Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's…

Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Castle) (original 1986; edition 2012)

by Diana Wynne Jones

Member:calmclam
Title:Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Castle)
Authors:Diana Wynne Jones
Info:Greenwillow Books (2012), Kindle Edition, 448 pages
Collections:Kindle
Rating:*****
Tags:kindle: children's

Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones (1986)

Stardust by Neil Gaiman (DeltaQueen50)
    The Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Patricia C. Wrede (Anonymous user, rosylibrarian)
    House of Many Ways by Diana Wynne Jones (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: Another in the same series featuring Howl and Sophie Pendragon (nee Hatter)
    Castle in the Air by Diana Wynne Jones (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: Also features Howl and Sophie
    Dealing with Dragons by Patricia C. Wrede (infiniteletters)
    The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster (LCoale1)
    The Enchanted Castle by E. Nesbit (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: Despite a castle being in the titles of both books, each novel is really about the human stories contained within and the characters' interaction with the magic they come in contact with.
    The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (ut.tecum.loquerer)
    A Hat Full of Sky by Terry Pratchett (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Similar style of writing - whimsical and magical
    The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner (bell7)
    Too Many Curses by A. Lee Martinez (SunnySD)
    The Changeling Sea by Patricia A. McKillip (cammykitty)
    cammykitty: sweet romance
    Flora Segunda: Being the Magickal Mishaps of a Girl of Spirit, Her Glass-Gazing Sidekick, Two Ominous Butlers (One Blue), a House with Eleven Thousand Rooms, and a Red Dog by Ysabeau S. Wilce (foggidawn)
    Heart's Blood by Juliet Marillier (kkisser)
    Jinx by Sage Blackwood (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Similar in style and tone, both books are filled with magic and wizards, spells and rumors about mysterious and dangerous beings to be avoided.
    The Chocolatier's Wife by Cindy Lynn Speer (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Although Howl's Moving Castle is considered YA, this book reminded me of it in the whimsical and quirky way the story is written and the romance and magic involved. Both books are delightful!
    Tellos, Vol.1 by Todd Dezago (FFortuna)
    Ithanalin's Restoration by Lawrence Watt-Evans (DWWilkin)
    DWWilkin: When reading these books it seems that they have a great deal that would be make each compliment the other.
    The Fairy Godmother by Mercedes Lackey (Anonymous user)

English (257)  French (2)  Spanish (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (261)
I read this after seeing the Miyazaki movie recently - which, I have to admit, made it really hard to judge the book on its own merits. The cartoon is very visual and memorable, and I couldn't help "seeing" all the characters as I read the book - even when it diverged quite drastically from Miyazaki's take on the story... and there are quite a lot of differences...
for example, in the book, there's no war going on, and no mention of all the wonderfully creative steampunk-type of technology that Miyazaki created... the magical land of Ingary bears no particular resemblance to Germany. The Witch of the Waste is actually attractive, not horrific.... Sophie herself is a natural witch, and has magical powers! And the wizard Howl is actually Howell Jenkins, from Wales!!!!!! ohmy.gif
I wasn't surprised, however, to find that Howl's apprentice is given a background (an orphan, of course) in the book (the movie gives no explanation); and that in the book, the folks of the castle do NOT adopt the senile Witch at the end (that is just way too Japanese for a British writer to have come up with...)

I have to admit, although this is a VERY good fantasy, I think that overall, I liked the movie better. The visual details and characters were just so appealing.... ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
I'm having trouble coming up with an adjective that appropriately describes this book. It has a very Beedle-the-Bard-esque feel to it, with hints of Beauty and the Beast thrown in. It's the kind of book you can only write or enjoy if you still have a little bit of child left in you. A house that flies and that has a magic door that opens to several different places? Awesome. Speaking of awesome, I want to be like Sophie when I'm old.

Basically, I love this book. And gosh, Howl is adorable. ( )
  AngelClaw | Feb 3, 2016 |
i love this story! it is funny, romantic, witty, magical and adventurous. the movie is excellent as well. ( )
  Erika.D | Jan 28, 2016 |
Really really different than the movie like completely different, but in a good way. I really liked how in the book you get to see the relationship between howl and Sophie grow throughout the book and how they both change. In the movie you don't really even know Sophie is a witch unless you've read the book. Overall, the book was amazing must read even if you've seen the movie! ( )
  baumallison | Jan 25, 2016 |
Howl's Moving Castle is a sweet and humorous book about a girl who has a spell placed on her by an evil witch. The spell changed the eighteen year old girl into a ninety year old lady. The bespelled girl finds herself finding shelter in the Wizard Howl's magical moving castle. She ends up convincing him to let her stay as a cleaning lady while she tries to find the secret that will break her curse. I really enjoyed this fun book. It was a quick read and the characters were a lot of fun. Although there were some parts where I began to wonder where the story was going, the imaginative world more than made up for these. I really love the humor that Diana Wynne Jones puts in her novels. None of her characters seem to take themselves too seriously. I would definitely recommend this book to those who appreciate a little simple magic in their reads. ( )
  Cora-R | Jan 13, 2016 |

Sterlin, JennyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stevens, TimIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wyatt, DavidIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This one is for Stephen
The idea for this book was suggested by a boy
in a school I was visiting, who asked me to
write a book called The Moving Castle.
I wrote down his name, and put it in such a safe
place, that I have been unable to find it ever since.
I would like to thank him very much.
In the land of Ingary where such things as seven-league boots and cloaks of invisibility really exist, it is quite a misfortune to be born the eldest of three. Everyone knows you are the one who will fail first, and worse, if the three of you set out to seek your fortunes.
She was not even the child of a poor woodcutter, which might have given her some chance of success! Her parents were well to do and kept a ladies' hat shop in the prosperous town of Market Chipping. -- Chapter 1 (p.1)
It was odd. As a girl, Sophie would have shriveled with embarrassment at the way she was behaving. As an old woman, she did not mind what she did or said. She found that a great relief.  -- Chapter 5 (p.83)
This record is for the book, not the movie. Please do not combine this with the movie or the DVD.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 006441034X, Mass Market Paperback)

In the land of Ingary, such things as spells, invisible cloaks, and seven-league boots were everyday things. The Witch of the Waste was another matter.

After fifty years of quiet, it was rumored that the Witch was about to terrorize the country again. So when a moving black castle, blowing dark smoke from its four thin turrets, appeared on the horizon, everyone thought it was the Witch. The castle, however, belonged to Wizard Howl, who, it was said, liked to suck the souls of young girls.

The Hatter sisters--Sophie, Lettie, and Martha--and all the other girls were warned not to venture into the streets alone. But that was only the beginning.

In this giant jigsaw puzzle of a fantasy, people and things are never quite what they seem. Destinies are intertwined, identities exchanged, lovers confused. The Witch has placed a spell on Howl. Does the clue to breaking it lie in a famous poem? And what will happen to Sophie Hatter when she enters Howl's castle?

Diana Wynne Jones's entrancing fantasy is filled with surprises at every turn, but when the final stormy duel between the Witch and the Wizard is finished, all the pieces fall magically into place.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:05 -0400)

Eldest of three sisters in a land where it is considered to be a misfortune, Sophie is resigned to her fate as a hat shop apprentice until a witch turns her into an old woman and she finds herself in the castle of the greatly feared wizard Howl.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,179,562 books! | Top bar: Always visible