Cowboys Don't Quit by Anne McAllister
193537,190 (4.33)None

Luke Tanner has been in self-exile ever since Keith Mallory died. Luke met Keith on the set of a movie and before he knew what was happening he was working as Keith's stunt double. After an accident while shooting a movie Luke hides himself away from the spotlight. This story has a lot of great supporting characters that I loved learning about. Luke gets his happily ever after but what he goes through to get there is well worth reading I enjoyed this book very much and highly recommend it. ( )
  LindaHenderson | Sep 12, 2016 |
"Cowboys Don't Quit" by Anne McAllister is book two in the "Tanner Brothers" series. This is Luke Tanner and Jillian Crane's story.

Tanner lost his best friend when a Hollywood stunt went terrible wrong. He has gone into hiding because he feels it was his fault.

Jillian tracks down Tanner, who was her late fiance's best friend. She wants to convince him that it wasn't his fault and that he needs to start living again. Jillian is the last person that Tanner wants to see. As they spend time together Jillian is shocked at the feelings that they have for each other. Will Tanner allow the past and his feelings of guilt to prevent them from finding true love?

This is a story of two people who suffered a terrible loss and found something that they never thought they would ever find. Another great story by Anne McAllister.

I received a copy of this book from Tule publishing for an honest review. ( )
  booksnuggle | May 31, 2016 |
Romance novels are ... well ... let's face it. Fluff. We read them because we want a formula of boy-meets-girl, not-too-insurmountable difficulties, and then a happy ending where the girl gets the boy. On the way, hopefully the author will teach us something and make us fall in love along with the characters. This was one of the ones that met those goals.

Luke Tanner is poignant as the cowboy-turned-stunt double-turned-cowboy who retreats back into his original trade after the tragic death of his best friend after the friend died after insisting on doing his own stunt. Not only mourning his friends death, but also to escape unresolved feelings for his deceased best friends grieving fiance, Luke turns back to the hard, solitary life of a cowboy to find peace. When his best friends fiance suddenly shows up two years later to interview him for a memoir about their mutual movie actor/friend, old wounds are suddenly reopened.

Unlike most romance novels, this one was written entirely from the viewpoint of the hero. We get to inhabit Luke's head as he keeps pushing Jillian away despite his resurging feelings for her and realize he isn't doing so simply to be a jerk. His guilt over not talking his friend over doing the stunt the day he died and the fact he had always possessed feelings for the woman now at his doorstep feel palpable and genuine, not contrived.

Especially realistic was the authors descriptions of the daily duties of a cowboy. No glamor here. Just lots of hard, repetitive, lonely, dangerous work. I know little about the real life of a cowboy, but the job description felt gritty and real, not some watered-down romantic version of what it meant to be a cowboy. I learned something.

Keeping in mind a 5-star rating for a formula romance novel isn't the same thing as, say, 5-stars for Charles Dickens, I would say put this one on your reading list. You'll feel good at the end. ( )
  Anna_Erishkigal | Mar 30, 2013 |

"Once upon a time Luke Tanner had it all. Well, almost all. Then a Hollywood stunt gone wrong stole his best friend and Luke knows it was all his fault. He could have stopped it, should have stopped it. Jillian Crane doesn't agree. When she tracks her late fianc‚e's best friend to his Colorado mountain hideaway, she is determined to make Luke start living again. She doesn't know she's the last person on earth Luke wants to see. And she certainly doesn't anticipate the feelings she develops for Luke -- nor realize how deep Luke's are for her" -- Amazon.com.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,485,688 books! | Top bar: Always visible