Vegomyten : maten, rättvisan och en…

Vegomyten : maten, rättvisan och en hållbar framtid (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Lierre Keith, Richard Gustafsson

2031557,794 (3.94)2
Member:dancey
Title:Vegomyten : maten, rättvisan och en hållbar framtid
Authors:Lierre Keith
Other authors:Richard Gustafsson
Info:Sundbyberg : Optimal, 2009
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:non-fiction

The Vegetarian Myth: Food, Justice, and Sustainability by Lierre Keith (2009)

The author brought up some interesting points and I even believe her about the devastation that agriculture has wrought on our ecosystem. But I think she is being too idealistic in thinking we can change the landscape enough to reverse the damage of the last 10 thousand years (at least enough to support a population of 7 billion and growing).

I suppose I have a pessimistic outlook but I would prefer to stay closer to realism than idealism. We need to understand that even if we cleaned up all the messes we've created industrially, agriculturally, etc., there are emerging 3rd world countries with billions of people who are poised to strike the death blow to Earth as we know it. It's bleak but a very real danger.

Understanding that this book was aimed more at vegan and vegetarian democrats than meat-eating libertarians like me, I still enjoyed the very informative presentation. I had no idea that a vegetarian diet was so damaging to our bodies (or to the soil, for that matter). I respect what the author was trying to do and to the extent that we can do it, I'm on board. I will make a greater effort to consume more local food than previously and I'm glad I read this book. ( )
  jimocracy | Apr 18, 2015 |
I find it hard to write a review that does this book justice. It is potentially very important, but there are some serious flaws too.

This book really makes two points. The first one is that vegetarianism does not really solve anything. It does not stop us from killing other creatures, it does not stop world hunger, and it is not healthy. The second point is that the real problem stays unadressed this way, and the real problem is that agriculture and industrialization, helped by fossil fuels, have allowed us to put more people on this planet than it can handle in the long term. We need to do something about overpopulation, we need to stop using fossil fuel, we need to do it as fast as we can, and thinking we can do something about it by having another soy burger is fooling ourselves.

I think those are important points, and I think they are valid as well. She does seem to have her facts straight - either I already knew them, or they made sense. Sometimes they even made sense of facts that had been puzzling me for a while, such as why people with low cholesterol have a higher chance of dying of violence.

I think she is very brave to write this book as well. These are things that people do not want to hear and that do need to be said.

Now for the flaws. As well-researched as the facts are, the argumentation is not as solid. She first spends some time explaining to us that just because cholesterol is often found in plaques, this doesn't mean that it has caused them, and then she tells us that polyunsaturated fats may be dangerous because they are often found in plaques. On a related plane, she does not always seem to have her action priorities straight. After telling us we really need to do something about overpopulation, she gets all worked up about the possible side effects of soy infant formula.

I also think the tone is very "tree-hugging". I don't mind hugging some trees on occasion, but it gets too much.

I would have liked an index too, it is pretty impossible to find things in this book.

And one last thing that is not a fault of the book, but still might be a reason not to read it. I found this book seriously depressing. It paints a very dark picture of where this world is going, and it does not give much hope that we can change it before it is too late. I do think it's brave that she shows so much problems without a ready-made solution, but uplifting it's not.

Still, altogether, I do recommend this book. If you can stand it. ( )
  wester | Mar 3, 2014 |
Regardless of the content, this book is simply unreadable. Surely it cannot be the book on this subject? One extra star plus a review to make it clear that I didn't give it a low rating just because I am vegan/vegetarian (I eat meat). ( )
  TAU67SEu | Feb 6, 2014 |
First: minus 1 star for an occasionally snarky tone and a poor sense of humor. If you lack the ability to relate to your audience in a basic way, it doesn't matter how good your arguments are.

Now, as for content, Keith basically tears apart the environmental and political arguments for vegetarianism. She concludes with a very convincing chapter on nutrition that has me ready to buy a cow (or any grass-fed animal) and eat it--now.

Keith is arguing against agricultural subsistence based on annual grains and for a polyculture based on animal products and ultimately grass. The former has destroyed human health and ecosystems for 10,000 years; the latter has sustained human life and ecosystems for four million years (her number).

While it doesn't flow as seamlessly or have the flashy presentation of Michael Pollan's work, it is just as thought provoking, and it has what I feel [b:The Omnivore's Dilemma|3109|The Omnivore's Dilemma A Natural History of Four Meals|Michael Pollan|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1192945129s/3109.jpg|3287769] lacks: explicit politics. Altogether well done. ( )
  dmac7 | Jun 14, 2013 |
Was recommended this book by a collegue who swears by LCHF.

I'm a meateater so it didn't really change anything for me, and the book might have some points, but my problem was that most if not all the facts presented were anecdotal or had no source.
Tho that might be a problem with expectation I had of it being a factual book and not more like a biography. ( )
  Paganmoon | Apr 8, 2013 |
This was not an easy book to write.

From the Publisher: Part memoir, nutritional primer, and political manifesto, this controversial examination exposes the destructive history of agriculture-causing the devastation of prairies and forests, driving countless species extinct, altering the climate, and destroying the topsoil-and asserts that, in order to save the planet, food must come from within living communities. In order for this to happen, the argument champions eating locally and sustainably and encourages those with the resources to grow their own food. Further examining the question of what to eat from the perspective of both human and environmental health, the account goes beyond health choices and discusses potential moral issues from eating-or not eating-animals. Through the deeply personal narrative of someone who practiced veganism for 20 years, this unique exploration also discusses alternatives to industrial farming, reveals the risks of a vegan diet, and explains why animals belong on ecologically sound farms.… (more)

203 wanted3 pay4 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,818,134 books! | Top bar: Always visible