Intimate Death: How the Dying Teach Us How…

Intimate Death: How the Dying Teach Us How to Live

by Marie de Hennezel

An egotistical perspective on how to be humble. Interesting read with some good ideas, but not written in an enticing manner. Very choppy and hard to follow the thought pattern. ( )
  girlwithafacee | Feb 11, 2013 |

How do we learn to die? Most of us spend our lives avoiding that question, but this luminous book--a major best-seller in France--answers it with a directness and eloquence that are nothing less than transforming. As a psychologist in a hospital for the terminally ill in Paris, Marie de Hennezel has spent seven years tending to people who are relinquishing their hold on life. She tells the stories of her patients and their families. de Hennezel teaches us how to turn death--our loved ones' or our own--from something lonely and agonizing into a sacred passage. She discusses the importance of an honest reckoning, the value of ritual, the necessity of touch. In imparting these lessons, Intimate Death becomes a guide to living more fully, more intensely, than we had thought possible.

"Unique...Of all the books I have read about the endings of our lives, this elegiac testimony has taught me the most."--Sherwin B. Nuland, M.D., author of How We Die

"The quiet, obvious truths [de Hennezel] discovers in her work--these things have a kind of cumulative power."--Washington Post Book World

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:41 -0400)

Psychologist Marie de Hennezel draws upon her experiences working with the terminally ill in a palliative care unit in Paris. Her encounters with people at the end of their life gives her a perspective on what life and death really mean, and her message is that of celebrating the power and tenacity of the human spirit.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,487,489 books! | Top bar: Always visible