The Cello Suites: J. S. Bach, Pablo Casals,…

The Cello Suites: J. S. Bach, Pablo Casals, and the Search for a Baroque… (2009)

by Eric Siblin

English (14)  Catalan (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (16)
A fascinating look at the Bach cello suites from 3 vantage points: Bach's life, cellist Pablo Casal's life, and the author's life. Provides a contemporary view of Bach's cello suites which I found positively delightful!
  ccatalfo | Oct 15, 2018 |
This book is partly a biography of Bach and Pablo Cassals, and partly a musical history. I really enjoyed the biographical aspects. The author was able to portray Bach and Cassals with depth and as more than brilliant musicians. I also enjoyed the story of the author's own discovery of the cello suites and his attempts to better understand them by taking cello lessons and joining a Bach choir.

Like others, I found the structure (which mirrors the cello suites) a bit forced at times -- it necessitated some repetition and was, at times, disjointed.

All in all, I enjoyed it more than I thought I would as I'm not a classical music fan. ( )
  LynnB | Jan 6, 2015 |
A little boring. ( )
1 vote mahallett | Apr 13, 2014 |
Utterly fascinating. I will be reading it again and again. ( )
  SunUp | Nov 10, 2013 |
The author presents the lives of J.S. Bach and Pablo Casals, as well as the progess of his own research regarding the Cello Suites, following the same structure as the suites. I had never heard the suites before reading the book, but I ran to the music store to buy a cd before I had finished reading it. It is informative and entertaining at the same time. A very good read for anyone who likes classical mucis. ( )
  Montarville | Feb 21, 2012 |
To my parents, Herbert and Jacqueline Siblin
The first measures unfold with the storytelling power of a master improviser.

Introduces Johann Sebastian Bach's "Cello Suites," discussing how the composition was lost in the eighteenth century and discovered by Pablo Casals in the late nineteenth century, and some of the historical questions remaining about the piece.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,653,918 books! | Top bar: Always visible