The Phantom of the Subway by Geronimo…

English (5)  Spanish (1)  All (6)
“The Phantom of the Subway” is a part of the Geronimo Stilton series, featuring Geronimo, a writer for the Rodent’s Gazette. There are over 30 books in the series. This book is aimed at 3-4 graders due to the level of writing and story complexion. Even when imagining through the eyes of a child, I found the story to be a little dull. It took some effort to get through this book because I was not interested in the characters, especially Geronimo, whom I felt was whiny. He Is pushed around by his cousin, Trap, who wants to swindle money from him in exchange for information on the story. I did not see this as good role-modeling from a main character. I saw no deeper message to this book. However, reading this book would be good practice for a 3-4 grader. Some redeeming qualities would be that many of the action words are in a font that represents what they mean and the book is complete with a map of the city and an “about the author” that is actually about the main character, Geronimo. I would put this book on my elementary school bookshelf but also have many other books that I feel are more captivating.
In this city of mice in a mouse-populated town, in the subway, the figure of a cat (that also may be a ghost) appears deep in the tunnel and causes an uproar. Geronimo and his crew of writers (along with his obnoxious cousin) sneak past police to try to get the scoop for their newspaper. They pass his nemesis Sally Ratmousen, the leader of their newspaper competition, who means trouble for them. Eventually they discover the truth, which is that the (phantom?) cat is actually a robot created by Professor Paws von Holt, one of Geronimo’s old friends who also appears frequently in the series. He used the cat to guard his other inventions, which Sally tries to steal. They thwart her and get the scoop they came for all along.
  btadde1 | Oct 25, 2016 |
Not to be as silly as this book, but overall, I thought the story was pretty cheesy!
Lots of pun names with the words "mouse" and/or "rat" and lots and lots of cheese references! The story was long, but my 7 year old daughter loved it! And I really liked the style and fonts in the print - very engaging for young readers! I think my girl has become a fan, so I guess I will be too! Rats. ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Jan 23, 2016 |
AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ( )
  xc91 | Aug 31, 2011 |
Another mystery for detective geronimo
  alexlea | Jul 13, 2009 |
It was good. It was funny. The cover picture does not happen in the book. ( )
  skeeterbo | Jul 7, 2008 |
Original title: Il Fantasma del Metro

Enter the world of Geronimo Stilton, where another laugh is always right around the corner. Each book is a fast-paced adventure with lively art and a unique format kids 7-10 will love.

When my sister Thea told me a ghost was haunting New Mouse City's subway tunnels, I knew I had to get the scoop for The Rodents Gazette! So I set off with Thea, Trap, and my assistant editor Pinky Pick. We soon discovered that Sally Ratmousen, the editor of The Daily Rat, was also on the trail of the mysterious ghost. But we were all in for the fright of our wee mouse lives... because the ghost turned out to be a CAT!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:12 -0400)

Geronimo Stilton - Book 13

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,416,720 books! | Top bar: Always visible