The Stonemason: A Play in Five Acts by…

The Stonemason: A Play in Five Acts

by Cormac McCarthy

i was surprised to find that mccarthy had written a play, and then even more surprised to find - while tragic, of course - that there are parts that made me laugh. this is a quick, short play, but one that has a lot of layers that i will enjoy teasing out as i think on it over the next few days...and i like that he actually helps me out a bit by giving some of the information himself in the stage direction that opens the play, taking away some of the guesswork about his intention and meaning.

"The arc of the moral universe is indeed long but it does bend toward justice."

"Bein old dont shelter people from ignorance. Ought to, but it dont." ( )
  elisa.saphier | Jan 15, 2015 |
As spare as Cormac McCarthy writes his novels' prose, a play is even sparser. Sparser, but not emptier.

This didn't have the coin and the die that recur throughout his fiction but it did have cut vs. uncut stone. In the OT God doesn't want his altars made of cut stone.
  ljhliesl | May 21, 2013 |

From a writer hailed as an American original -- and the author of the national bestsellers All the Pretty Horses and The Crossing -- comes a taut, expansively imagined drama about four generations of an African American family.

The setting is Louisville, Kentucky, in the 1970s. The Telfairs are stonemasons and have been for generations. Ben Telfair has given up his education to apprentice himself to his grandfather, Papaw, a man who knows that "true masonry is not held together by cement but...by the warp of the world." Out of the love that binds these two men and the gulf that separates them from the Telfairs who have forsaken -- or dishonored -- the family trade, Cormac McCarthy has crafted a drama that bears all the hallmarks of his great fiction: precise observation of the physical world; language that has the bite of common speech and the force of Biblical prose; and a breathtaking command of the art of storytelling.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:44 -0400)

The Stonemason is a profoundly moving drama set in Louisville, Kentucky in the 1970s, concerning several generations of a black family. McCarthy's narrator, Ben, reveals a painful episode in his family's history, grounding us at the same time in the beautiful dynamic between him and his grandfather, Papaw. Ben, Ben's father, and Papaw are all stonemasons, but in descriptions of "the trade" we learn as much about this family's capacity for love as we do about constructing sound foundations for houses, barns and bridges. Papaw's knowledge about stonemasonry is analogous to his deep spiritual wisdom, and Ben recognizes both as he looks back on his apprenticeship in the "trade at which I thought myself a master and of which I stood in darkest ignorance. And as I came to know him ... As I came to know him ... Oh I could hardly believe my good fortune. I swore then I'd cleave to that old man like a bride. I swore he'd take nothing to his grave." Papaw's son Big Ben and great-grandson Soldier do not respond as whole-heartedly to the old man's wealth of knowledge and patient guidance and the tragedy of the story is largely rooted in this fact. Both of these characters have lost connection with the work of their hands and by association with the earth, their family, and themselves. They are profoundly dissatisfied. Of his father, Ben later wonders, "Why could he not see the worth of that which he had laid aside and the poverty of all he hungered for? Why could he not see that he too was blest?" The Stonemason reveals afresh the mastery of character, plot, pathos, and the poetic facility for language that distinguishes Cormac McCarthy's fiction, and which recently earned him the National Book Award for his bestselling novel, All The Pretty Horses.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,368,835 books! | Top bar: Always visible