Age Is Just a Number: Achieve Your Dreams at…

Age Is Just a Number: Achieve Your Dreams at Any Stage in Your Life

by Dara Torres

Dara Torres is an inspiring athlete - of that there is no doubt. The trouble with Age Is Just A Number is that the book doesn't really capture that story. Instead, it is a memoir that spends too much time on the mundane and skips around abandoning the narrative thread over and over. How much of what she was able to accomplish was due to her lifestyle versus freakish genetics? This book really won't bring the reader any closer to an answer. A light read with little real meat. If you are looking for Dara Torres to inspire you, you would probably be better served to watch a Youtube video of her Olympic performance rather than treading water through this book. ( )
  csayban | Jun 10, 2014 |
I'm just now learning to swim (and I'm almost Dara Torres age), but I just really started comning into my inner athlete in the last five years. I loved Dara's story at the Olympics since I too was a new mom and don't want to be limited by my age. I always worry about biographies that they will be dry and dull, but I found myself very drawn Dara's story. It moves at a great pace, lots of fun tidbits into to the mind of a swimmer, and her energy can be felt through the pages. A great read for anyone wanting an inspiring burts of motivation. ( )
  she_climber | Apr 29, 2010 |
Dara Torres is a world class athlete and in this book she shares her secrets to success. They aren't real secrets though. This woman has trained extremely hard all of her life to be on top. And the hard work has paid off for her.

In "Age Is Just a Number" Dara talks about how she got started in swimming, and details her journey from a novice to a professional swimmer. It was pretty interesting to me to read about the amount of training that goes into becoming a professional athlete. In the book Torres also explains how she prepares for competitions and what it's like to compete in the Olympics.

The only complaint that I have is the fact that she didn't get very specific concerning her nutrition. I would have loved to find out how exactly she fuels her body. She does seem to push Living Fuel though, which is the only supplement she mentions by name.

Overall, I enjoyed learning about Dara. She impressed me with her commitment and drive. Reading this book will make you realize that there is no reason to put an age limit on your dreams. You can be successful at any age! ( )
  Lilac_Lily01 | Jun 19, 2009 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0767931904, Hardcover)

From legendary Olympic gold medalist Dara Torres comes a motivational, inspirational memoir about staying fit, aging gracefully, and pursuing your dreams.

Dara Torres captured the hearts and minds of Americans of all ages when she launched her Olympic comeback as a new mother at the age of forty-one—years after she had retired from competitive swimming and eight years since her last Olympics. When she took three silver medals in Beijing—including a heartbreaking .01-second finish behind the gold medalist in the women’s 50-meter freestyle—America loved her all the more for her astonishing achievement and her good-natured acceptance of the results.

Now, in Age Is Just a Number, Dara reveals how the dream of an Olympic comeback first came to her—when she was months into her first, hard-won pregnancy. With humor and candor, Dara recounts how she returned to serious training—while nursing her infant daughter and contending with her beloved father’s long battle with cancer.

Dara talks frankly about diving back in for this comeback; about being an older athlete in a younger athletes’ game; about competition, doubt, and belief; about working through pain and uncertainty; and finally—about seizing the moment and, most important, never giving up. A truly self-made legend, her story will resonate with women of all ages—and with anyone daring to entertain a seemingly impossible dream.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:05:53 -0400)

From legendary Olympic gold medalist Torres comes a motivational, inspirational memoir about staying fit, aging gracefully, and pursuing one's dreams.

15 wanted3 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,277,990 books! | Top bar: Always visible