Forge by Laurie Halse Anderson

Forge (edition 2010)

by Laurie Halse Anderson (Author)

Member:kjanesh
Title:Forge
Authors:Laurie Halse Anderson (Author)
Info:Atheneum Books for Young Readers (2012), 320 pages
Collections:Campus ESL Classroom

Forge by Laurie Halse Anderson

Chains by Laurie Halse Anderson (girlfromshangrila)
    girlfromshangrila: This is an ongoing series. Chains is the first part, and Forge the second. Chains tells the story from Isabel's perspective. Forge picks up where Chains left, and is told from Curzon's perspective.
    The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing, Traitor to the Nation, Volume I: The Pox Party by M. T. Anderson (meggyweg)
    The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing, Traitor to the Nation, Volume II: The Kingdom on the Waves by M. T. Anderson (meggyweg)

What an excellent book! ( )
  EdenSteffey | Mar 14, 2018 |
What a great sequel to CHAINS. FORGE takes some unexpected turns. Couzon and Isabel have split ways, and Couzon finds himself once more fighting for Revolutionary forces at Valley Forge, enduring a horrible winter of starvation, cold and misery. I can't tell much more, without spoiling the plto. I found the writing in the book to be of greater literary merit than CHAINS. A very balanced picture is drawn of the view of slavery at the time of the American Revolution. It's been meticulously researched. The greatest debate in the book is what do we want versus what do we need. For example, Couzon thinks he would be better off serving in the house of an officer than starving in a tent in winter; however, he feels differently once this actually happens, driving home the point that freedom means freedom to choose. ( )
  MsKathleen | Jan 29, 2018 |
This was a marvelous continuation of the series, told this time from Curzon's perspective. The first-hand glimpse at the hardships of Valley Forge were rivetting and accessible. I am very eager for the 3rd book to be released and learn more of the trials of Curzon and Isabel! ( )
  lissabeth21 | Oct 3, 2017 |
Review: Forge by Laurie Halse Anderson. I read “Chains” the first book and really liked it. This is the second book of the trilogy and I was disappointed because it wasn’t as captivating or as interesting. The third book is “Ashes” but I don’t think I’ll run right and get the book. It wasn’t a bad read and it followed the adventures of two slaves during Washington’s time and the war but the story seemed uneventful and not as intriguing. The story starts out with Curzon, a black slave who thought he was free, joined the Army to be hidden among a military society to reassure he wouldn’t be recaptured and sent back to his master. The group of men he was with traveled many miles to Valley Forge, Pennsylvania during the winter of 1777 in an area where there were over ten thousand soldiers camping waiting for their command to march forward and fight the British. They were there a few months being mistreated by the Army. They stayed there with no pay, very little clothing, no jackets to wear and some with no boots, living crowded in small tents, with little food, some days no food, through sub-zero weather. The officers were well-cloth, plenty of good food, and they had the young soldiers digging trenches and cutting down trees to build shelters for the officers first and then a shelter of their own in their poor conditions. I will say Anderson does a great job establishing an accurate description of the horrid living conditions in the colonial military and the battle scenes are equally accurate to our history knowledge of that time. One day the higher command were making a stop at this camp and Curzon’s old master just had to be one of these officer‘s. When they left he made Curzon leave the camp under false pretenses and brought him back to where he was staying and made him become his slave once again. However, by all accounts Curzon should have been free because of a bargain he made with his master but he had no papers stating he was a free man. Then soon Curzon is surprised when he sees Isabel, once a complicated relationship from his past where both ran from their masters and soon separated by stubbornness, each going their own way. Curzon still carried strong feelings for Isabel. When she was caught and brought back she kept trying to run so her master made an iron collar to fit around her neck and kept the only key on him this way she would be always recognized as a slave. Time goes on but Curzon and Isabel never forget their main goal to be free….That got their chance to run once again but what lead up to their release didn’t make their master pleased. Will they be caught again…? Only the third book will give us the answers…. ( )
  Juan-banjo | May 31, 2016 |
I didn't think this book had a very cohesive plot. It rambled from event to event without an indication of where it was headed. I thought Chains was a much better book. ( )
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
"Can you walk?" someone asked me. I blinked against the bright light and squinted.

Sequel in the trilogy by Laurie Halse Anderson. There have only been two of the three books published; "Chains" and "Forge". I have not yet read "Forge" but I am putting it on my "To-read" list. I can't find it in any libraries because it was published 11 days ago.

Separated from his friend Isabel after their daring escape from slavery, fifteen-year-old Curzon serves as a free man in the Continental Army at Valley Forge until he and Isabel are thrown together again, as slaves once more.

Laurie Halse Anderson is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,849,943 books! | Top bar: Always visible