Half Broke Horses by jeanette walls

Half Broke Horses (edition 2009)

by jeanette walls

3,2871961,665 (3.97)1 / 198
Member:amylynnd
Title:Half Broke Horses
Authors:jeanette walls
Info:scribner (2009), Paperback
Rating:***

Half Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls

Recently added byRena37, jenn88, hadassah_michelle, arpballew, private library, liv_books
    These is my Words: The Diary of Sarah Agnes Prine, 1881-1901 (P.S.) by Nancy E. Turner (Electablue)
    Last of the Saddle Tramps by Mesannie Wilkins (SunnySD)
    SunnySD: If you enjoyed Jeannette Walls' tale of her grandmother's adventures, but wish it had been nonfiction, Wilkin's journey across country with her four-footed companions will be right up your alley.

English (196)  Spanish (1)  All (197)
Jeannette Walls tells the story of her grandmother, Lily, in this book. Lily helped her father break horses, she rode five hundred miles on her pony at age fifteen to get to her teaching job, and she learned how to drive a car as well as fly a plane. She raised two children on a ranch she ran with her husband, and she survived many things - tornadoes, floods, droughts, the Great Depression, prejudice and personal tragedy.

It’s such a good read. ( )
  jenn88 | Apr 25, 2017 |
I really enjoyed the main character Lily and her tenacity. Sometimes I find when the protagonist goes through many hardships I get annoyed (such as Oliver Twist), but I didn't have that reaction to this book. I thought the hardships showed the true character of Lily and her spirit and abilities. All in all a good read. ( )
  SadieRuin | Apr 22, 2017 |
The remarkable thing about this book is that most of it is true. The author had to embroider some details, so she decided not to call it nonfiction. It's the story of a family living in hot, dusty, harsh country in the south and southwest in the early 1900s. You won't forget the characters in this story or their hardships, joys, talents and trials. Lily was a tough, courageous female during an era when people didn't see many of those. Ranching was a big part of her life, along with new adventures.

I don't want to spoil the story for anyone. You'll love these people and get to know them and their lives. There's not a dull minute in this story that keeps flowing like a rushing stream. ( )
  Rascalstar | Jan 21, 2017 |
A true life novel about Jeanette Walls' grandmother. Quite a formidable woman. Walls also wrote the memoir The Glass Castle, so if you liked that, you'll enjoy this.
  cookierooks | Nov 16, 2016 |
Wonderful read. I loved Jeannette Walls' previous memoir and also was moved by her storytelling. She has a great voice. ( )
  ceciliachard | Oct 17, 2016 |
The pert style of “Half Broke Horses” is much more repetitive and grating than the more spontaneous-sounding voice Ms. Walls used to describe her own life.

But the author comes from a family that knew how to lure horses using grain, not rope. And she has inherited a version of that skill. So she has managed to make her second book almost as inviting as her first, even though its upright heroine is never as startling as Ms. Walls’s parents were.

It was the great north wind that made the Vikings.
—Old Norwegian saying

Esther Fuchs

And in memory of
Jeannette Bivens and
Lily Casey Smith
Those old cows knew trouble was coming before we did.
I never met a kid I couldn't teach. Every kid was good at something, and the trick was to find out what it was, then use it to teach him everything else.

Publisher Comments:
Jeannette Walls's The Glass Castle was nothing short of spectacular (Entertainment Weekly). Now she brings us the story of her grandmother — told in a voice so authentic and compelling that the book is destined to become an instant classic.

"Those old cows knew trouble was coming before we did." So begins the story of Lily Casey Smith, in Jeannette Walls's magnificent, true-life novel based on her no-nonsense, resourceful, hard working, and spectacularly compelling grandmother. By age six, Lily was helping her father break horses. At fifteen, she left home to teach in a frontier town — riding five hundred miles on her pony, all alone, to get to her job. She learned to drive a car ("I loved cars even more than I loved horses. They didn't need to be fed if they weren't working, and they didn't leave big piles of manure all over the place") and fly a plane, and, with her husband, ran a vast ranch in Arizona. She raised two children, one of whom is Jeannette's memorable mother, Rosemary Smith Walls, unforgettably portrayed in The Glass Castle.

Lily survived tornadoes, droughts, floods, the Great Depression, and the most heartbreaking personal tragedy. She bristled at prejudice of all kinds — against women, Native Americans, and anyone else who didn't fit the mold. Half Broke Horses is Laura Ingalls Wilder for adults, as riveting and dramatic as Isak Dinesen's Out of Africa or Beryl Markham's West with the Night. It will transfix readers everywhere.
Hearse full of schoolkids?

It's just their bus, don't worry

No dead kids! It's safe.

(mazeway)

A true-life novel about Lily Casey Smith (the author's grandmother) who at age six helped her father break horses, at age fifteen left home to teach in a frontier town, and later as a wife and mother runs a vast ranch in Arizona where she survived tornadoes, droughts, floods, the Great Depression, and the most heartbreaking personal tragedy--but despite a life of hardscrabble drudgery still remains a woman of indomitable spirit.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Half Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,795,551 books! | Top bar: Always visible