Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's…

Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Castle) (original 1986; edition 2012)

by Diana Wynne Jones

Title:Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Castle)
Authors:Diana Wynne Jones
Info:Greenwillow Books (2012), Kindle Edition, 448 pages
Tags:kindle: children's

Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones (1986)

Stardust by Neil Gaiman (DeltaQueen50)
    The Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Patricia C. Wrede (Anonymous user, rosylibrarian)
    House of Many Ways by Diana Wynne Jones (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: Another in the same series featuring Howl and Sophie Pendragon (nee Hatter)
    Castle in the Air by Diana Wynne Jones (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: Also features Howl and Sophie
    Dealing with Dragons by Patricia C. Wrede (infiniteletters)
    The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster (LCoale1)
    The Enchanted Castle by E. Nesbit (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: Despite a castle being in the titles of both books, each novel is really about the human stories contained within and the characters' interaction with the magic they come in contact with.
    The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (ut.tecum.loquerer)
    A Hat Full of Sky by Terry Pratchett (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Similar style of writing - whimsical and magical
    The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner (bell7)
    Too Many Curses by A. Lee Martinez (SunnySD)
    The Changeling Sea by Patricia A. McKillip (cammykitty)
    cammykitty: sweet romance
    Flora Segunda by Ysabeau S. Wilce (foggidawn)
    Heart's Blood by Juliet Marillier (kkisser)
    Jinx by Sage Blackwood (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Similar in style and tone, both books are filled with magic and wizards, spells and rumors about mysterious and dangerous beings to be avoided.
    The Chocolatier's Wife by Cindy Lynn Speer (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Although Howl's Moving Castle is considered YA, this book reminded me of it in the whimsical and quirky way the story is written and the romance and magic involved. Both books are delightful!
    Tellos, Vol.1 by Todd Dezago (FFortuna)
    Ithanalin's Restoration by Lawrence Watt-Evans (DWWilkin)
    DWWilkin: When reading these books it seems that they have a great deal that would be make each compliment the other.
    The Fairy Godmother by Mercedes Lackey (Anonymous user)

English (250)  French (2)  Spanish (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (254)
Sophie Hatter is the oldest of three sisters which means that she is destined to never find success, while her milddle sister Lettie will go on an adventure and her youngest sister Martha will marry rich. But at least Sophie is really good with a needle and thread and so she stays behind with her stepmother Fanny and spends her days making hats. But things change quickly when the Witch of the Waste comes to her shop and curses her, turning her very old. Sophie decides to leave town and happens upon the moving castle of Wizard Howl, rumored to eat the hearts of young women. But Sophie is old now and she believes her best chances to have the curse lifted lie with Howl, so she stays.

I have seen the movie adaptation quite a few times already (in fact, I think that it might be the first Ghibli movie I ever saw) and I actually only noticed the second time around or so that it was based on a book. I also only just realized that the book is actually part of a series. Oh well. So it goes.

In any case, I really enjoyed Howl’s Moving Castle that manages to sidestep all kinds of seemingly ubiquitous and unavoidable genre rules and tropes. It was a fun read, even if I sometimes felt like I was missing some things.

Read more on my blog: http://kalafudra.com/2015/09/10/howls-moving-castle-diana-wynne-jones/ ( )
  kalafudra | Sep 14, 2015 |
Wonderful book! I love how they kept focusing on the eldest child being a failure... ( )
  allyofthedawn | Sep 12, 2015 |
@howls_moving ( )
  Lorem | Sep 4, 2015 |
Beautiful, magical, twisted and wicked. I guess watching the animated film first helped me perceive it in warmer tones. ( )
  valdanylchuk | Aug 26, 2015 |
A light, enjoyable read. My primarily compliant was that I wished their was more depth to the story and characters, although I appreciated how the author played with Sophie's conceptions about her world and family towards the beginning of the story. Fun reading. ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Jun 2, 2015 |

Diana Wynne Jonesprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Craig, DanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sessions, JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sterlin, JennyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stevens, TimIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wyatt, DavidIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This one is for Stephen
The idea for this book was suggested by a boy
in a school I was visiting, who asked me to
write a book called The Moving Castle.
I wrote down his name, and put it in such a safe
place, that I have been unable to find it ever since.
I would like to thank him very much.
In the land of Ingary where such things as seven-league boots and cloaks of invisibility really exist, it is quite a misfortune to be born the eldest of three. Everyone knows you are the one who will fail first, and worse, if the three of you set out to seek your fortunes.
She was not even the child of a poor woodcutter, which might have given her some chance of success! Her parents were well to do and kept a ladies' hat shop in the prosperous town of Market Chipping. -- Chapter 1 (p.1)
It was odd. As a girl, Sophie would have shriveled with embarrassment at the way she was behaving. As an old woman, she did not mind what she did or said. She found that a great relief.  -- Chapter 5 (p.83)
This record is for the book, not the movie. Please do not combine this with the movie or the DVD.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 006441034X, Mass Market Paperback)

In the land of Ingary, such things as spells, invisible cloaks, and seven-league boots were everyday things. The Witch of the Waste was another matter.

After fifty years of quiet, it was rumored that the Witch was about to terrorize the country again. So when a moving black castle, blowing dark smoke from its four thin turrets, appeared on the horizon, everyone thought it was the Witch. The castle, however, belonged to Wizard Howl, who, it was said, liked to suck the souls of young girls.

The Hatter sisters--Sophie, Lettie, and Martha--and all the other girls were warned not to venture into the streets alone. But that was only the beginning.

In this giant jigsaw puzzle of a fantasy, people and things are never quite what they seem. Destinies are intertwined, identities exchanged, lovers confused. The Witch has placed a spell on Howl. Does the clue to breaking it lie in a famous poem? And what will happen to Sophie Hatter when she enters Howl's castle?

Diana Wynne Jones's entrancing fantasy is filled with surprises at every turn, but when the final stormy duel between the Witch and the Wizard is finished, all the pieces fall magically into place.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:05 -0400)

Eldest of three sisters in a land where it is considered to be a misfortune, Sophie is resigned to her fate as a hat shop apprentice until a witch turns her into an old woman and she finds herself in the castle of the greatly feared wizard Howl.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,724,065 books! | Top bar: Always visible