Skulduggery Pleasant: The Faceless Ones by…

Skulduggery Pleasant: The Faceless Ones (edition 2010)

by Derek Landy

Member:Beorn_se_Bacaire
Title:Skulduggery Pleasant: The Faceless Ones
Authors:Derek Landy
Info:HarperCollins (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 432 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Fantasy, Contemporary Fantasy, Young Adult, Comic Fantasy, Shelf 12B

Skulduggery Pleasant: The Faceless Ones by Derek Landy

English (21)  German (2)  All languages (23)
It appears two was my limit with this series before it finally hit a rock...

Skulduggery Pleasant and his sidekick, Valkyrie Cain, have to save the world from evil once more. This time, someone is trying to bring The Faceless Ones. And our two detectives will have to stop it from happening. But will this time be like the others or will they not escape unscathed?

I admit I was happy to get my hands on this one. Having loved the previous books, I was eager to see what kind of adventures that wonderful pair would get into! Not to mention the humor that is right up my alley and the wit!

And as expected, it didn't disappoint when it came to those parts!

But, as I kept reading, something kept bothering me. At first, I didn't really understand what it ws, until Scapegrace pointed it out (thank you, dear Vorien): Valkyrie.

Our dear, lovely Val, was becoming more and more like her mentor. I know, she's a teenager, and teenagers are supposed to mimic their elders. But it wasn't ok for me. Because I was watching, helplessly, as a girl who should be someone with her own individual personality, was giving it her best to be somebody else. And while everyone kept pointing it out from some point onward - yes, Scapegrace wasn't the only one who noticed - she just ignored them all. That wasn't some kind of sassy attitude or wisdom beyond her young years. That was what I call "being a brat". And while that would seem normal for a teenager, it still pissed me off at some point.

I hope this doesn't happen in the next book. Now that she has no one to act like, maybe she will get a personality of her own... ( )
  Lydia_Perversius | Jun 14, 2015 |
Young Reader Reaction: Our daughter preferred to have us read Faceless Ones, even though she can read it herself. It took a bit to sort the characters and that distracted her from immediately loving the story. That said, it didn't take long before she was totally hooked.

Adult Reader Reaction: I can see why our 9-year-old wanted us to read the book to her. The number of characters and the speed of the scene changes can be overwhelming. This is an exceptional read-aloud selection, and the cliffhanger at the end is brilliant.

Pros: Fast-paced action, ghosts, magic, and a sophisticated quest that transcends two worlds will grab readers of all ages and interest.

Cons: There are a lot of characters and scene changes. Although some characters come and go quickly ("cameos"), they play a part in the story and may be too much for some readers.

Read our full review and add yours at The Reading Tub®.
  TheReadingTub | Mar 23, 2015 |

OMFG!

The action was non-stop in this installment of the series. I was amused by Valkyrie's reaction to her reflection receiving her first kiss. It seemed like it was well deserved on her part, because of her hooky playing habits; good intentions or not. The ending well the book had an unfortunate time flying across my bedroom. Off to the next, and wanting a decent resolution to this end.
Cheers Pretties! ( )
  wickedshizuku | May 12, 2014 |
Great series - wish our library owned more of them ( )
  SpockMonkeys | Feb 17, 2014 |
I can see, in an objective sort of a way, that this is a decent enough series. But even now, three books in, I haven't managed to really connect with any of the characters. I don't feel much of an investment in their successes or failures and, really, don't feel like I know them very well at all.

The most interesting thing about this particular installment to me was the thread throughout it that it is not okay for a fourteen-year-old girl to be living her life like this. Not that Valkyrie is a convincing teenager, but it's interesting to have that aspect of her chosen life laid out so explicitly. Because it is quite, quite ridiculous and foolhardy and I'm interested to see where they go with that, at least. ( )
  rrainer | Apr 30, 2013 |
The book is dedicated to my agent, Michelle Kass. I'm not going to be sappy here, okay? I'm not going to talk about how much you've done for me (which is a lot), or the impact you've had on my life (which is immense), and I'm not even going to talk about the advice, encouragement, and counsel you've given me since we met. And I'm not going to mention conversations on tractors either, or iPods at dinner tables, or the number of Yiddish words you've taught me that I've promptly forgotten. All of which, surprisingly, leaves me with nothing much to say. Sorry about that.
The dead man was in the living room, face down on the floor beside the coffee table.
"I'm glad you're not making this needlessly complicated or anything."

You've seen it all before: some bad guy wants to bring about the end of the world, and Skulduggery and Valkyrie fight valiantly to stop it happening. A few people get hurt, sure, but everything's all right in the end.

Well, not this time.

Fourteen-year-old Valkyrie and the skeleton mage, Skulduggery Pleasant, try to foil a plot set in motion fifty years before to find and open the gate that will allow the Faceless Ones to return to this reality.

HarperCollins Childrens Books

An edition of this book was published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,006,901 books! | Top bar: Always visible