The Barefoot Book of Earth Tales (One World,…

The Barefoot Book of Earth Tales (One World, One Planet) (Barefoot Books)

by Dawn Casey

I enjoyed this tale as well as the others in the book. They told good lessons about living in harmony with the earth, The illustrations were very fitting for each tale and culture.
  Victoria_Martin | Dec 7, 2013 |
Seven traditional stories from around the world are gathered in The Barefoot Book of Earth Tales, each with an environmental theme, each presented with an accompanying craft or project that allows the young reader to become more involved with the narrative. Some of the selections here - like the Aboriginal myth of The Sun Mother, from Australia - are creation stories, explaining how the world came to be, and what humanity's relationship to the earth (and its creatures) ought to look like. Others, like the Nigerian tale, Why the Sky Is Far Away, are pourquoi tale and cautionary fable in one, warning against greed and over-consumption, while explaining a natural phenomenon. Grumpy Gecko, a cumulative tale from Bali, highlights the interdependency of all life, while the Comanche legend, She Who Is Alone, points to the need for balance, for both giving and taking, when it comes to our relationship with the natural world.

Rounding out the selections are The Magic Garden, a Kazakh story in which two unselfish friends use an unexpected windfall to create a beautiful garden that will be of benefit to future generations; Amrita's Tree, a historical legend from the Bishnoi people of India, in which a young girl's brave actions save the forest that is so important to the survival of her people; and Stink Water, a Welsh tale in which a human and fairy couple must work out a plan for waste disposal that is mutually satisfactory. An engaging collection, well worth the time of young folktale lovers and environmentalists, The Barefoot Book of Earth Tales is illustrated in vividly colorful folk-motif style by Anne Wilson, who also collaborated with Dawn Casey on The Great Race: The Story of the Chinese Zodiac. All in all, a recommended title! ( )
1 vote AbigailAdams26 | Apr 25, 2013 |
This is the neatest book of folk tales celebrating cultures around the world. It includes craft projects which tie into the tales as well, and is colorfully illustrated. Amazing! I'd recommend it for students K-1st grade, and it could be tied into a social students unit or folktale unit. ( )
  ColorBound | Sep 26, 2012 |
I would definitely have this book as a part of my classroom library. I think it is really important for children to be exposed to many different cultures and folktales are a great way to do that. I may even have students look into their ancestry and find a folktale from a place they are connected to.
  hmischke | Jun 11, 2012 |
summary: This book tells of different places in the world. It tells different tales and myths from different places.

classroom connection: This is a perfect book to use to compare different folktales and myths with different countries.
  ShelbyDietsch | Jun 11, 2012 |

Seven folktales from around the world express the belief that the Earth and all living things are sacred, and that it us up to each of us to care for our part of the planet. Includes an introduction and "eco-activity" for each tale.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,489,969 books! | Top bar: Always visible