Brooklyn Rose by Ann Rinaldi

Brooklyn Rose

by Ann Rinaldi

So this book was kinda meh, and I might have given it two stars, but I thought it was pretty cool that Ann Rinaldi wrote a book starring her grandparents set in what she knew of her family history.

Getting married and pregnant at 15 - ugh! What a life women had back then! ( )
  __Lindsey__ | Apr 17, 2013 |
Read by Jodine, Spring 2006:
"I chose the book because it looked pleasant and interesting. I found it in the youth room in the basement of Willard Library, so I could be confident that it really is "youth literature." The reading level is actually easier than I expected, so I would place it anywhere from 7th through 9th grade. Although the story deals with a semi-arranged marriage and the couple's wedding night, the language used is very appropriate and discreet. I would be comfortable letting my daughters read this book when they are in 7th or 8th grade. "
  educ318 | Jan 10, 2008 |
A girl from South Carolina marries a wealthy man from New York and moves there; she must learn how to run a house and get used to such a different place. ( )
  SusieBookworm | Aug 17, 2007 |
I listened to this as an audio book. The reader did a fairly good job, except for the male voices which all sounded gruff and slightly superior.
I found it disturbing that the women in the book were depicted as firmly pinned down by the conventions of the turn of the century. For example, the protagonist, Rose, gets married at age 15, following in her mother's footsteps. She marries a man 15 years her senior, not for love, but because she thought his wealth would save her family's failing southern plantation. Even so, the author clearly intended Rose to be an iconoclast for her time, but looking at Rose through 21st century eyes, she doesn't seem that daring.

What I most enjoyed about the book were the historical details of life at the turn of the century. For example, the use of street cars that took them out to the sand dunes in Brooklyn, New York! Also interesting were the role expectations placed upon wealthy women of that time i.e. managing a household of servants so as not to "bother" the husband with those details as he had important business to attend to.

This isn't the best juvenile historical fiction I've ever read and I was bothered by the treacly deference the "gutsy" protagonist displayed to all of the male characters. The fact that the author reveals at the end of the story that this is a fictional reconstruction of her grandmother's life makes me soften my critical instincts a bit. I couldn't honestly recommend this book wholeheartedly, though it is not completely without merit. ( )
  martyb | May 18, 2006 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 015205538X, Mass Market Paperback)

It's 1900, the dawn of a new century, and fifteen-year-old Rose Frampton is beginning a new life. She's left her family in South Carolina to live with her handsome and wealthy husband in Brooklyn, New York--a move that is both scary and exciting. As mistress of the large Victorian estate on Dorchester Road, she must learn to make decisions, establish her independence, and run an efficient household. These tasks are difficult enough without the added complication of barely knowing her husband. As romance blossoms and Rose begins to find her place, she discovers that strength of character does not come easily but is essential for happiness.

Writing in diary form, Ann Rinaldi paints a sensual picture of time and place--and gives readers an intimate glimpse into the heart of a child as she becomes a woman.

Includes a reader's guide.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:34 -0400)

On St. Helena Island, South Carolina, fifteen year-old Rose meets and marries Rene, a Yankee from Brooklyn, New York, who takes her north to his home where she encounters many differences in attitudes and lifestyles.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,406,783 books! | Top bar: Always visible