The Baker Street Letters by Michael…

The Baker Street Letters (edition 2011)

by Michael Robertson

Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Mystery

The Baker Street Letters by Michael Robertson

Excellent debut novel. Has that "British quality"-- reserved characters, proper and all, with wry senses of humor and irony, well mannered, polite and quite bemused by American culture, but not in a negative way.

Pace was taut, the plot moved swiftly through the myriad characters, but all were so distinct as to not become jumbled in this reader's mind. Left the door open to a sequel, which I understand will happen. (has happened?) ( )
  ChrisNorbury | Apr 17, 2014 |
As a first in a series this is pretty good. Reggie lives in London and has just moved his offices to the 200 Block of Baker Street, 2nd floor. Reggie's brother Nigel has been hired as his clerk while he sits out a period before trying to regain his license to practice law. When Nigel reveals to Reggie that part of the lease is to use a form to respond to all mail addressed Sherlock Holmes Reggie thinks he is joking. But, it is true and Nigel has gotten worried about a couple of letters that have recently arrived, following up on a 20 year old letter written by an eight-year-old girl from California.

What follows is a puzzle, a lot of chasing around and some soul searching for Reggie.

I did figure out the "why" of the mystery but the who was a complete surprise. I was a little surprised at the abrupt ending back in London but just put that down to a first novel. I'll be reading more in this series, I loved the characters. ( )
  bookswoman | Mar 8, 2014 |
Quick read, fun! 8 year old writes a letter to Sherlock Holmes - 20 years later it is found by the new lessee of the property at Baker Street. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
After reading the jacket blurb, I was really looking forward to reading this book. Unfortunately, although the premise is lovely, the book itself just didn't live up to my expectations, for a couple of reasons. I almost gave up twice, but decided to finish because it isn't really that long, and I dislike leaving books unfinished.

First, the "Englishness" of the main characters just isn't really that obvious. You wouldn't be able to tell from most of the dialogue or actions that they are English - with the exception of the times when the character beats you over the head with it. E.g., "oy, I'm English, so I don't understand you. And I say 'bloody' three times in a paragraph, because I'm English, dontcha know."

Second, is that the principal character's internal dialogue and development seemed a bit forced to me. The sudden epiphany that he reaches towards the end is totally unexpected and is more of the author wrapping up loose ends than it is a natural character progression.

In a more general sense, I prefer characters to tell less and show more. Except in very rare cases, I don't enjoy dialogue that is ostensibly part of a conversation but is written like narration. It just didn't work here.

I might skim the second book, but unless the writing is much better, I won't be reading it. ( )
  liz.mabry | Sep 11, 2013 |
Fun premise for any of us who enjoy every single "Sherlock" based tale.
Brothers in law - that is 2 brothers - one who is officer of the court and one who was and is now awaiting reinstatement - hmmm.....
lease office at 221B Baker Street, London.
(I HAD to go visit that address, myself when I was nearby. How could I not????)
They receive letters addressed to Holmes and feel compelled to be helpful. Of course, that leads to all sorts of mystery and adventure.
I'll be looking forward to the subsequent books in the series. ( )
  CasaBooks | Apr 28, 2013 |
He only wanted just one cigarette.  (Prologue)
"Why are you staring at me that way?"

First in a spectacular new series about two brother lawyers who lease offices on London’s Baker Street--and begin receiving mail addressed to Sherlock Holmes

That letter creates an uproar at 221b Baker Street, which now houses the law offices of attorney and man about town Reggie Heath and his hapless brother, Nigel. Instead of filing the letter like he’s supposed to, Nigel decides to investigate. Soon he’s flying off to Los Angeles, inconsiderately leaving a very dead body on the floor in his office. Big brother Reggie follows Nigel to California, as does Reggie’s sometime lover, Laura---a quick-witted stage actress who’s captured the hearts of both brothers.

When Nigel is arrested, Reggie must use all his wits to solve a case that Sherlock Holmes would have savored and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle fans will adore.

[retrieved 2/16/2014 from Amazon.com]

In Los Angeles, a geological surveyor maps out a proposed subway route--and then goes missing. His eight-year-old daughter, in her desperation, turns to the one person she thinks might help--she writes a letter to Sherlock Holmes.--From publisher's description.… (more)

41 wanted2 pay5 pay

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,776,862 books! | Top bar: Always visible