Lost Boy by Brent W. Jeffs

Lost Boy (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Brent W. Jeffs, Maia Szalavitz

Another book written by a child growing up in the Fundamentalist Mormon church under the rule of the "Jeff's" Family.
Some of the abuse was rather vivid and made me uncomfortable to read so I passed over it. Again, as I did when reading Elissa's story, I felt the author needed to beg the reader to believe his story. Not that it is unbelieveable, considering how many people have come foreward, but because so many of the people who stay in the faith are denying any negative stories.
I felt his pain and how he had no hope or escape until he was not needed anymore. I do find it hard to believe that boys are thrown aside by the thousands so that the young girls are for the older men to marry. How can a faith keep populated when sending all the young men away? I don't think Warren Jeff's father (in his 80's) was having sex regularly with his 100 wives. But then, that is another book and another story. ( )
  Strawberryga | Dec 28, 2013 |
My blog post about this book is at this link. ( )
  SuziQoregon | Mar 31, 2013 |
This was a good book on the life of a boy in the Mormon Religion. I have read other books about the Mormon religion but always from a females perspective. It always amazes me how a few bad people can brainwash hundreds. ( )
  bbellthom | Jul 13, 2010 |
Amazing look into the life of a former fundamental Mormon. I was amazed that this story occurred in contemporary times. Very good book. ( )
  Venqat65 | Jun 15, 2010 |
For Clayne and David
I woke up drenched in sweat, screaming.
It was like I had a split personality. One part deeply believed everything I was told by the church and believed in hellfire and brimstone; the other part insisted that my religion made no sense and that the things I wanted to do were normal, teenage fun. In a split second, I could go back and forth--holding completely opposite positions and not even noticing the contradictions in my thinking or behavior. (p.129, First Edition, Broadway Books, 2009)
What you for yourself dies with you when you leave this world, what you do for others lives on
forever. (p. 216)

Memoir of Brent W. Jeffs, nephew of FLDS Prophet Warren Jeffs, describing his childhood and sexual abuse by Warren Jeffs, and his expulsion from the FLDS as one of its "lost boys".

In the polygamous Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (FLDS), girls can become valuable property as plural wives, but boys are expendable, even a liability. In this powerful and heartbreaking account, former FLDS member Brent Jeffs reveals both the terror and the love he experienced growing up on his prophet’s compound—and the harsh exile existence that so many boys face once they have been expelled by the sect.

Brent Jeffs is the nephew of Warren Jeffs, the imprisoned leader of the FLDS. The son of a prominent family in the church, Brent could have grown up to have multiple wives of his own and significant power in the 10,000-strong community. But he knew that behind the group’s pious public image—women in chaste dresses carrying babies on their hips—lay a much darker reality. So he walked away, and was the first to file a sexual-abuse lawsuit against his uncle. Now Brent shares his courageous story and that of many other young men who have become “lost boys” when they leave the FLDS, either by choice or by expulsion.

Brent experienced firsthand the absolute power that church leaders wield—the kind of power that corrupts and perverts those who will do anything to maintain it. Once young men no longer belong to the church, they are cast out into a world for which they are utterly unprepared. More often than not, they succumb to the temptations of alcohol and other drugs.

Tragically, Brent lost two of his brothers in this struggle, one to suicide, the other to overdose. In this book he shows that lost boys can triumph and that abuse and trauma can be overcome, and he hopes that readers will be inspired to help former FLDS members find their way in the world.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:18 -0400)

Former Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints member Brent Jeffs reveals both the terror and the love he experienced growing up on his prophet's compound--and the harsh exile existence that so many boys face once they have been expelled by the sect.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

LOST BOY by jeffsbrent was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,368,121 books! | Top bar: Always visible