After by Amy Efaw

Info:Viking Juvenile (2009), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 350 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Tags:Read, Read in 2013

After by Amy Efaw

English (81)  German (1)  All languages (82)
It's funny that I read this book and "These Things Hidden" by Heather Gudenkauf practically back-to-back because o the surface, they appear to be similar. Straight-A student gets pregnant. Hides pregnancy from all those around her. Bad decision is made when the student gives birth. Commence story.

The two books may be similar on the surface but were very, very different once you got past the first chapter. This is the one I liked better because it told more of an emotional story. It did not have the plot twists of Gudenkauf's work but I also wasn't rushing ahead, skipping over long passages because I was eager to find out how the characters were connected. There was only one character of any important in "After".

I hope to see more from Efaw. ( )
  olegalCA | Dec 9, 2014 |

I hope to see more from Efaw. ( )
  olegalCA | Dec 9, 2014 |
Fifteen year old Devon gives birth, puts her newborn into a trash can, and goes back to sleep. Told through flashbacks from her cell in a juvenile detention center, and in the courtroom, Amy Efaw takes the reader through the inner turmoil of a young teen's mind who has denied her pregnancy for 9 months and details what that denial cost her. ( )
  ShouldIReadIt | Sep 26, 2014 |
I finished this audiobook in two days and absolutely loved it. How could someone deny a pregnancy, and what happens when they can no longer deny it?

This story provided an interesting perspective behind why someone would hide their pregnancy and throw their baby away. It also provides the reader with a glimpse into the judicial system, although the majority of the story revolves around fifteen year old Devon and how/when she comes to terms with the reality of what she did.

The only part of the audiobook that I did not like was the mother's character. It didn't seem authentic to me. She was always a little TOO perky, upbeat, outgoing... even in inappropriate circumstances. She seemed more immature than her daughter, Devon, which is perhaps how the author intended for her to be.

I'm looking forward to reading future books by this author, but after reading her bio and how she is busy with 5 kids of her own, it may be a while. ( )
  recipe_addict | Sep 21, 2014 |

recipe_addict | Sep 21, 2014 |

Amy Efawprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Soler, RebeccaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Can a mother forget the baby at her breast and have no compassion on the child she has borne?"
Isaiah 49:15 (NIV translation)
To "Baby Nick" and "Baby Vaughn," and to the countles babies who were never found and have no names and to the girls at Remann Hall.
The TV's on, some lame morning show.The reception's lousy, and the sound's off. But Devon isn't really watching, anyway.

Fifteen-year-old straight-A student and star athlete Devon Davenport lies on the sofa mindlessly watching morning TV. She is in physical pain, and her only recourse is to mentally disconnect. In complete denial that she is pregnant, Devon leaves her baby in the trash to die, and after the baby is discovered, Devon is accused of attempted murder.

In complete denial that she is pregnant, straight-A student and star athlete Devon Davenport leaves her baby in the trash to die, and after the baby is discovered, Devon is accused of attempted murder.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,357,503 books! | Top bar: Always visible