Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne…

Howl's Moving Castle (original 1986; edition 2008)

by Diana Wynne Jones

Member:lilfries
Title:Howl's Moving Castle
Authors:Diana Wynne Jones
Info:Greenwillow Books (2008), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 448 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Fantasy, Kindle

Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones (1986)

Stardust by Neil Gaiman (DeltaQueen50)
    House of Many Ways by Diana Wynne Jones (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: Another in the same series featuring Howl and Sophie Pendragon (nee Hatter)
    The Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Patricia C. Wrede (Anonymous user, rosylibrarian)
    Castle in the Air by Diana Wynne Jones (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: Also features Howl and Sophie
    Dealing with Dragons by Patricia C. Wrede (infiniteletters)
    The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster (LCoale1)
    The Enchanted Castle by E. Nesbit (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: Despite a castle being in the titles of both books, each novel is really about the human stories contained within and the characters' interaction with the magic they come in contact with.
    A Hat Full of Sky by Terry Pratchett (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Similar style of writing - whimsical and magical
    The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (ut.tecum.loquerer)
    The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner (bell7)
    Flora Segunda: Being the Magickal Mishaps of a Girl of Spirit, Her Glass-Gazing Sidekick, Two Ominous Butlers (One Blue), a House with Eleven Thousand Rooms, and a Red Dog by Ysabeau S. Wilce (foggidawn)
    Too Many Curses by A. Lee Martinez (SunnySD)
    The Changeling Sea by Patricia A. McKillip (cammykitty)
    cammykitty: sweet romance
    Jinx by Sage Blackwood (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Similar in style and tone, both books are filled with magic and wizards, spells and rumors about mysterious and dangerous beings to be avoided.
    Uprooted by Naomi Novik (tralliott)
    Heart's Blood by Juliet Marillier (kkisser)
    The Chocolatier's Wife by Cindy Lynn Speer (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Although Howl's Moving Castle is considered YA, this book reminded me of it in the whimsical and quirky way the story is written and the romance and magic involved. Both books are delightful!
    Tellos, Vol.1 by Todd Dezago (FFortuna)
    Ithanalin's Restoration by Lawrence Watt-Evans (DWWilkin)
    DWWilkin: When reading these books it seems that they have a great deal that would be make each compliment the other.
    The Fairy Godmother by Mercedes Lackey (Anonymous user)

English (318)  French (2)  Finnish (1)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All languages (323)
Three sisters go out to seek their various fortunes in the world, but Sophie thinks adventures aren't for her because traditionally the oldest sister never has adventures. Despite this 'rule,' Sophie manages to get mistakenly cursed by an evil witch and then decides to throw her lot in with the supposedly-evil Wizard Howl and his moving castle on the off chance that he'll help her break the spell. Nothing is as it seems here, not even Sophie, who has no notion at the beginning that she has powerful magic in herownself, and certainly not Howl, who is one of the most exasperating and charming characters around. I love this book so much, and I'm happy to say that Charlie enjoyed it, too (this was a reread for me as our bedtime read-aloud). ( )
  scaifea | Mar 7, 2019 |
The book is more comedic, less romantic, yet as delightful as the Miyazaki movie. ( )
  aspirit | Mar 6, 2019 |
DWJ Book Toast, #6

Diana Wynne Jones is one of my favorite fantasy authors, growing up and now, and I was saddened by the news of her death. I can't say I'm overcome with emotion - as personal as some of her work is to me, its not like I knew her after all - but I wish I could put into words how I feel about her no longer being out there, writing new adventures and laughing at all of us serious fans thinking so hard about her words when we should simply get on with the business of enjoying them.

And that's...what I'm going to do. She's left behind a huge body of work, a large amount of which I haven't read yet, so I'm going to reread all my old favorites (and hopefully some new).

'Howl's Moving Castle' is Jones' currently most famous, and enduring, work, much of that has to do with the Studio Ghibli film by Hayao Miyazaki loosely based on it. I had actually forgotten just how much the book differed since I've seen the movie several times and only read this once.

Which is better? That's hard to say. I think I'll have to avoid answering by agreeing with Jones that, though different from each other, both are "fantastic." I like Sophie's particular brand of magic, giving life to inanimate objects by talking to them. I don't know about you, but I talk to everything, usually when they're not doing what I want them to do. If I had Sophie's powers the results would be either terrifying, hilarious or depressing; as a bunch of much-abused appliances seek employment elsewhere.

The book has Jones' trademark charm and light humor, juxtaposing (one of my favorite $5 words) fantasy with reality. It ends well, but a little abruptly, which is why I never could love it as much as other of her books, but now I have the sequels available to me, which I didn't know about on my first reading, which gives my ratings a boost.

Howl

Next: 'Castle in the Air' ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
This is one of my favorite books of all time. No matter how many times I read it, I get sucked into the story and fall in love with the characters all over again. It's such a fun, interesting story with fantastic characters, a great romance, and some great laugh out loud moments. It is a truly magical book. ( )
  queenofthebobs | Feb 10, 2019 |
I have loved the movie from the first time I saw it. This book did not disappoint! It's so much more than the movie and I loved it! ( )
  StarKnits | Feb 6, 2019 |

Sterlin, JennyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stevens, TimIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wyatt, DavidIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This one is for Stephen
The idea for this book was suggested by a boy
in a school I was visiting, who asked me to
write a book called The Moving Castle.
I wrote down his name, and put it in such a safe
place, that I have been unable to find it ever since.
I would like to thank him very much.
In the land of Ingary where such things as seven-league boots and cloaks of invisibility really exist, it is quite a misfortune to be born the eldest of three. Everyone knows you are the one who will fail first, and worse, if the three of you set out to seek your fortunes.
She was not even the child of a poor woodcutter, which might have given her some chance of success! Her parents were well to do and kept a ladies' hat shop in the prosperous town of Market Chipping. -- Chapter 1 (p.1)
It was odd. As a girl, Sophie would have shriveled with embarrassment at the way she was behaving. As an old woman, she did not mind what she did or said. She found that a great relief.  -- Chapter 5 (p.83)
This record is for the book, not the movie. Please do not combine this with the movie or the DVD.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 006441034X, Mass Market Paperback)

In the land of Ingary, such things as spells, invisible cloaks, and seven-league boots were everyday things. The Witch of the Waste was another matter.

After fifty years of quiet, it was rumored that the Witch was about to terrorize the country again. So when a moving black castle, blowing dark smoke from its four thin turrets, appeared on the horizon, everyone thought it was the Witch. The castle, however, belonged to Wizard Howl, who, it was said, liked to suck the souls of young girls.

The Hatter sisters--Sophie, Lettie, and Martha--and all the other girls were warned not to venture into the streets alone. But that was only the beginning.

In this giant jigsaw puzzle of a fantasy, people and things are never quite what they seem. Destinies are intertwined, identities exchanged, lovers confused. The Witch has placed a spell on Howl. Does the clue to breaking it lie in a famous poem? And what will happen to Sophie Hatter when she enters Howl's castle?

Diana Wynne Jones's entrancing fantasy is filled with surprises at every turn, but when the final stormy duel between the Witch and the Wizard is finished, all the pieces fall magically into place.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:05 -0400)

Eldest of three sisters in a land where it is considered to be a misfortune, Sophie is resigned to her fate as a hat shop apprentice until a witch turns her into an old woman and she finds herself in the castle of the greatly feared wizard Howl.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,409,881 books! | Top bar: Always visible