The Little Mermaid by Hans Christian…

The Little Mermaid

by Hans Christian Andersen

I've seen the Little Mermaid and The Little Mermaid 2: return to the Sea so many times it's ridiculous.

However, this is the first time I have ever read the actual story. And I'm sad... I felt a deep sadness while reading this.
She gave up everything and lived her in pain everyday she walked on land. Yet, she never complained. She resigned herself to death and loved the prince to the very end.
And her sisters. Oh, god, her sisters! They did what they could to help her even after she practically abandoned them all.
If that isn't true love, I don't know what is.

Yes, the little mermaid loved the prince and wanted to become a human to be with him. BUT THAT WASN'T THE ONLY REASON!
She wanted to gain an immortal soul.
I can only imagine how happy she would have been if she had attained it.

This version of the book is illustrated by a man named Charles Santore and, I must say, he is very talented.
The images on these pages are beautiful and fit perfectly with the story.

I will forever cherish this book. ( )
  cindyXIII | Aug 1, 2013 |
The Little Mermaid, illustrated by Charles Santore.

One of Andersen's most beloved fairy-tales, The Little Mermaid was originally published in 1837, as part of the collection Eventyr, fortalte for Børn. Første Samling. Tredie Hefte. (Fairy Tales Told for Children, First Collection, Third Booklet). An immediate popular success, it tells the story of a young mermaid who falls in love with an earthly prince, sacrificing everything in order to become human, and have a chance of winning his love, and an immortal soul.

The Little Mermaid has never been one of my favorite fairy-tales, owing not to the unhappy ending - so unlike the unfortunate animated Disney film adaptation - but rather to its implicit message that in order to find love (and indeed, salvation) a woman must change something fundamental in her nature, and become something she is not. But although never able to take it wholly to heart, I find myself drawn to it, always wrestling with its narrative of female sacrifice and suffering.

Of all the many editions I have read over the years, it is this one - illustrated by Charles Santore - that comes the closest to my own conception of the tale. Very close to the nineteenth-century translation of Mary Howitt - but without the obnoxious ending in which the heroine's "career" as a spirit of the air is dependent on the virtue (or lack thereof) of children - the narrative reads well, balancing the need to be faithful to the original, with the desire to be relevant to the present. The artwork is beautiful, if somewhat ornate.

It seems odd, in light of my ambiguous feelings for the tale itself, to speak of a "favorite" retelling, but if I had to pick an edition that had the power to convince me (almost) to love The Little Mermaid, I would inevitably light upon Charles Santore's version. That is no small achievement... ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Jul 22, 2013 |
Hans Christian Andersen's original story is supported by exceptional artwork and an ageless story for all ages. A great read-aloud or gift book. ( )
  vah | Nov 28, 2008 |
Far out at sea, the water is as blue as the prettiest cornflowers, and as clear as the purest crystal. But it is very deep - so deep, indeed, that no rope can measure it. It is there that the sea folk dwell.
This adaptation of Hans Christian Andersen's "The Little Mermaid" is based on the translation by Mary Howitt and illustrated by Charles Santore. It should not be combined with collections of multiple stories or with other adaptations.

The Little Mermaid's universal longing for freedom, independence, and love is made real by Santore's sensitive presentation. School Library Journal said, "The opulent full-page watercolors are a perfect complement to this stylish and authentic interpretation of Hans Christian Andersen's fairy tale."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:49 -0400)

A little sea princess, longing to be human, trades her mermaid's tail for legs, hoping to win the love of a prince and earn an immortal soul for herself.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,445,363 books! | Top bar: Always visible