Vegomyten : maten, rättvisan och en…

Vegomyten : maten, rättvisan och en hållbar framtid (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Lierre Keith, Richard Gustafsson

1991359,063 (3.93)2
Member:dancey
Title:Vegomyten : maten, rättvisan och en hållbar framtid
Authors:Lierre Keith
Other authors:Richard Gustafsson
Info:Sundbyberg : Optimal, 2009
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:non-fiction

The Vegetarian Myth: Food, Justice, and Sustainability by Lierre Keith (2009)

I find it hard to write a review that does this book justice. It is potentially very important, but there are some serious flaws too.

This book really makes two points. The first one is that vegetarianism does not really solve anything. It does not stop us from killing other creatures, it does not stop world hunger, and it is not healthy. The second point is that the real problem stays unadressed this way, and the real problem is that agriculture and industrialization, helped by fossil fuels, have allowed us to put more people on this planet than it can handle in the long term. We need to do something about overpopulation, we need to stop using fossil fuel, we need to do it as fast as we can, and thinking we can do something about it by having another soy burger is fooling ourselves.

I think those are important points, and I think they are valid as well. She does seem to have her facts straight - either I already knew them, or they made sense. Sometimes they even made sense of facts that had been puzzling me for a while, such as why people with low cholesterol have a higher chance of dying of violence.

I think she is very brave to write this book as well. These are things that people do not want to hear and that do need to be said.

Now for the flaws. As well-researched as the facts are, the argumentation is not as solid. She first spends some time explaining to us that just because cholesterol is often found in plaques, this doesn't mean that it has caused them, and then she tells us that polyunsaturated fats may be dangerous because they are often found in plaques. On a related plane, she does not always seem to have her action priorities straight. After telling us we really need to do something about overpopulation, she gets all worked up about the possible side effects of soy infant formula.

I also think the tone is very "tree-hugging". I don't mind hugging some trees on occasion, but it gets too much.

I would have liked an index too, it is pretty impossible to find things in this book.

And one last thing that is not a fault of the book, but still might be a reason not to read it. I found this book seriously depressing. It paints a very dark picture of where this world is going, and it does not give much hope that we can change it before it is too late. I do think it's brave that she shows so much problems without a ready-made solution, but uplifting it's not.

Still, altogether, I do recommend this book. If you can stand it. ( )
  wester | Mar 3, 2014 |
Regardless of the content, this book is simply unreadable. Surely it cannot be the book on this subject? One extra star plus a review to make it clear that I didn't give it a low rating just because I am vegan/vegetarian (I eat meat). ( )
  TAU67SEu | Feb 6, 2014 |
Was recommended this book by a collegue who swears by LCHF.

I'm a meateater so it didn't really change anything for me, and the book might have some points, but my problem was that most if not all the facts presented were anecdotal or had no source.
Tho that might be a problem with expectation I had of it being a factual book and not more like a biography. ( )
  Paganmoon | Apr 8, 2013 |
This was one of the more controversial books we carried this year. A quick look at the online reviews will tell you the same thing - people are worked up about this thing. Lierre Keith is a brave, brave woman. I wouldn't want to pick a fight with every vegan in the world at the same time.

What I think has been lost in the furor is that her point - the heart of her point, at any rate - is very simple, and very hard to argue with. We take turns eating and being eaten - we consume today, but will be consumed in our turn. If you stop to think about this simple fact, and how it weaves all of us on earth together into an unending cycle of renewal and need, it can give you shivers. It's holy. And it's an idea that encourages us to be more reverent towards all of our food - not just the food with faces, but all of it, the seeds and fruit and leaves, and even the soil itself, richly and deeply alive.

To be reverent and respectful is to think about where your food comes from. It's not enough to give up animal products and think you're doing the world any favors. Monocrops and industrial agriculture, reliant as they are on huge amounts of water, fossil fuel, and chemicals, are not sustainable. And they're slaughtering animal and insect life all around them, so that even your vegetarian meal carries a heavy toll. And who is growing and processing your food, and how? How much fossil fuel is used to get it to your plate? It's at the very least a gross mistake for vegans to feel that their dietary choices have exempted them from considering these things. At worst it's a self-serving lie.

Honestly, I don't care if people are vegan or not. I have known healthy vegans and seriously emaciated unhealthy vegans, who really just needed to eat a steak or something. Keith's nutritional arguments in favor of meat eating are well constructed and meticulously footnoted, but I think it's a little beside the point. Which is hard to argue with: we are not, as a people, healthy, and we are quickly fucking up the earth.

There are some flaws in the book. People have taken issue with her flowery, personally revealing narrative, but I thought it was lovely and compassionate. She could have drawn from a wider range of books for her research, but that's a minor quibble. A larger point of issue is her attack on agriculture. It seems clear that the advent of large scale single crop agriculture brought with it a decline in ecological and human health. But the hunter gathering model, which she favors, isn't an entirely unagricultural enterprise. Many such societies managed certain resources - plants, berries, shellfish - for maximum yields, or controlled the environment in other ways, like by burning. If this is the model to strive for - semi-wild, with a diversity of plant and animal life mixed in (including meat and dairy animals) - then what we're looking at is starting to sound a lot like permaculture. Right? Maybe I'm just being too picky about terminology.

Anyway, there is a great deal to chew on in this book. I can see it stimulating some great discussions, and helping spur people to action. It's unfortunate that the online discussions I've seen have sort of devolved into mudslinging, though given the deep philosophical feelings of the vegan community, it's not surprising.

paperloverevolution | Mar 30, 2013 |
God damn it. I really did not want this book to be true. I hated it when it came out, I cheered when vegan anarchists in my hometown of San Francisco threw a pepper-laced pie in Keith's face. Such an angry vegan was I. I wrote a whole book about factory farms and I have a vegan tattoo.

And I can't do it anymore.

Depression? Check. Anger? Check. Exhaustion? Check. Mild eating disorder? Check. Apparently these are not symptoms of living in 21st century America, but rather, of not eating meat. And I believe it. I've been "vegan" since I was about 17 and there hasn't been a solid year in the last decade that I haven't eaten meat and dairy at some point. If I can't stick to it, maybe it's because we aren't meant to.

The idea that my suicidal thoughts are just a dietary deficiency is revolutionary to me. Is that the case for everyone? No, and she makes that quite clear in the book. But my story sounded far too much like hers: a girl in her twenties with no health problems can't even walk up a flight of stairs or make it through a day of work. And then I eat meat, and I feel better. And hate myself for it.

I think her most powerful points are about grain production and oil. I don't own a car and I try to bike everywhere. I sold my car right around the time of the BP oil spill and never looked back. But veganism isn't the answer to our environmental problems - it is, in fact, part of the problem. This is something we as vegans put our fingers in our ears and went "la la la la la" to whenever someone tried to bring it up.

Is this the greatest book ever? No. Her writing is at times awkward, and she could have cited more nonpartisan sources, but at the end of it, her theories are sound and the evidence is overwhelming. It explains too much of why I have suffered for so long.

You should read this book if you've ever 1) been vegetarian or vegan 2) care about the environment 3) care about animals 4) want to understand humanity's place in the "food system" or 5) live in a big city or urban area and have no access to your own food. It's not perfect but it is radical and revolutionary in a culture that's increasingly losing touch with reality and coming up with dumber and simpler ways to "save" the planet.
  evforija | Dec 3, 2012 |
This was not an easy book to write.

From the Publisher: Part memoir, nutritional primer, and political manifesto, this controversial examination exposes the destructive history of agriculture-causing the devastation of prairies and forests, driving countless species extinct, altering the climate, and destroying the topsoil-and asserts that, in order to save the planet, food must come from within living communities. In order for this to happen, the argument champions eating locally and sustainably and encourages those with the resources to grow their own food. Further examining the question of what to eat from the perspective of both human and environmental health, the account goes beyond health choices and discusses potential moral issues from eating-or not eating-animals. Through the deeply personal narrative of someone who practiced veganism for 20 years, this unique exploration also discusses alternatives to industrial farming, reveals the risks of a vegan diet, and explains why animals belong on ecologically sound farms.… (more)

203 wanted3 pay4 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,977,137 books! | Top bar: Always visible