The Untamed Bride by Stephanie Laurens

The Untamed Bride

by Stephanie Laurens

Series: Black Cobra Quartet (1)

Laurens provides appearances from many Cynsters and Bastion Club heroes and heroine while beginning a new quartet centered on stopping an Indian cabal intent on making money regardless of the human cost. Del, recently retired Colonel Derek Delborough, meets his match in the strong spirited Deliah Duncannon who insists they work together as equals to being the hidden mastermind of the Black Cobra into the light. This Regency era romance that mixes espionage, adventure, and steamy sensuality. ( )
  ktoonen | Feb 21, 2013 |
I didn't really like Simon Prebble's narration - it was too much like a VB ad - "matter of fact, I've got it now". Story was a bit ordinary too. ( )
  Kaetrin | Aug 13, 2012 |
Stephanie Laurens has created a new series that utilizes characters from her Cynster series. It's great to see characters that you already feel comfortable with who will come to the aid of the new characters in this series.

Derek Delborough and four of his friends are serving in India when they come across information that could end the reign of the Black Cobra. They make copies of the letter, separate, and head back to England to try to bring down the villain. When Del in arrives in Southampton, he is enlisted against his will to escort Deliah Duncannon north.

The Black Cobra's minions try to intercept them as they travel and gain the letter. The relationship that develops and the adventures involved are entertaining along with the chance t o see old friends. ( )
  cyderry | Sep 30, 2011 |
Set later than the Bastion Club novels this is a story that has the members of that club as secondary characters. Starting off in India with five men who are reduced to four, who have to get proof of evildoing to England. They are pursued by this man, who has connections high up in England and the cultists he has collected around him.

Now the story isn't bad but you know from the setup that it's all about these four men and the story won't be resolved properly until the fourth book. The characters were quite well written and I love Deliah, though I do think having male and female romance characters who start with the same name doesn't quite work for me, particularly as he has a different first name, Derek, it's his surname, Delborough, that provides the nickname and with folks like Devil etc around, he could have been Rough! Still, they were good characters who had to resolve their issues before becoming a proper pair. I also liked the way the spy came into their lives! ( )
  wyvernfriend | Jul 28, 2011 |
When I first spied The Untamed Bride and found it was the first of four books in The Black Cobra Quartet I was excited. Its been a while since I've read a Stephanie Laurens novel and I must admit I simply adored the Cynsters - although by the time the last novel in that series came along I was ready for a pirate or a vampire. Then came The Bastion Club and for some reason I couldn't wrap my head around the sameness of those books. They were plotted exactly like the Cynster series although mercifully there were less of the Bastion Club novels.

So I picked up The Untamed Bride hoping to find a change. Well the locale has been changed and the premise is good - four officers of the Crown fight against a deadly enemy called the Black Cobra. They are charged with learning his identity (in India), procuring evidence against him, and bringing said evidence back to London. Since the Black Cobra knows the identities of these officers it is most unwise for them to travel together so each carries identical boxes containing the so-called evidence. However, only one of them carries the real thing; the others carry copies. Not even the officers knows which of them carries the real thing. They are each given a different route by which to return to England. At least this device gives us a glimpse of different locales.

Of course we have a lovely British lass, the handsome and dashing British officer, some contrived reason for them to be together, at least two good reasons why each of them hasn't thought about or sought marriage, and the eventual falling into each other's arms.

The trick with this book, and one that Ms. Laurens is a master of, is weaving four tangled threads (the books in the quartet) and making the reader wait until the last book to bring everything together. That is about the only reason that I can find to read all four books.

If you are a die-hard Stephanie Laurens fan then you will of course adore The Untamed Bride. Likewise, if you are reading this historical romance for pure escapism, then you are bound to enjoy this book. I found it good enough for those reasons although if I don't get to read the successive books for a year or two it won't bother me in the least. ( )
  AuthorMarion | Feb 7, 2011 |

Laurens, Stephanieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Prebble, SimonNarratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
"I can't stress how important it is that we behead this fiend."

Blurb: They're battle hardened, sinfully wealthy, completely unstoppable - and all male: Four officers of the Crown fighting against a deadly foe known only as the Black Cobra. He is a man who has faced peril without flinching, determined to fight for king and country. She is a bold, beautifuyl woman with a scandalous past, destined to become an untamed bride. Together they must vanquish the ruthless enemy, while confronting the dangers of the heart......

"They're battle-hardened, sinfully wealthy, completely unstoppable--and all male: Four officers of the Crown, fighting against a deadly foe known only as the Black Cobra. He is a man who has faced peril without flinching, determined to fight for king and country. She is a bold, beautiful woman with a scandalous past, destined to become an untamed bride. Together they must vanquish the ruthless enemy, while confronting the dangers of the heart..."--p. [4] of cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,598,467 books! | Top bar: Always visible