Half Broke Horses by jeanette walls

Half Broke Horses (edition 2009)

by jeanette walls

3,1881931,749 (3.97)1 / 197
Member:amylynnd
Title:Half Broke Horses
Authors:jeanette walls
Info:scribner (2009), Paperback
Rating:***

Half Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls

These is my Words: The Diary of Sarah Agnes Prine, 1881-1901 (P.S.) by Nancy E. Turner (Electablue)
    Last of the Saddle Tramps by Mesannie Wilkins (SunnySD)
    SunnySD: If you enjoyed Jeannette Walls' tale of her grandmother's adventures, but wish it had been nonfiction, Wilkin's journey across country with her four-footed companions will be right up your alley.

English (194)  Spanish (1)  English (195)
A true life novel about Jeanette Walls' grandmother. Quite a formidable woman. Walls also wrote the memoir The Glass Castle, so if you liked that, you'll enjoy this.
  cookierooks | Nov 16, 2016 |
Wonderful read. I loved Jeannette Walls' previous memoir and also was moved by her storytelling. She has a great voice. ( )
  ceciliachard | Oct 17, 2016 |
true life story of the author's grandmother, Lily Casey, who is an horse breaker, bootlegger, ranch hand, poker player, pilot, wife, mother, school teacher, bus driver and more that I cannot remember. . I quote from back cover " Lily survived tornadoes, droughts, floods, the Great Depression, and the most heartbreaking personal tragedy. She bristled at prejudice of all kinds- against women, Native Americans, and anyone else who didn't fit the mold." ( )
  Smits | Aug 29, 2016 |
17 copies in ILL, including two at Carson. Only 4 actually available now on June 18, 2011. Popular, I guess! // yes, popular w/ book clubs, and Eloise rec'd it to me, no CC copies Nov. 19 2015
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 5, 2016 |
I loved Glass Castle, and I loved this look at Jeannette Walls character of a grandmother, Lilly Casey. Jeanette's mother, Rosemary, brought to light in Glass Castle, lived quite an existence in the shadow of her own larger-than-life mother. Lilly Casey was born in 1901 and from the get-go she was determined she would not be meek and mild like her mother, and she blazes her way through a plethora of adventures. She lived her life in a practical manner and had no room for sentimentality. She wanted to teach school, work the cattle ranch she and her husband started, and she lived with no frills. Walls says the stories of her grandmother are true, but she invented the first-person dialogue, so the story has to be called fiction. It's a look at the American southwest during the early-to-mid 1900's that makes the reader aware of the hard life, but the beauty of it, too. ( )
  Dmtcer | May 4, 2016 |
The pert style of “Half Broke Horses” is much more repetitive and grating than the more spontaneous-sounding voice Ms. Walls used to describe her own life.

But the author comes from a family that knew how to lure horses using grain, not rope. And she has inherited a version of that skill. So she has managed to make her second book almost as inviting as her first, even though its upright heroine is never as startling as Ms. Walls’s parents were.

It was the great north wind that made the Vikings.
—Old Norwegian saying

Esther Fuchs

And in memory of
Jeannette Bivens and
Lily Casey Smith
Those old cows knew trouble was coming before we did.
I never met a kid I couldn't teach. Every kid was good at something, and the trick was to find out what it was, then use it to teach him everything else.

Publisher Comments:
Jeannette Walls's The Glass Castle was nothing short of spectacular (Entertainment Weekly). Now she brings us the story of her grandmother — told in a voice so authentic and compelling that the book is destined to become an instant classic.

"Those old cows knew trouble was coming before we did." So begins the story of Lily Casey Smith, in Jeannette Walls's magnificent, true-life novel based on her no-nonsense, resourceful, hard working, and spectacularly compelling grandmother. By age six, Lily was helping her father break horses. At fifteen, she left home to teach in a frontier town — riding five hundred miles on her pony, all alone, to get to her job. She learned to drive a car ("I loved cars even more than I loved horses. They didn't need to be fed if they weren't working, and they didn't leave big piles of manure all over the place") and fly a plane, and, with her husband, ran a vast ranch in Arizona. She raised two children, one of whom is Jeannette's memorable mother, Rosemary Smith Walls, unforgettably portrayed in The Glass Castle.

Lily survived tornadoes, droughts, floods, the Great Depression, and the most heartbreaking personal tragedy. She bristled at prejudice of all kinds — against women, Native Americans, and anyone else who didn't fit the mold. Half Broke Horses is Laura Ingalls Wilder for adults, as riveting and dramatic as Isak Dinesen's Out of Africa or Beryl Markham's West with the Night. It will transfix readers everywhere.
Hearse full of schoolkids?

It's just their bus, don't worry

No dead kids! It's safe.

(mazeway)

A true-life novel about Lily Casey Smith (the author's grandmother) who at age six helped her father break horses, at age fifteen left home to teach in a frontier town, and later as a wife and mother runs a vast ranch in Arizona where she survived tornadoes, droughts, floods, the Great Depression, and the most heartbreaking personal tragedy--but despite a life of hardscrabble drudgery still remains a woman of indomitable spirit.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Half Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,686,975 books! | Top bar: Always visible