It's Not an All Night Fair by Pramoedya…

It's Not an All Night Fair (1951)

by Pramoedya Ananta Toer

Dutch (1)  English (1)  All (2)
I forget who said (want to think it was Pamuk), 'Every man's death begins with the death of his father', but it is that quote that this book kept whispering in my head. This is a simple story, a sad story, a story of death... a son returns home to central Java to see his dying father and tries to find meaning in his father's life and in his own in a world that makes little sense.

I looked out of the window again. Rubber plantations followed, fast one after the other. Small towns which I often used to pass through before, I now passed through again. And scores of memories, some bitter, some pleasant, invaded my thoughts at their own will. And it was then that I realized: sometimes a man isn't strong enough to fight against his own memories. And I smiled at my realization. Yes, sometimes unconsciously man is too strong and drowns his own awareness. I smiled again.

-----

On this earth men aren't born into the world in swarms nor do they return to the earth in swarms. One by one they come. One by one they go. And those who have not gone anxiously await the moment when their souls will fly away to who knows where...
1 vote Banoo | Dec 14, 2009 |
In fact the letter wouldn't have been so distressing, if only I hadn't previously sent a letter whose content didn't make pleasant reading.
Fünfzehn oder zwanzig Kilometer radzufahren, das ist keine schwere Sache für einen Lehrer. Schwer ist das Unterrichten und das bitterherbe Hinunterschlucken-Müssen der Erziehungsfehler der Eltern dieser Schüler. Das ist es, was einen Lehrer sehr leicht mürbe macht.
"Warum muss es den Krieg geben, Mas?"
"Weil der Mensch nicht weiss, was er tut, Schwester. Weil der Mensch nichts begreift."

Now available for the first time in English, a classic from "a novelist who should get in line for the Nobel Prize" (Los Angeles Times)

Pramoedya Ananta Toer is Indonesia's most celebrated writer, with over thirty works of fiction translated into over thirty languages, and the recipient of many major international awards, including the grand prize in the Fukuoka Asian Culture Prize competition, Japan's highest literary honor. Narrated in the first person in Pramoedya's signature style, It's Not an All Night Fair tells the deeply affecting story of a son returning home to central Java to confront the fact of his father's death. Struggling to understand his reticent father, the son embarks on a personal quest to find value and meaning not only in his father's life but also in his own.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:41 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,058,782 books! | Top bar: Always visible