Old Jules by Mari Sandoz

Old Jules (1935)

by Mari Sandoz

I picked this book up as a teenager in a small service station somewhere in the middle of nowhere in Nebraska. I started reading it while sitting in the car on the way to the Black Hills. Reading this book while watching the landscape in which it was written pass by, was amazing. I have since re-read this book almost every year.
  sochri | Nov 21, 2017 |
1046 Old Jules, by Mari Sandoz (read 18 Mar 1970) This purports to be a biography of Jules Sandoz, a Swiss who settled in the Nebraska Panhandle. It is an amazing story of pioneer hardship and of a real character who was so mean he makes me cringe. He tells of life as I am sure it was in Nebraska not long ago--he died in 1930. The book has moments of high poignancy, even for one who never knew the hardship: "They would never hear the thunder of the ice going out on Niobrara again, never see the gold of autumn along the bluffs, the ash, the slender yellow pencils, the cottonwoods rustling in chartreuse and orange, the creeper blood splashes on the silver of the buffalo berries. It was only a memory now, like her lover, he who made gay music on the Rhine." ( )
  Schmerguls | Jun 18, 2009 |
an amazingly real story -- biography of the author's father, a very influential and fascinating if not terribly likeable pioneer in the upper Niobrara region of western Nebraska in the 1880's-1920's. I recommend it as an easy read: history, geography, and an enjoyable story. ( )
  juliabeth | Sep 18, 2008 |

Mari Sandozprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hasselstrom, Linda M.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kirsch, DwightPhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stauffer, Helen WinterAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The border towns of Rock and Cherry counties were shaking off the dullness of winter.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,468,226 books! | Top bar: Always visible