Half Broke Horses by jeanette walls

Half Broke Horses (edition 2009)

by jeanette walls

3,2771981,676 (3.97)1 / 198
Member:amylynnd
Title:Half Broke Horses
Authors:jeanette walls
Info:scribner (2009), Paperback
Rating:***

Half Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls

These is my Words: The Diary of Sarah Agnes Prine, 1881-1901 (P.S.) by Nancy E. Turner (Electablue)
    Last of the Saddle Tramps by Mesannie Wilkins (SunnySD)
    SunnySD: If you enjoyed Jeannette Walls' tale of her grandmother's adventures, but wish it had been nonfiction, Wilkin's journey across country with her four-footed companions will be right up your alley.

English (199)  Spanish (1)  All (200)
Good read I don't understand the love horse people have for these animals but it comes thru in this story. a tough lady in tough times and well rounded complete finish. ( )
  BryceV | May 17, 2017 |
About a third of the way through this book I realized I'd read it before. Still enjoyed it, but once it felt like familiar territory I put it down. ( )
  Eye_Gee | May 8, 2017 |
I picked up this book because I had read and enjoyed Walls's The Glass Castle. Having been introduced to the peculiarity of Jeannette's mother, I was interested in reading more about her history. Half Broke Horses tells the story of Lily, a tenacious young woman who did not let anything get in her way, whether that was miles of desert, an economic depression, or floods and droughts. This book is a pleasant read and a perfect choice for a bedside table. The setting of this book - the Southwest - would attract the attention of readers who find themselves interested in pioneering. The unique history of Lily and her husband and children make for a compelling memoir. A true-life novel, Half Broke Horses is based on fact with a few fictionalized details to fill in the gaps. The author is very candid about this in a note in the back of the book, explaining she is telling the story of her grandmother as best she knows it, though doing it in first person does demand some adaptations. Black and white family photos are scattered throughout, reminding the reader that this is a real-life story. There is nothing about Walls that gives the reader a reason to distrust her account, though the great tension between fiction and nonfiction cannot be ignored. I would keep this book handy as a recommendation for students who enjoy the genre, though I´d recommend The Glass Castles before Half Broke Horses, only because I enjoyed it more. ( )
  cskaemmerling | May 7, 2017 |
Jeannette Walls tells the story of her grandmother, Lily, in this book. Lily helped her father break horses, she rode five hundred miles on her pony at age fifteen to get to her teaching job, and she learned how to drive a car as well as fly a plane. She raised two children on a ranch she ran with her husband, and she survived many things - tornadoes, floods, droughts, the Great Depression, prejudice and personal tragedy.

It’s such a good read. ( )
  jenn88 | Apr 25, 2017 |
I really enjoyed the main character Lily and her tenacity. Sometimes I find when the protagonist goes through many hardships I get annoyed (such as Oliver Twist), but I didn't have that reaction to this book. I thought the hardships showed the true character of Lily and her spirit and abilities. All in all a good read. ( )
  SadieRuin | Apr 22, 2017 |
The pert style of “Half Broke Horses” is much more repetitive and grating than the more spontaneous-sounding voice Ms. Walls used to describe her own life.

But the author comes from a family that knew how to lure horses using grain, not rope. And she has inherited a version of that skill. So she has managed to make her second book almost as inviting as her first, even though its upright heroine is never as startling as Ms. Walls’s parents were.

It was the great north wind that made the Vikings.
—Old Norwegian saying

Esther Fuchs

And in memory of
Jeannette Bivens and
Lily Casey Smith
Those old cows knew trouble was coming before we did.
I never met a kid I couldn't teach. Every kid was good at something, and the trick was to find out what it was, then use it to teach him everything else.

Publisher Comments:
Jeannette Walls's The Glass Castle was nothing short of spectacular (Entertainment Weekly). Now she brings us the story of her grandmother — told in a voice so authentic and compelling that the book is destined to become an instant classic.

"Those old cows knew trouble was coming before we did." So begins the story of Lily Casey Smith, in Jeannette Walls's magnificent, true-life novel based on her no-nonsense, resourceful, hard working, and spectacularly compelling grandmother. By age six, Lily was helping her father break horses. At fifteen, she left home to teach in a frontier town — riding five hundred miles on her pony, all alone, to get to her job. She learned to drive a car ("I loved cars even more than I loved horses. They didn't need to be fed if they weren't working, and they didn't leave big piles of manure all over the place") and fly a plane, and, with her husband, ran a vast ranch in Arizona. She raised two children, one of whom is Jeannette's memorable mother, Rosemary Smith Walls, unforgettably portrayed in The Glass Castle.

Lily survived tornadoes, droughts, floods, the Great Depression, and the most heartbreaking personal tragedy. She bristled at prejudice of all kinds — against women, Native Americans, and anyone else who didn't fit the mold. Half Broke Horses is Laura Ingalls Wilder for adults, as riveting and dramatic as Isak Dinesen's Out of Africa or Beryl Markham's West with the Night. It will transfix readers everywhere.
Hearse full of schoolkids?

It's just their bus, don't worry

No dead kids! It's safe.

(mazeway)

A true-life novel about Lily Casey Smith (the author's grandmother) who at age six helped her father break horses, at age fifteen left home to teach in a frontier town, and later as a wife and mother runs a vast ranch in Arizona where she survived tornadoes, droughts, floods, the Great Depression, and the most heartbreaking personal tragedy--but despite a life of hardscrabble drudgery still remains a woman of indomitable spirit.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Jeannette Walls's book Half Broke Horses was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,516,578 books! | Top bar: Always visible