After by Amy Efaw

Info:Viking Juvenile (2009), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 350 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Tags:Read, Read in 2013

After by Amy Efaw

English (84)  German (1)  All languages (85)
It's almost to the end of the book before the reader understands to some extent why Devon would abandon her newborn baby in the trash can. I found the novel a tad overlong but Devon's crime, her time in juvenile detention and the courtroom drama will attract teen readers, and as far as I know, this is a first title of its kind in YA lit. The author has obviously done her research; some of the people she interviewed turn up as characters in the book. Lib notes: graphic descriptions of Devon's actions after the baby is born. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
I liked the premise of this book and thought it gave a good insight into the juvenile detention centre, but I did not care for the main character nor her mother. I found Devon to be extremely annoying and her story unbelievable, especially when she claims that she had no knowledge of her pregnancy. The only character I had empathy with was Dom, Devon's lawyer. At least she was gritty and hard-hitting, refusing to accept her client's non-committal responses. This could have been a really good book, but unfortunately it failed to deliver. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 23, 2016 |
It's funny that I read this book and "These Things Hidden" by Heather Gudenkauf practically back-to-back because o the surface, they appear to be similar. Straight-A student gets pregnant. Hides pregnancy from all those around her. Bad decision is made when the student gives birth. Commence story.

The two books may be similar on the surface but were very, very different once you got past the first chapter. This is the one I liked better because it told more of an emotional story. It did not have the plot twists of Gudenkauf's work but I also wasn't rushing ahead, skipping over long passages because I was eager to find out how the characters were connected. There was only one character of any important in "After".

I hope to see more from Efaw. ( )
  olegalCA | Dec 9, 2014 |

Amy Efawprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Soler, RebeccaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Can a mother forget the baby at her breast and have no compassion on the child she has borne?"
Isaiah 49:15 (NIV translation)
To "Baby Nick" and "Baby Vaughn," and to the countles babies who were never found and have no names and to the girls at Remann Hall.
The TV's on, some lame morning show.The reception's lousy, and the sound's off. But Devon isn't really watching, anyway.

Fifteen-year-old straight-A student and star athlete Devon Davenport lies on the sofa mindlessly watching morning TV. She is in physical pain, and her only recourse is to mentally disconnect. In complete denial that she is pregnant, Devon leaves her baby in the trash to die, and after the baby is discovered, Devon is accused of attempted murder.

In complete denial that she is pregnant, straight-A student and star athlete Devon Davenport leaves her baby in the trash to die, and after the baby is discovered, Devon is accused of attempted murder.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,140,396 books! | Top bar: Always visible