Edge of Victory: Conquest v. 1 (Star Wars:…

Edge of Victory: Conquest v. 1 (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order) (original 2001; edition 2001)

by Greg Keyes

Member:geoffgibbs
Title:Edge of Victory: Conquest v. 1 (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order)
Authors:Greg Keyes
Info:Arrow Books Ltd (2001), Paperback, 302 pages
Tags:star wars, sci-fi, new jedi order, edge of victory

Conquest (Edge Of Victory I) by Greg Keyes (2001)

more action than previous NJO books ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
Stuck on Yavin 4 while trying to rescue the Jedi academy students, Anakin succeeds in getting most of them out of the system - all except his best friend Tahiri. Captured by the Yuuzhan Vong, Tahiri has fallen into the hands of heretics determined to remake her into a Yuuzhan Vong, unless Anakin can reach her in time to save her identity. A short but fun novel. ( )
  Karlstar | Jan 16, 2016 |
Another solid book in the series. It's fun to be in the Star Wars universe. ( )
  Ben_Harnwell | Apr 26, 2015 |
This book gets off to another rough start, where the man who blew up the Death Star tries to convince you that taking action against aggressors could somehow lead to the Dark Side. But roll your eyes and get on to the next scene, because after that this book is brilliant. Seriously, Top 5 Star Wars books, easy. Greg Keyes completely inhabits and understands Star Wars in a way the previous New Jedi Order writers haven't. No, I'm not saying he knows his continuity (though he does and I'll get to that in a minute), I'm saying he knows what makes Star Wars work and he's able to replicate it without making a slavish copy of the original films. (We should note that this is a skill that even George Lucas lost sometime after 1983. Probably the only other writers to possess it are Matt Stover and John Jackson Miller.) This book gives us a young man, uncertain about his place in the universe, and plunges him into a desperate adventure with group of unlikely comrades. Okay, that seems obvious, you say, but if that's obvious then why do most Star Wars writers insist on giving us "political" "thrillers"?

Young Anakin Solo disobeys Master Luke Skywalker's order to go to the Jedi Academy on Yavin 4 because he insists it's under threat from the Yuuzahn Vong. A couple of awesome action sequences later, and he's crashed in the forest with a criminal, a crazy former TIE pilot, and two kids for company, trying to rescue someone important to him. Along the way he demonstrates his basic goodness, learns some valuable moral lessons, meets more awesome characters (some of whom die), listens to mystical prophecies, and saves the day with style. It does not get any better than this!

Extra points should be given for the fact that this is the first book where the Yuuzhan Vong feel like a real civilization. A lot of this is due to Vua Rapuung, the former warrior who befriends Anakin, and is poignant, hardcore, and hilariously deadpan all at once. But there's also the various Shamed Ones and our glimpses into the mind of Nen Yim, the young heretic shaper. This book transforms the war against an unstoppable aggressor into something more meaningful and difficult.

This is the first book in the series to make me care about Anakin Solo as a character. Keyes does this partly through just being better at writing than Salvatore, Stackpole, Luceno, and Tyers, but also he's obviously the only NJO writer to actually have read the Junior Jedi Knights books. Keyes threads Conquest with characters from this series, giving Anakin's life an emotional depth-- but just like the original Star Wars works if you haven't met Luke and his adoptive parents before, so too does Conquest (I only read the first JJK book). Is Master Ikrit the greatest Jedi Master of all time? Signs point to yes. Is Anakin/Tahiri one of the few ships I could ever admit to having? Um... I guess so. (I don't think the book quite succeeds in rationalizing why we haven't seen Tahiri and Ikrit since the NJO began, though-- Anakin has been back to Yavin 4 multiple times since the death of Chewbacca, yet he's never talked to Tahiri about it? We've never even seen him avoiding her? But that's more a critique of the other NJO novels than this one; it's amazing how this book reveals the extent to which Anakin was a blank cipher in the other books.)

I remember being this the point, seven books in, where The New Jedi Order finally clicked for me, the point where it started to work and cemented itself as something worth reading. Though I am enjoying my experiment in rereading the series with all the ancillary material included, it does exacerbate the early difficulties of the NJO-- this is the fourteenth installment! If Conquest hadn't been as good as I remembered, I might have given up here, but thankfully it was excellent, and for the first time in this reread, I am avidly anticipating going onwards.

Let's close by quoting this adorable but keenly insightful bit where Anakin is watching Tahiri as she falls asleep, reflecting on the fact that he's not seen his best friend in a year and something... something is different:

By the faint orange light of the gas giant outside, he could make out traces of her features, so familiar and yet somehow different. It was as if, below the girl's face he had always known, something else was pushing up, like mountains rising, driven by the deep internal heat of a planet.
     Something you couldn't stop even if you wanted to. It made him want to hang on and run away at the same time, and in a mild epiphany he realized he had felt that way for some time.
     As children they had been best friends. But neither of them was a child anymore, not exactly.
     His arm had gone numb from her weight, but he couldn't bring himself to shift, for fear of waking her.

Awwww...

The New Jedi Order: « Previous in sequence | Next in sequence »
  Stevil2001 | Jun 26, 2014 |
This is among the best of the NJO books, perhaps SW books in general.

When the Solo kids first started playing major roles in the Expanded Universe, such as in the Jedi Academy series or the Corellian trilogy, I usually rolled my eyes at the ridiculous situations they found themselves in and even solved as children (Jedi or not). Now that they're in their later teens, I can relish the roles they're taking on. This book focuses mainly on Anakin Solo, and I think Keyes does a very nice job with him as a character at this stage of life - powerful, raw, uncertain. This, I think, is the Anakin Skywalker we all wanted to see.

I also like that we get a glimpse into Yuuzhan Vong culture beyond that of the warriors, and get a sense of them as individuals rather than just a mindless mass of violence. Finally we have an author who gives them some depth. I really dig the story surrounding their shapers and the protocols they must follow - it reminds me of medieval times when monks were proprietors of medical "knowledge" and treating patients with more scientific methods was considered heresy, even when it worked. Nice touch, that.

I still think there's way too much deliberation on the nature and intent of the Force. Some of it plays into the story, but mostly it's just blather. I think there's a time and a place for that sort of thing, and in another, quieter type of novel it would be interesting. But this is a war story, and all this quibbling over what should and should not be done with the Force just seems like (and probably is nothing more than) a way to stretch out the story so it encompasses more books. ( )
1 vote jonwwil | Jul 31, 2010 |

Greg Keyesprimary authorall editionscalculated
Nielsen, TereseCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Charlie Sheffer
And all of my friends at Selle Auriol Seattle
Dorsk 82 ducked behind the stone steps of the quay, just in time to dodge a blaster bolt from across the water.

No longer content with the destruction the Yuuzhan Vong have already sown, Warmaster Tsavong Lah has demanded the heads of all the Jedi. Now the Jedi Knights are in terrible danger -- and none more so than the young students at the Jedi academy on Yavin 4. Already the sympathizers known as the Peace Brigade are in the Yavin system -- and a Yuuzhan Vong fleet is not far behind.

When it comes to confidence, courage, and raw Force talent, Anakin has few peers. But when his friend Tahiri is separated from the other academy kids and captured by the Yuuzhan Vong, even Anakin may be in over his head. For the aliens have a different future in mind for Tahiri, and they will stop at nothing to achieve their horrific ends . . .

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345428641, Mass Market Paperback)

The dazzling Star Wars space adventure continues in The New Jedi Order as Luke Skywalker, Anakin Solo, Mara Jade Skywalker, and others battle their deadliest enemy in a tale of nonstop action, shadowy evil, and spectacular triumph . . .

No longer content with the destruction the Yuuzhan Vong have already sown, Warmaster Tsavong Lah has demanded the heads of all the Jedi. Now the Jedi Knights are in terrible danger–and none more so than the young students at the Jedi academy on Yavin 4. Already the sympathizers known as the Peace Brigade are in the Yavin system–and a Yuuzhan Vong fleet is not far behind.

At Luke Skywalker’s request, Talon Karrde mounts an expedition to rescue the young students. Anakin Solo has his own ideas. Impatient, and figuring that forgiveness is easier to come by than permission, he takes off for Yavin 4 in his X-wing.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:31 -0400)

"No longer content with the destruction the Yuuzhan Vong have already sown, Warmaster Tsavong Lah has demanded the heads of all the Jedi. Now the Jedi Knights are in terrible danger, and none more so than the young students at the Jedi academy on Yavin 4. Already the sympathizers known as the Peace Brigade are in the Yavin systemand a Yuuzhan Vong fleet is not far behind. At Luke Skywalker's request, Talon Karrde mounts an expedition to rescue the young students. Anakin Solo has his own ideas. Impatient, and figuring that forgiveness is easier to come by than permission, he takes off for Yavin 4 in his X-wing. When it comes to confidence, courage, and raw Force talent, Anakin has few peers. But when his friend Tahiri is separated from the other academy kids and captured by the Yuuzhan Vong, even Anakin may be in over his head. For the aliens have a different future in mind for Tahiri, and they will stop at nothing to achieve their horrific ends"--Publisher description.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,888,796 books! | Top bar: Always visible