Toot & Puddle: The New Friend by Holly…

Toot & Puddle: The New Friend

by Holly Hobbie

Toot and Puddle meet Opal's friend, Daphne. Daphne seems very talented and Opal starts to become sad that she is not as talented as Daphne. All three soon realize that Daphne isn't the nicest of friends. Daphne finally realizes that everyone is special in their own way. It's a great story about friendship and being self-centered. ( )
  katinasea | Feb 21, 2016 |
35 months - O likes this series and found them on the shelf in the library and wanted to take them all home. We borrowed two. Prima Donna was not top on my list for words to teach my child but that's what Opal's friend Daphne is. Cute story with sweet illustrations. ( )
  maddiemoof | Oct 20, 2015 |
I think this may be the first Toot & Puddle book I’ve ever read. It’s very sweet and the art is lovely. The story is one I think we’ve seen a lot before, but with its own Toot & Puddle flavor and no less satisfying for being familiar. My only issue really was the ending. It either doesn’t quite close the story, or it does so in a very subtle way that I’m not sure young kids will get. I guess Opal deciding she wanted to stay up and look at the night sky instead of participating in the “who can fall asleep fastest” contest shows how she’s changed from earlier in the story when she was distraught that Daphne won all the contests and seemed to be better at everything—now Opal doesn’t feel she even needs to compete at all. But it’s definitely a light touch, if that’s the intention, and on first read I didn’t even see it and just felt that the last page was sort of a let-down. On further reflection I like it better, but part of me still thinks it might have been better to make it a little more clear for young readers (and older ones who missed the subtlety the first time around). ( )
  michelleknudsen | Dec 6, 2009 |
This is a good source of fantasy because it tells the story of Toot and Puddle and how they are learning to get along with their new friend Daphne who thinks she is better then them. They all have to learn that they are all special and all have their own talents.

Puddle as the protagonist because the story is about him and how he tries to be a good friend to Daphne even when she isn't a good friend to him.

Style: Hoo, Hoo, she went. Caw, caw. Quack, quack, quack. (Onomatopoeia)
  kphillips08 | Oct 29, 2009 |

Opal's new friend Daphne seems to be the best at everything she does, but Toot and Puddle see another side of her.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:51 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,447,577 books! | Top bar: Always visible