The Baker Street Letters by Michael…

The Baker Street Letters (edition 2011)

by Michael Robertson

Tags:Mystery

The Baker Street Letters by Michael Robertson

The Baker Street Letters: A Mystery - Michael Robertson
Audio performance by Simon Vance - 3 stars

This is the first book in a series about the brothers Heath. Elder Brother, Reggie, is a successful London barrister. His younger brother, Nigel…. not so much. Nigel has issues, but surely he can handle the simple task of sending out form letters to the poor deluded people who write letters to the fictional Sherlock Holmes; letters which are delivered to their upscale London offices at 221 ½ Baker Street. There’s a 20 year-old letter from an 8 year-old Chicana in Los Angeles. It’s in the files. There are new letters requesting the return of the old, childish letter. There’s a murder. False charges, false arrests, flights to Los Angeles, smog and traffic jams.

This was fun. It was not wonderful writing. It was not even a wonderful narration. ( I love you, Simon Vance, but truly, you need to work on your Mexican American accent. The girl sounded Russian. Practice these words: quinceanera, queso, quesadilla, quien. It did make me laugh.) However, this is where I live. I enjoyed the local atmosphere, even though I questioned how anyone could be so stupid as to continually take cabs for multiple trips from the L.A to San Fernando to Pasadena and points beyond.

The whole plot was about transportation problems in the greater Los Angeles area (Tell me about it.) and the construction of our less than adequate subway system. I remember the subway tunnel fires of the early ‘90’s. Who knew it was related to a great real estate fraud and multiple murders? ( )
  msjudy | Jul 9, 2016 |
  GeetuM | Jun 3, 2016 |
fun, easy read; ending VERY clearly sets up for another book (or a whole series) ( )
  GeetuM | Jun 3, 2016 |
Too may characters and way too contrived. I'm a little bit interested in what happens to the brothers but not enough to buy the next book!
  cygnet81 | Jan 17, 2016 |
Too many little things made me annoyed with the text. One character got all the thinking parts, and the others feel pretty wooden. I like the premise, but it seems to be venturing far from its roots with little foundation to stand on--I didn't know I was getting into a political SoCal enviro-commentary (well, not really, but would've been more interesting if more in depth with that topic). The villain was a surprise, but I just wasn't getting excited about Reggie's thought process. Although his humor was pretty funny. ( )
  MargaretPinardAuthor | May 23, 2015 |
He only wanted just one cigarette.  (Prologue)
"Why are you staring at me that way?"

First in a spectacular new series about two brother lawyers who lease offices on London’s Baker Street--and begin receiving mail addressed to Sherlock Holmes

That letter creates an uproar at 221b Baker Street, which now houses the law offices of attorney and man about town Reggie Heath and his hapless brother, Nigel. Instead of filing the letter like he’s supposed to, Nigel decides to investigate. Soon he’s flying off to Los Angeles, inconsiderately leaving a very dead body on the floor in his office. Big brother Reggie follows Nigel to California, as does Reggie’s sometime lover, Laura---a quick-witted stage actress who’s captured the hearts of both brothers.

When Nigel is arrested, Reggie must use all his wits to solve a case that Sherlock Holmes would have savored and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle fans will adore.

[retrieved 2/16/2014 from Amazon.com]

In Los Angeles, a geological surveyor maps out a proposed subway route--and then goes missing. His eight-year-old daughter, in her desperation, turns to the one person she thinks might help--she writes a letter to Sherlock Holmes.--From publisher's description.… (more)

11 wanted2 pay5 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,725,507 books! | Top bar: Always visible