Pact by Jodi Picoult

Pact (original 1998; edition 2005)

by Jodi Picoult

Member:LavendarBlue
Title:Pact
Authors:Jodi Picoult
Info:Hodder & Stoughton General Division (2005), Paperback, 528 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Tags:Teenage pact suicide. Great read but a bit depressing.

The Pact by Jodi Picoult (1998)

Recently added byProcessPending, tesskrose, CasandraM, eeminxs, Midge427, private library, BetseyG23, zmschlesh, rnbwpnt
    Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah (marcejewels)
    marcejewels: Similar style of writing regarding chapters etc. The friendship is between 2 girls.
    Circle of Friends by Maeve Binchy (jbvm)
    Blue Diary by Alice Hoffman (jbvm)
    A Map of the World by Jane Hamilton (ainsleytewce)

I liked the book. I enjoy Picoult's view of social circumstances, but I felt that there were loose ends not resolved. Chris should have discovered what happened to Emily in the McDonald's. Emily's dad should have found out about the journal Melanie found. Just thought there were things left open ended. ( )
  Kay_Downing | Apr 28, 2016 |
I had the opportunity to read this book when I was managing a Chapter 11 Bookstore in Snellville, Ga. Ms Picoult was was going to be signing copies of her new book The Pact, I read the book before the event. Tough subject matter but one that could use plenty of discussion and this book provides a starting point with many different perspectives. I had a hard time putting this one down, I was pulled into the story and could feel the characters pain as the story unfolded. ( )
  yvonne.sevignykaiser | Apr 2, 2016 |
Mozhan Marno, Jennifer Ikeda, Edoardo Ballerini, and others
  jmail | Mar 21, 2016 |
Emily and Chris have known each other forever. Their parents are neighbours and their mothers were pregnant at the same time. They were always inseparable and did end up falling in love as teenagers. But when their suicide pact goes wrong, Chris is still alive, and suspected of murder...

Like with Picoult's other books, this story is told both in flashbacks and with different viewpoints, so the reader gets some insight into each character. Because of all the different viewpoints, the reader can also see how each character is affected by what is happening and what has happened. The book builds until the end, during the trial when what really happened comes to light. It's another page-turner where I wanted to know what really happened. As much as I liked it, I'm not sure this one affected me as much as some of her other books. That being said, it was still very good and I did want to keep reading. ( )
  LibraryCin | Mar 4, 2016 |
I couldn't put it down. I wanted more, more, more!

"The Pact" is a suicide pact between seventeen year old Emily Gold and seventeen year old Chris Harte. The pair had been best friends their entire lives and later end up as lovers. Picoult takes us through the “now” and “then” to help us understand the story and the characters. ( )
  jenn88 | Feb 14, 2016 |
Who ever loved that loved not at first signt?
--CHRISTOPHER MARLOWE
Hero and Leander
Let us embrace, and from this very moment vow an eternal miserY together.
--THOMAS OTWAY
The Orphan
This one's for my brother, Jon,
who knows the cost of the Space Toilet, the spelling of Tetris, and the way to fnd a chapter accidentally lost in the bowels of my computer.
I hope you also know how terrific I think you are.
There was nothing left to say.

For eighteen years the Hartes and the Golds have lived next door to each other, sharing everything from Chinese food to chicken pox to carpool duty-- they've grown so close it seems they have always been a part of each other's lives. Parents and children alike have been best friends, so it's no surprise that in high school Chris and Emily's friendship blossoms into something more. They've been soul mates since they were born.

So when midnight calls from the hospital come in, no one is ready for the appalling truth: Emily is dead at seventeen from a gunshot wound to the head. There's a single unspent bullet in the gun that Chris took from his father's cabinet-- a bullet that Chris tells police he intended for himself. But a local detective has doubts about the suicide pact that Chris has described.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061150142, Mass Market Paperback)

Until the phone calls came at three o'clock on a November morning, the Golds and their neighbors, the Hartes, had been inseparable. It was no surprise to anyone when their teenage children, Chris and Emily, began showing signs that their relationship was moving beyond that of lifelong friends. But now seventeen-year-old Emily is dead—shot with a gun her beloved and devoted Chris pilfered from his father's cabinet as part of an apparent suicide pact—leaving two devastated families stranded in the dark and dense predawn, desperate for answers about an unthinkable act and the children they never really knew.

From New York Times bestselling author Jodi Picoult—one of the most powerful writers in contemporary fiction—comes a riveting, timely, heartbreaking, and terrifying novel of families in anguish and friendships ripped apart by inconceivable violence.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:03 -0400)

A teenage suicide pact between a pregnant girl and her boyfriend, both children of wealthy New England families. He shoots her, but fails to shoot himself and is charged with murder. At the trial he explains what made them do it.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,957,196 books! | Top bar: Always visible