Pact by Jodi Picoult

Pact (original 1998; edition 2005)

by Jodi Picoult

Member:LavendarBlue
Title:Pact
Authors:Jodi Picoult
Info:
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Tags:Teenage pact suicide. Great read but a bit depressing.

The Pact by Jodi Picoult (1998)

Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah (marcejewels)
    marcejewels: Similar style of writing regarding chapters etc. The friendship is between 2 girls.
    Circle of Friends by Maeve Binchy (jbvm)
    Blue Diary by Alice Hoffman (jbvm)
    A Map of the World by Jane Hamilton (ainsleytewce)

Jodi Picoult's "The Pact" is billed as a love story but it is far more than that. It is a story of complex human relationships culminating in a John Grisham like Courtroom Drama. The story involves the death of Emily Gold. Is it a suicide or did Chris Harte kill her? That in essence is the plot but in answering this question Picoult has explored so many areas of relationships that the book tugged at my heartstrings. As for the trial each time a witness was examined and cross-examined I swayed between thinking Chris would be acquitted or convicted. No, I will not be a spoiler. This book is a must read. ( )
  Writermala | Oct 4, 2014 |
While this was a pretty fast read, for its length there could have been more character development. I never felt like I really knew any of them and found I didn't really care what happened to them in the end. ( )
  viviennestrauss | Jun 20, 2014 |
There are certain sorts of books I tend to read late at night, before bed. They are usually mindless, "intellectual" love stories, suspense, thrillers, or mysteries. And so I found myself at the bookstore with an urge for such a book, and came across The Pact. And for the genre, it was a bit above average, though nothing that's inspiring me to read any more Picoult. ( )
  Seven.Stories.Press | Jun 13, 2014 |
"Do you know... what it's like to love someone so much, that you can't see yourself without picturing [them]? Or what it's like to touch someone, and feel like you've come home?"

"...and he suddenly knew that if she killed herself, he would die. Maybe not immediately, maybe not with the same blinding rush of pain, but it would happen. You couldn't live for very long without a heart."

A wonderful book about expectations and the fear of not accomplishing your goals and letting your loved ones down. It was a rocky road from before the trial and during trying to get a sense of how Chris truly felt and what really occurred. I thought the pace was pretty good through out and I liked the ending. ( )
  amym53 | May 27, 2014 |
Heart wrenching. Good, believable ending. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
Who ever loved that loved not at first signt?
--CHRISTOPHER MARLOWE
Hero and Leander
Let us embrace, and from this very moment vow an eternal miserY together.
--THOMAS OTWAY
The Orphan
This one's for my brother, Jon,
who knows the cost of the Space Toilet, the spelling of Tetris, and the way to fnd a chapter accidentally lost in the bowels of my computer.
I hope you also know how terrific I think you are.
There was nothing left to say.

For eighteen years the Hartes and the Golds have lived next door to each other, sharing everything from Chinese food to chicken pox to carpool duty-- they've grown so close it seems they have always been a part of each other's lives. Parents and children alike have been best friends, so it's no surprise that in high school Chris and Emily's friendship blossoms into something more. They've been soul mates since they were born.

So when midnight calls from the hospital come in, no one is ready for the appalling truth: Emily is dead at seventeen from a gunshot wound to the head. There's a single unspent bullet in the gun that Chris took from his father's cabinet-- a bullet that Chris tells police he intended for himself. But a local detective has doubts about the suicide pact that Chris has described.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061150142, Mass Market Paperback)

Until the phone calls came at three o'clock on a November morning, the Golds and their neighbors, the Hartes, had been inseparable. It was no surprise to anyone when their teenage children, Chris and Emily, began showing signs that their relationship was moving beyond that of lifelong friends. But now seventeen-year-old Emily is dead—shot with a gun her beloved and devoted Chris pilfered from his father's cabinet as part of an apparent suicide pact—leaving two devastated families stranded in the dark and dense predawn, desperate for answers about an unthinkable act and the children they never really knew.

From New York Times bestselling author Jodi Picoult—one of the most powerful writers in contemporary fiction—comes a riveting, timely, heartbreaking, and terrifying novel of families in anguish and friendships ripped apart by inconceivable violence.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:27:00 -0400)

A teenage suicide pact between a pregnant girl and her boyfriend, both children of wealthy New England families. He shoots her, but fails to shoot himself and is charged with murder. At the trial he explains what made them do it.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,391,649 books! | Top bar: Always visible