Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's…

Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Castle) (original 1986; edition 2012)

by Diana Wynne Jones

Member:calmclam
Title:Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Castle)
Authors:Diana Wynne Jones
Info:Greenwillow Books (2012), Kindle Edition, 448 pages
Collections:Kindle
Rating:*****
Tags:kindle: children's

Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones (1986)

Recently added byreadingrachel, private library, emilymf, phoibee, nams55, Eric.Amrhein, maya121, jstevens5, mitchma
    Stardust by Neil Gaiman (DeltaQueen50)
    House of Many Ways by Diana Wynne Jones (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: Another in the same series featuring Howl and Sophie Pendragon (nee Hatter)
    The Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Patricia C. Wrede (Anonymous user, rosylibrarian)
    Castle in the Air by Diana Wynne Jones (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: Also features Howl and Sophie
    Dealing with Dragons by Patricia C. Wrede (infiniteletters)
    The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster (LCoale1)
    The Enchanted Castle by E. Nesbit (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: Despite a castle being in the titles of both books, each novel is really about the human stories contained within and the characters' interaction with the magic they come in contact with.
    The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (ut.tecum.loquerer)
    A Hat Full of Sky by Terry Pratchett (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Similar style of writing - whimsical and magical
    The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner (bell7)
    Flora Segunda: Being the Magickal Mishaps of a Girl of Spirit, Her Glass-Gazing Sidekick, Two Ominous Butlers (One Blue), a House with Eleven Thousand Rooms, and a Red Dog by Ysabeau S. Wilce (foggidawn)
    Too Many Curses by A. Lee Martinez (SunnySD)
    The Changeling Sea by Patricia A. McKillip (cammykitty)
    cammykitty: sweet romance
    Heart's Blood by Juliet Marillier (kkisser)
    The Chocolatier's Wife by Cindy Lynn Speer (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Although Howl's Moving Castle is considered YA, this book reminded me of it in the whimsical and quirky way the story is written and the romance and magic involved. Both books are delightful!
    Tellos, Vol.1 by Todd Dezago (FFortuna)
    Ithanalin's Restoration by Lawrence Watt-Evans (DWWilkin)
    DWWilkin: When reading these books it seems that they have a great deal that would be make each compliment the other.
    Jinx by Sage Blackwood (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Similar in style and tone, both books are filled with magic and wizards, spells and rumors about mysterious and dangerous beings to be avoided.
    The Fairy Godmother by Mercedes Lackey (Anonymous user)

English (276)  French (2)  Finnish (1)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All (281)
Phenomenal. I bought the trilogy after watching Hayao Miyazaki's animated version (which I honestly feel like helped spread word of the books in a great way) and I was not disappointed. There were a few interesting differences between the characters in the book (ages, combined characters in the film, added character relationships/dynamics, etc.) but I actually really appreciate the movie more in a weird way. I am a little sad to hear that Sophie and Howl aren't the main characters in the next two novels, but they are supporting characters (or so I am told) so I'm not devastated. (less) ( )
  kamikaze2011 | Apr 4, 2017 |
Howl’s Moving Castle - Diana W. Jones
Audio performance by Jenny Sterlin
4 stars

I’m not sure how I managed to miss this book when my kid’s were young. It was the a perfect book for a long car ride with restless children. There’s plenty of humor, and a little bit of a message. Sophie’s dilemma and her adventures turn a typical fairytale trope on its head ( the eldest daughter is doomed to failure) as Sophie discovers. The castle is definitely quirky. Jenny Sterlin gave an entertaining performance of all the silliness. I enjoyed it even without a carload of children. ( )
  msjudy | Feb 16, 2017 |
So much imagination. This is unlike anything I've read. I'm impressed. It totally kept my attention, and I'm an adult. Reading this as a kid must be out of this world amazing. It's great for anyone who can read, adults and kids of all ages. There's lots of magic and a great cast. ( )
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
It’s hard to review a book which is so closely associated with my childhood. I have clear memories of sneaking pages of Howl’s Moving Castle during mandatory 5th grade camp, desperately trying to air conditioned places to read in. I’m happy to say that even reading it years later, Howl’s Moving Castle is still a book worth loving.

Sophie Hatter is the oldest of three sisters, and she knows she won’t amount to much. Her youngest sister will probably go off and seek her fortune, having great adventures, but Sophie? Her future holds nothing more than hats. Then the infamous Witch of the Wastes comes into the hat shop and curses Sophie, transforming her into an old woman. In a state of shock, Sophie wanders out of the hat shop and off into the hills, where she comes across Howl’s Moving Castle. Howl is nearly as infamous as the Witch of the Waste, and Sophie’s always been told to stay away from him since he devours young women’s hearts. But Sophie’s no longer a young woman, so what does she have to be afraid of? She barges her way into Howl’s castle and makes a deal with a fire demon – if she breaks the demon’s contract with Howl, the demon will free her from the curse.

Jones’s prose is straight forward but utterly charming. Howl’s Moving Castle has something of the feel of an original fairy tale. The world of the book contains witches and wizards, seven league boots, kings and princesses, and other elements out of European fairy tales. For all that, the focus of the novel is small, centering around Sophie, Calcifer (the fire demon), Howl, and Howl’s apprentice Micheal.

The real strength of the novel lies in the characterization of Howl and Sophie. They are both likable but by no means flawless. Sophie underestimates herself for the majority of the book, and she’s got an incredibly fierce temper. Howl is vain, childish, fickle, cowardly and lazy. There’s a wonderful scene where he throws a temper tantrum about botched hair dye and Sophie shoves him fully clothed into a cold shower.

If there’s one thing that I dislike about the novel, it’s how Diana Wynne Jones always feels the need to pair everybody up at the end. It’s not a major flaw, but it’s a pattern I’ve seen in her books that annoys me.

If you’re already familiar with the animated movie, there’s still a lot to surprise you about the book. The second half of the book has an almost completely different plot than the movie, and there’s many differences of characterization. The movie sanded off a lot of Howl’s and Sophie’s rough edges, so I strongly prefer the book versions.

It was a delight to revisit this novel from my childhood, and it is a story I would recommend to anyone, of any age.

Originally posted on The Illustrated Page. ( )
2 vote pwaites | Jan 10, 2017 |

Sterlin, JennyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stevens, TimIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wyatt, DavidIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This one is for Stephen
The idea for this book was suggested by a boy
in a school I was visiting, who asked me to
write a book called The Moving Castle.
I wrote down his name, and put it in such a safe
place, that I have been unable to find it ever since.
I would like to thank him very much.
In the land of Ingary where such things as seven-league boots and cloaks of invisibility really exist, it is quite a misfortune to be born the eldest of three. Everyone knows you are the one who will fail first, and worse, if the three of you set out to seek your fortunes.
She was not even the child of a poor woodcutter, which might have given her some chance of success! Her parents were well to do and kept a ladies' hat shop in the prosperous town of Market Chipping. -- Chapter 1 (p.1)
It was odd. As a girl, Sophie would have shriveled with embarrassment at the way she was behaving. As an old woman, she did not mind what she did or said. She found that a great relief.  -- Chapter 5 (p.83)
This record is for the book, not the movie. Please do not combine this with the movie or the DVD.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 006441034X, Mass Market Paperback)

In the land of Ingary, such things as spells, invisible cloaks, and seven-league boots were everyday things. The Witch of the Waste was another matter.

After fifty years of quiet, it was rumored that the Witch was about to terrorize the country again. So when a moving black castle, blowing dark smoke from its four thin turrets, appeared on the horizon, everyone thought it was the Witch. The castle, however, belonged to Wizard Howl, who, it was said, liked to suck the souls of young girls.

The Hatter sisters--Sophie, Lettie, and Martha--and all the other girls were warned not to venture into the streets alone. But that was only the beginning.

In this giant jigsaw puzzle of a fantasy, people and things are never quite what they seem. Destinies are intertwined, identities exchanged, lovers confused. The Witch has placed a spell on Howl. Does the clue to breaking it lie in a famous poem? And what will happen to Sophie Hatter when she enters Howl's castle?

Diana Wynne Jones's entrancing fantasy is filled with surprises at every turn, but when the final stormy duel between the Witch and the Wizard is finished, all the pieces fall magically into place.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:05 -0400)

Eldest of three sisters in a land where it is considered to be a misfortune, Sophie is resigned to her fate as a hat shop apprentice until a witch turns her into an old woman and she finds herself in the castle of the greatly feared wizard Howl.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,851,476 books! | Top bar: Always visible