Anthony Adverse by Hervey Allen

Anthony Adverse (1933)

by Hervey Allen

Series: Anthony Adverse

English (4)  French (1)  All (5)
An epic adventure novel that took six weeks to read. Mr Allen put his heart into this work. There's serious historical research been undertaken with this. It is compelling because the ventures with which Anthony is involved are themselves complex and fraught with possibilities. My favourite rascal, Aaron Burr even makes an appearance. An excellent picaresque novel.
  ivanfranko | May 22, 2017 |
Excellent narrative spanning many years and several continents. Details the life and adventures of an orphan (Anthony Adverse) from birth to death. The book I have is in two volumes and has original artwork by NC Wyeth and pen decorations byAllan McNab. Seems at once to be too wild to be true and too realistic to be fiction. It was made into a film a number of years ago but the film fell far short of doing justice to Mr. Allen's epic work. A must read for anyone who has an interest in adventure, romance, intrigue and human interest all rolled into one fantastic story. ( )
  Teeny1 | May 20, 2010 |
3723. Anthony Adverse, by Hervey Allen (read 30 Mar 2003) This famous book was the no. 1 fiction bestseller in both 1933 and 1934 and is listed in Vincent Starrett's 1955 book Best Loved Books of the 20th Century. It starts out in great style, telling the story of the events leading to the eponymous character's conception and birth and the fate of his parents, then goes on thru his fantastic times in Italy, Cuba, Africa, Switzerland, France (where he meets Napoleon), Spain, Louisiana, Texas, Mexico, and New Mexico. This is the ultimate picaresque novel, but I could not help thinking that The Cloister and the Hearth, by Charles Reade (read by me 19 Mar 1963) and The Three Musketeers (read 19 Nov 1972) and its great sequel, Twenty Years After (read 25 Nov 1972) by Dumas pere were much better books, though this book had its moments. 1224 pages! I wondered whether it was the most-paged single volume I ever read so I went backwards in my list and found Michener's The Covenant (read 12 Oct 2001) had 1238 in the edition I read and Gotham, the fascinating history of New York City till 1898 (read 9 July 2001) had 1311. So... But they were better than this book, though I knew I would not be satisfied until I read this so I did. ( )
1 vote Schmerguls | Nov 15, 2007 |
This novel has a rather slow start, but picks up speed as it goes along. If you like to follow a character from childhood to adult, and span the globe this is a great book. ( )
  technobrarian | Jun 28, 2006 |

Allen, Herveyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wilson, Edward ArthurIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Edna Allen Rickmers
Between the villages of Aubiere and Romagnat in the ancient Province of Auvergne there is an old road that comes suddenly over the top of a high hill.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,394,888 books! | Top bar: Always visible