Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

Juliet, Naked

by Nick Hornby

Annie initiates an e-mail correspondence with Tucker Crowe, a reclusive Dylanish singer-songwriter, and a connection is forged between two lonely people who are looking for more out of what they've got. What happens when a washed-up musician looks for another chance? And a childless woman looks for a change?… (more)

English (133)  German (5)  Spanish (3)  Catalan (2)  Hungarian (1)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  French (1)  All languages (147)
Reading Juliet, Naked was depressing. It’s a good enough story, well thought out and written. I've always been a fan Nick Hornby. He writes honest things that apply to our daily lives that make us face existential questions; which can be debatable topic, depending on where you stand in the ‘dealing with reality’ debacle. I, for one, prefer to deal with this issue, when the whim takes me, or when reading the right book so Juliet, Naked got me thinking.
Tucker Crowe was felt like an afterthought in this book. Even though everyone seemed sufficiently obsessed with him and his life, his story on its own was unfulfilled. It left me dry and somewhat sad. I suppose there was no other way it could have been but his life was so lacking. How does a person live like he does? Self-hatred should be temporary and directed at a certain point in your life and not your whole being.
As for Anne (I think that was her name. I finished the book 15 minutes ago but first person narrative doesn't leave you knowing much about who a person is from an outside perspective, including names, in my opinion.), she wasted her life. I don’t know how someone can do that to themselves. Self-worth is earned and then deserved. Instead, she squanders her youth on a useless guy in a useless town, ambition-less. Surely people don’t need to be told to make themselves happy. Isn't that what is told to each of us is told by parents, relatives, guidance counselors, college professors, friends …? We don’t need huge blinking neon warnings like this book and many other works of art to let us know that our lives are in our hands.
I complain, but these are the types of books I like. There’s something attractive about people living sad, unfulfilled lives.
  Hiwot.Abebe | Sep 28, 2020 |
If there was a 1/2 star option I'd probably give it 3 1/2 as its not quite as good as High Fidelity or About a Boy. It was a quick, funny, enjoyable read. I would definitely recommend this to my btx friends for its take on internet message boards. ( )
  baruthcook | Aug 26, 2020 |
I loved the movie, much more than I expected to, which made me decide to read the novel. I'm writing this about 10 months after I read it, and to be honest I can't remember a single thing about the book. No, wait, I remember one thing: Duncan was even worse in the book than in the movie, in part because he broke into the home of the titular Juliet whilst sight-seeing in the US. I also remember that the book ended pretty unsatisfactorily for me, though to be honest I can't remember a thing about how it ended except that it was ambiguous and just left me feeling kind of "meh".

I've never read a Nick Hornby book, though I've seen three of the movies (and About a Boy is really great). Having read this book, I'm not inclined to give another of his a try unless in movie form. ( )
  AeshaMali | Aug 9, 2020 |
Read on recommendation of friends, who were right that he finally has the hang of writing women. ( )
  st3t | Aug 3, 2020 |
"Juliet Naked" is told from three related first person accounts. This makes it particularly well suited to being an audio book, with different actors reading the first person accounts. It's an unabridged book, so you get the original prose but with the benefit of some skillful voices that add to the impact of the characterisation.

In "Juliet Naked", Hornby tackles obsession and how the internet amplifies it, co-dependent relationships, the postponed onset of adulthood, the meaning of fatherhood, the impact of the fondly remembered past on the decaying present, and, at the heart of it, the need for love and hope and the possibility of learning to make things better.

As usual, he does all this in an accessible, often humorous way that is based on close observation of how people live their lives, leavened by some Trans-Atlantic comedies of manners.

The people in this story seem real and their predicaments seem relevant but without descending into gritty nihlism and pointless existential panic. The reality is set firmly in a storytelling framework that provides a strong authorial presence (although not an authorial voice) which promises us that there is a plot, that everything has a point and that we will believe the denouement when we arrive at it.

I think most Brit readers of 40 will find themselves or someone they know in the three main characters.

Duncan is an obsessed, sometimes pompous, insecure man who has arrived at middle age without ever mentally leaving his student bedsit and keeps the world at bay by building an internet-based universe focusing on the music and life of Tucker Crowe, a slightly famous American rock singer who hasn't recorded anything in twenty years.Duncan is a Master in this universe in a way that he can never be in real life. He is a world-leading expert "Crowoligist".

Annie, a women adrift in her own life comes to realise that her growing dislike for Duncan, the man she has spent the past 15 years with, is fueled by anger at herself for failing to live. She is waking up in her forties to the fact that her world is hollow and she is hiding in it.

Tucker Cromwe is the American one-time rock star, drunk, and serial monogomist with a weakness for tall, skinny English women, who is now 55 and doubts he will make 70 and is wondering what that means.

Hornby brings them together in a Northern English coastal town and lets events unfold in a way that gives us insight into all of them and still raises a smile.

Next time you have a long drive and you want to be stimulated while you travel and want to arrive in a good mood, listen to this audio book. But be warned, you may end up sitting in your car when you reach your destination so you finish a chapter. ( )
  MikeFinnFiction | May 16, 2020 |
Hornby seems, as ever, fascinated by the power of music to guide the heart, and in this very funny, very charming novel, he makes you see why it matters.

For all the bits and bytes flowing through it, this is not a particularly electrifying setup. Any novel about a rock star must first get past the ekphrastic nightmare of trying to describe music with prose. But more than that, this is a novel about people who have wasted massive chunks of their lives.. They're trying to make the best of what's left, but what's left just isn't that great. Juliet, Naked is a bleaker book than Hornby's A Long Way Down, and that was about four people trying to kill themselves.
added by Shortride | editTime, Lev Grossman (Oct 5, 2009)

Without the tangents and occasional tedium of its middle section, Juliet, Naked could have been a classic novella about our current, internet-fueled pop-culture moment. As it is, the novel is still Hornby’s most inspired in more than a decade; now, if only he could find a way to apply that same inspiration to a greater variety of situations that aren’t so obviously near to his own heart.
added by Shortride | editPopdose, Jon Cummings (Oct 1, 2009)

A more treacly writer than Mr. Hornby would engineer new happiness for each of [its] characters. But in its diffident way, “Juliet, Naked” is as candid as the unplugged music on “Naked.” It knows its characters too well to lie about them.

Hornby’s first novel, “High Fidelity,” demonstrated the author’s passion for music and the magical effects it can have on its fans. In “Juliet, Naked,” he shows how obsessing over music isn’t the road to love and self-actualization. It’s the road to heartbreak.
added by Shortride | editNew York Post, Reed Tucker (Sep 27, 2009)

For Amanda, with love and thanks
They had flown from England to Minneapolis to look at a toilet.

From the beloved New York Times- bestselling author, a quintessential Nick Hornby tale of music, superfandom, and the truths and lies we tell ourselves about life and love. Annie loves Duncan-or thinks she does. Duncan loves Annie, but then, all of a sudden, he doesn't. Duncan really loves Tucker Crowe, a reclusive Dylanish singer-songwriter who stopped making music ten years ago. Annie stops loving Duncan, and starts getting her own life. In doing so, she initiates an e-mail correspondence with Tucker, and a connection is forged between two lonely people who are looking for more out of what they've got. Tucker's been languishing (and he's unnervingly aware of it), living in rural Pennsylvania with what he sees as his one hope for redemption amid a life of emotional and artistic ruin-his young son, Jackson. But then there's also the new material he's about to release to the world: an acoustic, stripped-down version of his greatest album, Juliet-entitled, Juliet, Naked. What happens when a washed-up musician looks for another chance? And miles away, a restless, childless woman looks for a change? Juliet, Naked is a powerfully engrossing, humblingly humorous novel about music, love, loneliness, and the struggle to live up to one's promise.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,681,708 books! | Top bar: Always visible