Pact by Jodi Picoult

Pact (original 1998; edition 2005)

by Jodi Picoult

Member:LavendarBlue
Title:Pact
Authors:Jodi Picoult
Info:Hodder & Stoughton General Division (2005), Paperback, 528 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Tags:Teenage pact suicide. Great read but a bit depressing.

The Pact by Jodi Picoult (1998)

Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah (marcejewels)
    marcejewels: Similar style of writing regarding chapters etc. The friendship is between 2 girls.
    Circle of Friends by Maeve Binchy (jbvm)
    Blue Diary by Alice Hoffman (jbvm)
    A Map of the World by Jane Hamilton (ainsleytewce)

Too many unbelievable events to make it better than 3 stars, yet the writer's skills made it an engrossing, highly readable novel, which, if one is willing to suspend common sense and logic with the content and its presentation, this can be highly entertaining. I would consider reading another work from this author in the hopes that it might contain the excellent prose without the constant thinking "This couldn't happen" inherent in The Pact ( )
  brucemmoyer | Apr 26, 2015 |
The first Jodi Picoult book that i have read. Loved it. ( )
  DeanClark | Mar 26, 2015 |
A beautifully written but very sad love story. Friends since birth, two teenagers destined to marry bonded together in a suicide pact that changes the lives of family and friends forever. The questions raised in my mind during and after reading the book are still plaguing me. Wow! The book could have been a superb read had the author given more insight into Emily's secret, among other things. The loose ends is what kept me from giving it a 5 star rating. It is, however, a very good read that I would highly recommend. ( )
  Feleciak | Mar 25, 2015 |
5 Stars, I know what your thinking: She must not read that much because I can tell 5 stars are very valued on this website. I absolutely loved this book. This was one of those books that I physically could not put down, I finished it in 2 days which for me was a pretty big deal because I do not on any terms consider myself an avid reader. This as any Jodi picot book involves a lawsuit, which is sometimes hard to relate to. This time it involved juniors in high school which was definitely a reason it appealed to me, a high school junior. Also I loved the characters, Chris mainly. In addition the ambiguity about the night in question is a theme throughout the book that is so alluring for some reason. You just want, nay need to keep on reading to see what actually happened and hope to god that Chris, my favorite, is not to be incriminated for it. Also the ending just makes you want to be a part of this tragic love story. ( )
  Mollyb123456 | Jan 22, 2015 |
This book may be just what you’re looking for if you’d like to immerse yourself for a while in the family problems of people you don’t necessarily like in the first place. Picoult is very adept at this. I don’t know why I keep doing it to myself, really — Anita Shreve does the same — except I’m pretty sure there’s going to be a reveal at the end of this one, and I have to find out what it is, even though my second-hand dog-ear-bookmarked version shows the original owner only got to about 100 pages before abandoning it. (I like to use other people’s dog ears as personal challenges. Spices life up a bit.)

The Pact was published some time ago now and either it’s dated a bit or I’ve become a bit more attuned to the world and its problems. Specifically, here are some uncomfortably… conservative?… ideas which come up in the book but remain unchallenged by the story itself:

1. That if a man loves a woman, really loves her, then he wouldn’t kill her.
2. That if a woman has had sex with a man before, then it’s not going to be rape if he has sex with her again (which is indeed still true in the opinions of many jurors, granted)
3. That in order to commit suicide you must be depressed. (Not true — some suicides are actually impulsive and come down to life circumstance.)
4. That thinking you’ve moved in next door to a gay couple is reason enough to wonder ‘What sort of neighbourhood have we moved into?’

This, and the nature of the story, mean that it’s not really escapist for anyone who already knows bad things are happening (especially to women) in the real world, but Picoult knows how to spin a good yarn. Except by about page 300 I was beginning to lose interest. I’m no fan of courtroom drama, as it happens. So by the end of the book I had no real interest in the verdict. I do feel this book should have been more condensed. I wasn’t interested in the private life of the lawyer, so would have preferred that subplot to have been omitted. Then again, someone had to deliver the speech at the end, the one explaining the book’s theme about truth, and so I suppose it was felt that the reader would want to know a little something about the person delivering it. ( )
  LynleyS | Oct 25, 2014 |
Who ever loved that loved not at first signt?
--CHRISTOPHER MARLOWE
Hero and Leander
Let us embrace, and from this very moment vow an eternal miserY together.
--THOMAS OTWAY
The Orphan
This one's for my brother, Jon,
who knows the cost of the Space Toilet, the spelling of Tetris, and the way to fnd a chapter accidentally lost in the bowels of my computer.
I hope you also know how terrific I think you are.
There was nothing left to say.

For eighteen years the Hartes and the Golds have lived next door to each other, sharing everything from Chinese food to chicken pox to carpool duty-- they've grown so close it seems they have always been a part of each other's lives. Parents and children alike have been best friends, so it's no surprise that in high school Chris and Emily's friendship blossoms into something more. They've been soul mates since they were born.

So when midnight calls from the hospital come in, no one is ready for the appalling truth: Emily is dead at seventeen from a gunshot wound to the head. There's a single unspent bullet in the gun that Chris took from his father's cabinet-- a bullet that Chris tells police he intended for himself. But a local detective has doubts about the suicide pact that Chris has described.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061150142, Mass Market Paperback)

Until the phone calls came at three o'clock on a November morning, the Golds and their neighbors, the Hartes, had been inseparable. It was no surprise to anyone when their teenage children, Chris and Emily, began showing signs that their relationship was moving beyond that of lifelong friends. But now seventeen-year-old Emily is dead—shot with a gun her beloved and devoted Chris pilfered from his father's cabinet as part of an apparent suicide pact—leaving two devastated families stranded in the dark and dense predawn, desperate for answers about an unthinkable act and the children they never really knew.

From New York Times bestselling author Jodi Picoult—one of the most powerful writers in contemporary fiction—comes a riveting, timely, heartbreaking, and terrifying novel of families in anguish and friendships ripped apart by inconceivable violence.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:27:00 -0400)

A teenage suicide pact between a pregnant girl and her boyfriend, both children of wealthy New England families. He shoots her, but fails to shoot himself and is charged with murder. At the trial he explains what made them do it.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,297,120 books! | Top bar: Always visible