After by Amy Efaw

Info:Viking Juvenile (2009), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 350 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Tags:Read, Read in 2013

After by Amy Efaw

English (82)  German (1)  All languages (83)
In October I was in the worst reading slump ever so I decided to get away from all ARCs and read something that would regain my interest in writing so I started browsing the library ebook selection and came across After. The first thing I noticed was the cover, the reflection shows a baby bump and the other doesn’t. I thought well this should be interesting.

Then I read the synopsis and I was really interested. A book about a girl who hid her pregnancy and than threw out her baby? That is unlike anything I have ever read. It was hard to separate the mom in me from the story because I couldn’t help but think “How could you do that to defenseless child?” I couldn’t understand and at the end of the story I still didn’t really understand.

Devon is the girl who you’d strive to be she’s on top of her class she’s an amazing athlete. She’s very responsible and not the kind of girl who’d get pregnant at 15. And she’s definitely not the kind of girl who hides her pregnancy and than throws away her baby. No she’s not that kind of girl but is she?

I understood being afraid to admit to be pregnant. I was 19 when I became pregnant with my son and I hid me pregnancy for about three and half months until I could finally face the fact that I was indeed pregnant. In a way, I understood Devon not wanting to face the music so to speak. But to deliberately hide her pregnancy and than try and get rid of it was something I just couldn’t understand.

I personally didn’t like Devon much and it may have had to do with the fact that she did throw away her baby. But it was also this sense of lack of responsibility. Especially when she arrived in juvenile detention, she was so judgmental especially when it came to other girls. She was what I would call a snob; she couldn’t believe she was in a place like that with people like them. And that really bothered me because she just couldn’t understand her actions.

What I personally liked about the story was the courtroom action; I loved hearing about how things worked in juvenile hall and how the courtrooms handle cases like Devon’s. It really made the story realistic.

Overall, I thought this story was unique and definitely different from most young adult novels. I however, had a hard time getting over what Devon did and lack of connection with the baby. So for me, this was a 3 star book but who knows maybe it’ll be your five star read.
  tina_thebookworm | Feb 12, 2016 |
It's almost to the end of the book before the reader understands to some extent why Devon would abandon her newborn baby in the trash can. I found the novel a tad overlong but Devon's crime, her time in juvenile detention and the courtroom drama will attract teen readers, and as far as I know, this is a first title of its kind in YA lit. The author has obviously done her research; some of the people she interviewed turn up as characters in the book. Lib notes: graphic descriptions of Devon's actions after the baby is born. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
I liked the premise of this book and thought it gave a good insight into the juvenile detention centre, but I did not care for the main character nor her mother. I found Devon to be extremely annoying and her story unbelievable, especially when she claims that she had no knowledge of her pregnancy. The only character I had empathy with was Dom, Devon's lawyer. At least she was gritty and hard-hitting, refusing to accept her client's non-committal responses. This could have been a really good book, but unfortunately it failed to deliver. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 23, 2016 |
It's funny that I read this book and "These Things Hidden" by Heather Gudenkauf practically back-to-back because o the surface, they appear to be similar. Straight-A student gets pregnant. Hides pregnancy from all those around her. Bad decision is made when the student gives birth. Commence story.

The two books may be similar on the surface but were very, very different once you got past the first chapter. This is the one I liked better because it told more of an emotional story. It did not have the plot twists of Gudenkauf's work but I also wasn't rushing ahead, skipping over long passages because I was eager to find out how the characters were connected. There was only one character of any important in "After".

I hope to see more from Efaw. ( )
  olegalCA | Dec 9, 2014 |
Fifteen year old Devon gives birth, puts her newborn into a trash can, and goes back to sleep. Told through flashbacks from her cell in a juvenile detention center, and in the courtroom, Amy Efaw takes the reader through the inner turmoil of a young teen's mind who has denied her pregnancy for 9 months and details what that denial cost her. ( )
  ShouldIReadIt | Sep 26, 2014 |

Amy Efawprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Soler, RebeccaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Can a mother forget the baby at her breast and have no compassion on the child she has borne?"
Isaiah 49:15 (NIV translation)
To "Baby Nick" and "Baby Vaughn," and to the countles babies who were never found and have no names and to the girls at Remann Hall.
The TV's on, some lame morning show.The reception's lousy, and the sound's off. But Devon isn't really watching, anyway.

Fifteen-year-old straight-A student and star athlete Devon Davenport lies on the sofa mindlessly watching morning TV. She is in physical pain, and her only recourse is to mentally disconnect. In complete denial that she is pregnant, Devon leaves her baby in the trash to die, and after the baby is discovered, Devon is accused of attempted murder.

In complete denial that she is pregnant, straight-A student and star athlete Devon Davenport leaves her baby in the trash to die, and after the baby is discovered, Devon is accused of attempted murder.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,855,019 books! | Top bar: Always visible