hjälp av möss, duvor och andra statyer i den katedral han vaktar. Trevligt och en annorlunda berättelse. ( )
  moia | Apr 18, 2006 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0060196750, Hardcover)

Raphael is a griffin, one of the ferocious stone creatures sworn to guard the Cathedral from harm. Yet Raphael feels a mysterious longing for something more -- a Noble Task, one that will bring meaning to his life.

When a baby is abandoned at the Cathedral door, Raphael believes he's found his Noble Task at last. But Raphael soon learns that caring for the child brings danger and sacrifice as well as love. And when the baby's mother returns, only to find that her child is missing, Raphael must set things right by performing an act of enormous courage: an act that depends not only on a legend kept secret for generations but that will demand of him all of his heart and soul to prevail.

More than twenty illustrations bring the characters of the Cathedral to life in this unforgettable adventure, destined to be cherished as an enduring Christmas classic.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:12 -0400)

Raphael, a griffin who guards the entrance to a cathedral, yearns to do something that will bring meaning to his life. He gets his chance when he begins caring for a baby that has been left at the cathedral door. When the child's mother returns, Raphael must set things right.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,589,404 books! | Top bar: Always visible